Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I wait for Model X Refresh???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wait? No.
There will be incremental improvements all the time and nobody is telling the public when or what, but the quality is there and performance already exceeds the range needs of anyone that doesn't have long distance towing as a deciding factor.
Faster touchscreen (MCU) and comfy ventilated seats are nice to have, but again, not essential, just nice to have, like DL, nobody needs Insane, let alone Ludicrous, but (very) nice to have. Don't wait.
It will be years before a "wow!" update to the X. Once the Roadster or Pickup unveil the next generation batteries, then we'll see that go into the S3XY cars. That's when I'll update.
Next is the Y, then the pickup, Semi, and the Roadster ... all "by 2020" ... who knows ... maybe first customers in 2021 ... then the resources would be available for Tesla to "fix what ain't broke."

We have an '18 P100D with the vented seats and upgraded MCU, and a '16 P90D with everything including the retractable wing ... I really like that wing ... : ) I'm going to try to update the P100D with that wing from the parts department. Is a used '16 X worth its market price? Yes. Is a new or used '18 P100D "worth it" ... hell no ... good grief, it's $150K+ ... basically $200K with CA taxes to get it depreciating on your balance sheet. But it's still a ****ing amazing daily driver. Wait? No.

My recommendation would be to get any X with a clean service history and not one with a stack of problems in its records. There have been some real lemons. Our '16 has had zero defects from the factory (perfect paint, wing doors never malfunctioned, no leaks, no gremlins) and each of the problems have been nuisances, not nightmares -- it has never failed to answer the key and go to the destination, never left us on the side of the road, never failed to impress us as an entirely new level of personal transport.

Every day I spent in a "luxury" Mercedes GL AMG or Porsche Cayenne Turbo S was a day lost. Sure, I enjoyed them in their day, but I just plain didn't know any better. I went to the very first customer ride-a-long of the Roadster and thought "I'll wait." What an idiot. We all stood around and said "wow ... but it's a Lotus with arc welder cables and a washing machine motor hanging out the back ... and the cabin looks like my nephew made it with his neighbor's sewing machine and some hot-melt glue ...." What mistake to miss out on that experience. I had one of the first batch of Model S's and decided "nope" (mistake) and the first batch of Model S with the first ever mention of Ludicrous and "sports" seats ... I passed on that one, too, though I think I probably made the right call because it would be another 6 to 9 months before that car finally worked as advertised ... I was an early-adopter who tended to wait, but now I'm just an early adopter (and looking forward to the Model 3 Performance (due to me in August) and the Roadster 2.0 (ordered during the unveiling) ... not waiting again!

I've lived with a 2016 X for 40K+ miles and I know what it's missing (360 surround parking cameras, range while towing, Android Auto, real ventilated seats, wiper/washer on the backup camera, removable 3rd row seats in the 6-seater, comfort mode in the air suspension) and it's 1000-2000lbs too heavy, it's too wide for city driving and parking, Autopilot has been turned into a nagging nanny, it doesn't have AEB or blind spot alert, and the body panel alignment around the wing doors is kit-car quality) but to repeat a cliche of thankfulness repeated by many others before me, a Tesla is like my wife: I'm not worthy of such good fortune and her shortcomings like the shortcomings of the X are invisible to me. : )
Thank you so much for thoughtful response. I had looked at used and hard for me to spend 80-90k in used car... just feels like it should be new.

I guess I just have a bad case of FOMO.

Seems like the 3 has the better tech and arguably layout and S/X will align.

Frustrated they put ventilated seats in P100d but not the others.

Little become big things.

Seems like the 3 has the better tech and arguably layout and S/X will align.

Try driving a Model X and then a Model 3 and then let me know if you still believe that. Driving a model 3 feels like a Civic compared to driving an Acura. And that's what its meant to be, a mass market consumer car, not high end performance vehicle.

The discussions are filled with build quality issues that should have been fixed for MX already and that scares me.

Few people come to forums to post: "no or few problems -- all is well." It just doesn't make for an interesting thread.

Here's something to consider:

Car Brands Ranked by Owner Satisfaction

Unless you're getting younger each day, you're late to the party.

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
I would be driving a model x now if it weren't for ONE thing: No moonroof. That's an absolute no go for me. So, got an S instead.

If they revise the X to have a moonroof later I'll likely consider selling the S for the X at that point (though, my wife would kill me).

But, for me, no moonroof, no sale.
I know you mean the open air & flow above your head, but I'm quite happy with huge MX view straight up to the moon. Trips skiing and thru redwoods in Mendocino are fantastic enough, day & nite.

Model X refresh, who started that dumb rumor?
One of them is a member who used to have an username of "DougH" ;) He stated he knew a friend's friend or something about doing contracting work for Tesla who stated major refresh was happening in 2017 or something. He sold his Model X and got in an used Rav4 waiting for the refresh to come out. I wonder what happened afterwards. My best guess is that he changed to Plan B.
I would be driving a model x now if it weren't for ONE thing: No moonroof. That's an absolute no go for me. So, got an S instead.

If they revise the X to have a moonroof later I'll likely consider selling the S for the X at that point (though, my wife would kill me).

