Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I wait for Model X Refresh???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's the one! A beauty!!! Can I ask why you ended up switching to the 20s? Range issues? Improved ride? Just curious, as I am also drawn to the look of the 22s.

I would certainly test drive with 22s before ordering. I found them too harsh and noisy on our roads. The 20s are a better compromise and the ride is still well on the firm side of acceptable. Then there's the range loss and higher risk of damage to consider. But 22s do look mean!

We have a white on white with standard silver 20s and it looks pretty cool set at low ride height (pics are at standard). I think the grey 20s might look even better, but I wasn't prepared to pay that much for a bit of grey paint!

IMG_7338.jpg
IMG_7353.jpg
IMG_7343.jpg
IMG_7331.jpg

I would certainly test drive with 22s before ordering. I found them too harsh and noisy on our roads. The 20s are a better compromise and the ride is still well on the firm side of acceptable. Then there's the range loss and higher risk of damage to consider. But 22s do look mean!

We have a white on white with standard silver 20s and it looks pretty cool set at low ride height (pics are at standard). I think the grey 20s might look even better, but I wasn't prepared to pay that much for a bit of grey paint!

View attachment 317951 View attachment 317952 View attachment 317953 View attachment 317954
Ate those curb rash guards on your wheels? I’ve been thinking about putting something like that on when I take delivery. Do they work well? Which ones did you get?

You can always get them professionally powder coated for £50 a wheel, much cheaper then paying tesla the privilege! nice spec on your car.

That was my plan if I got bored with the silver, but I don't think I'll ever bother. At the time I ordered my car the grey 20s where a staggering £2800 option! I think they then dropped it to £1800, but still ridiculous for an identical wheel in a different colour.

Reactions: Kacey Green
Ate those curb rash guards on your wheels? I’ve been thinking about putting something like that on when I take delivery. Do they work well? Which ones did you get?

Yes, these are "Alloy-gaters". They work very well but you need them properly fitted (which is pretty straightforward) otherwise they can potentially come off and cause quite serious bodywork damage as they flail around. But looking at kerb damage on other cars with these wheels, I'm glad I went for them.

Reactions: Spelly88
The other option is RIM PRO TEC they just stick on and more likely cause less damage if they come off, the alloygators have metal teeth that dig into the rim.

I'm pretty sure mine don't have metal teeth (latest premium version). They sit flat against the rim and only grip the tyre bead (you fit them with a flat tyre). I don't know anything about the others alternatives, but I don't like the sound of a stick on part. I've done nearly 8k miles on them now and none of them have come loose, but I do check them regularly just to be sure. I think any flailing plastic trim like this is going to cause plenty of damage if it comes loose at high speed.

Reactions: Spelly88
There are many threads on the topic, my main reasons were more range, less wear, reduced flat tire risk. I'm looking into black 20" which there are many choices now. Or the TM sonic carbon 20", but that look can't match the black. I did have the 22" for several ski days and they were just fine for that.
never had a flat in 21000 miles and i wore my tires through to the metal...that being said i will be getting 20's for fall-spring and it should also get me another 20-30 miles.

Tesla Model S and Model X: Here’s how wheel size can affect efficiency

I like your options, I just put a deposit down for the exact options!

I’ve also ordered the midnight silver, sonic carbons, and white seats. With carbon fiber trim, of course. It’s a fantastic look - more on the elegant side than the sexy side, but I’m almost 40 now, so I guess that’s to be expected!

Just couldn’t afford the final option, that little letter P to the left of the model insignia.... ;)

There won't be a refresh anytime soon. The interior camera and the wireless phone chargers might be added sometime in the future.

Especially as there are now all set options including flat folding seats available the X is a good offer. It is a pitty though that Tesla reduced the color options. Titanium silver fits this car so nicely, I would have troubles choosing one of the few available colors. May be they readd more color options once the second paint shop is installed in Freemont?

Last edited:
Just couldn’t afford the final option, that little letter P to the left of the model insignia.... ;)

The P100D is hilarious, but even the 75D is seriously quick compared to most cars on the road. Just followed a classic Porsche 964 Turbo and it failed to pull out a single car length on me up to 75 mph and it was most definitely trying to! I couldn't even go full pedal until he got to around 60 mph otherwise I would have rear ended it! It wasn't even quicker round the bends either, just shows how far tech has moved on since the 90s. Who'd have thought a 7-seater SUV would ever be able to keep a top end Porsche supercar honest?! A P100D would have completely slaughtered it, but we were going plenty quick enough on this public road so I'm not sure it would have been a good idea. The X is a big beast to wield around at silly speeds. For sure you'll be happy with the performance compared to anything in the SUV class.