But, for me, no moonroof, no sale.
Well I am glad Tesla has the right car for you. No one makes a car that fits everyone's needs.

I think if you already had a Tesla you can be choosier with whenever you feel like upgrading.

If not already in a Tesla, everyday on the road is missing out.

A car ordered the same day you pick up yours has some kind of incremental improvement in the works but that’s just the way it is.

You just have to decide if you are happy with the car and if it suits your needs today and tomorrow. Just waiting on a “better” Model X is a never ending goal with the post moving constantly.

How nice the refreshed car which comes out x timeframe and has y features and has z bugs while subtracting g features and canceling h grandfathered perk while dealing with t unknown of tax credit cutoff makes...

The whole thing a magic 8 ball.

Good luck on the perfect timing. :)

I know you mean the open air & flow above your head, but I'm quite happy with huge MX view straight up to the moon. Trips skiing and thru redwoods in Mendocino are fantastic enough, day & nite.

Agreed. while a moonroof is nice, I prefer self presenting doors and a large panoramic windshield I'd use everyday vs a moonroof id open once a week.

No model X refresh on the horizon. Elon will be too busy with model 3 production, roadster 2020 development, semi development and model Y.

Elon has always said the best time to buy is NOW! also with the OTA over the air updates the car feels newer with each surprise updates and also have unlocked some performance + range too

Reactions: Nerdy_Engineer
Our '16 has had zero defects from the factory (perfect paint, wing doors never malfunctioned, no leaks, no gremlins) and each of the problems have been nuisances, not nightmares -- it has never failed to answer the key and go to the destination, never left us on the side of the road, never failed to impress us as an entirely new level of personal transport

Same here. VIN in the 4,000's. 90D.

Reactions: P90D
I'm in a similar boat, ready to pull the trigger on a new MX soon but I'm waiting for 3 things:
  1. Demonstrated ability to achieve some AP features that are superior to AP1. I'm not talking about a BS sales video like the one from fall 2016 - I'm talking about an actual review from a customer showing a significant improvement over AP1 in a real production vehicle. That hasn't happened yet and until shown otherwise I will remain skeptical that the AP2.5 hardware suite is capable of any serious improvement over AP1.
  2. Supercharging V2 (Elon says by the end of the year) so I can see if they will change pack chemistry to support the faster charge. The extra rate will make all the difference to me on those long road trips in the dead of winter. The max rate in my MS is currently 84kW so each supercharger stop on a road trip is at least 45 minutes - normally more like an hour to an hour and fifteen minutes.
  3. A slightly larger pack (120kWh or 130kWh) or a 100kWh with new chemistry that has 350+ EPA range. My 75D MS was only getting about 150 real world miles during my last coast to coast road trip in January 2018 - more than 100 miles less than advertised. I can't imagine a winter road trip in the X while also towing something. Would likely be 100 miles of range or less, which doesn't cut it for me.

In my opinion, there's no way Tesla is going to release any of this until the $7500 tax credit goes-away. No need for those with the credit still alive. Once the credit dies, then it would make sense to roll these out as an incentive to sell cars where the rebate isn't there anymore.

Unless you plan on waiting until the eventual refresh no matter what (which could be years), the longer you wait, the more chance you have of buying right before a refresh. If you buy now, you won't feel bad when the refresh comes because it'll likely be a long time from now. If you wait, there's a chance the refresh will happen sooner-after, at which point you'll be disappointed.

The Model X is only a 3 year old design, its not being refreshed anytime soon.
true, but the model s is nearly ancient... :D can't wait for a redesign there. the model 3 is more ergonomically designed and has much better ingress/egress than a model s for example, and the model 3 also has a better rear seat than the s.

but i guess we're talking about x's here, lol.

Mid-2017 MX100D owner here and honestly I’m hoping not many changes occur for the next couple of years
This way I won’t be tempted and teased having to sell my baby
If anything would get me to update to new would be a significant battery capacity update.......say an extra 100 miles

Reactions: TexasRat
Don't do it. Not worth the trouble.

You're either going to be dealing with a buyback, or resolve that you'll have a car with a significant number of issues that will never be fixed.

Several recent threads...

PM me if you want me experience.

Quit going around trolling. There are also several recent threads of people 100% satisfied with their orders. So hey, whatever. Tesla sold 10k Model X last quarter, if they were all defective we would be hearing about it in the news. God knows the media posts every other negative thing about the company they can. Imagine the headlines they could get with "Tesla produces defective cars!"

Another vote for buying a Model X today. It's probably right in the sweet spot of its lifecycle, having had many of the initial problems ironed out over the first couple of years and yet still has plenty of shelf life remaining. If you waited another year or two for further improvements then you might talk yourself into waiting yet another year or two for an "all new" model. All that time not being able to enjoy what you can have today!

For those reasons I ordered my Model X last September for Feb 18 delivery with a view to owning it for 4 years and then upgrading to whatever the replacement model is in 2022 (Hopefully an all-new MX at that point!). Since I took delivery of my car, there have been some further improvements (mainly the new MCU) but it's no big deal. The car is awesome and I'm glad I didn't wait any longer to get into one.