Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

should i wait for the new porsche or i-pace to come out?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To each is own I suppose. Well I would hope there are others out there who see Tesla for more than just a car...but as a glimpse into where we need to go as an technologically advanced and forward species!

I’ve also owned many ice luxury brands and made the decision finally to set an example for my kids, our friends and others who have actually switched over from fossil to a new way of transport.

Don’t get me wrong, ice cars have their place in technological progress and innovation for the last 115 years (ford model T). One can still appreciate design, engineering and the sheer physics of igniting a drop of fuel and harnessing its power into kinetic force. I just see it as exactly that...the final push of a era that should have ended in the 1980’s with GM’s electric car. Sadly it was ‘killed’ by big oil and self serving politics/profit.

I was just curious why owners of Tesla who were formed thinking in their purchase, would leave so quickly back to the comfort zone of established ice brands whose vision was and would never be for the betterment of anything beyond deep pockets. 1 model out of dozens of ice would be enough to sway buyers? Ok. I guess it really does come down to perceived value for the $.

No offence to ice lovers guys! Just my thoughts!

I think my 8 yr old son said it best ‘when I grow up I’m going to make sure there are no more gas cars or stations dad. And I’ll make Ferrari all electric also! lol. Cute.
No offense taken. I really like what Tesla has done, but I'm not evangelical. When Tesla has the best car in the market again at some point in the future, I'll be more than happy to return to the brand.

I am not sure what you mean no history. Porsche has a long history of producing great cars. Just because it’s a an EV does not mean they are starting everything from scratch like Tesla did. Besides the practical EV experience Tesla provides there’s nothing else Tesla excels. It just doesn’t have the refinements offered by traditional automakers. Some of their design choices are really questionable. I’ve lost count of how many jokes my wife and I have made about the car every time something happens.

The so called innovation has been stalled for a while. The infotainment system is full of bugs that were never fixed. Did you hear about the Model 3 features that are missing and will come later via software updates? We are talking about basic features that are available on every other car from factory.

The interior quality also left something to be desired at the same price range from other automakers. And of course it’s also pretty dated.

The reason I got Model X is simply because there’s no competition out there. I needed the seats, space, and EV, so Model X was the only choice. I have owned German cars since I started buying my own cars. If there were competitions from other German automakers you are right I have no problem dropping Tesla.

They are 10 yrs old vs 110 lol. I think they created a masterpiece given the timeline to market. One can only imagine in 25 years.

However I will agree with you on the slow down in innovation lately. All hands on deck to mars (spaceX) it seems.

No offense taken. I really like what Tesla has done, but I'm not evangelical. When Tesla has the best car in the market again at some point in the future, I'll be more than happy to return to the brand.

You speak as though there is a better EV car already available on the market lol. I’d love to see where MS goes by the time others arrive..then I could validate that statement :)

FYI I love the new Panamera interior...modernly stunning and beautifully crafted. I can still appreciate it lol. I guess I just see Tesla as more than just a car...

I’m amazed that so many are just willing to drop Tesla without a 2nd thought based on a concept design of a mission E which has yet to test even 1 mile by the manufacturer and has no history. Is traditional auto branding that powerful that even if they entered the EV market more as a marketing and customer loyalty ploy, (only Tesla being bold enough to disrupt the entire industry), people would simply drop the innovative and forward thinking leader for one who continues to peddle fossil fuels for as long as big oil would demand it...wow.

Just surprised.

I would think Tesla proved to all the traditional ones that simply resting on your laurels for a century was not for humanity nor for the well being of our future.

I'm NOT surprised at all that some of the Tesla owners will look for other car manufacturers with EV offering. Heck, I just realize how much I was willing to cut Tesla some slack after building a Jag i-pace with all the luxury features that I used to have on my previous cars.

Reactions: Eclectic
You speak as though there is a better EV car already available on the market lol. I’d love to see where MS goes by the time others arrive..then I could validate that statement :)

FYI I love the new Panamera interior...modernly stunning and beautifully crafted. I can still appreciate it lol. I guess I just see Tesla as more than just a car...

Well, I didn't specify EVs...

I am also surprised to see so many posts so willing to switch brands. I am still in the honey moon phase and am loving my S but if in 4 years when I hit the market...I really would be bored buying another S if it still is basically the same car. This seens to be the dilemma of the OP.

A thought on the pending S interior refresh. The exterior has also remained essentially unchanged for the last 6 years. If/when the exterior changes the interior will have to change. Too me it makes no sense to change all the impacted production equipment for a new interior.... Then change the exterior which would force another interior change. I guess this is why all the legacy makers do those changes simultaneously.

So interior change now would mean same body style for several years....10+ years with the same body. Will be fun to see if they focus on the Y, semi, roadster, or S update.

I am not sure what you mean no history. Porsche has a long history of producing great cars. Just because it’s a an EV does not mean they are starting everything from scratch like Tesla did. Besides the practical EV experience Tesla provides there’s nothing else Tesla excels. It just doesn’t have the refinements offered by traditional automakers. Some of their design choices are really questionable. I’ve lost count of how many jokes my wife and I have made about the car every time something happens.

The so called innovation has been stalled for a while. The infotainment system is full of bugs that were never fixed. Did you hear about the Model 3 features that are missing and will come later via software updates? We are talking about basic features that are available on every other car from factory.

The interior quality also left something to be desired at the same price range from other automakers. And of course it’s also pretty dated.

The reason I got Model X is simply because there’s no competition out there. I needed the seats, space, and EV, so Model X was the only choice. I have owned German cars since I started buying my own cars. If there were competitions from other German automakers you are right I have no problem dropping Tesla.

Interesting. I think the post above is a good example of how people minimize what Tesla has done at the expense of idealizing other past achievements and luxury conveniences present at other car makers.

The engineers at other car makers are really smart too... and they knew long ago that the electric engine was superior, but the battery technology and infrastructure was very limited compared to the costs already sunk into the gasoline platform.

The problem IMHO with the above logic is that it's not a fair comparison. People like to compare Tesla to the fit and finish of a Mercedes S class because it costs the same, but they aren't factoring in the price increase they will see from the Germans. Porsche will likely end up costing much more than they realize.... especially when you compare powertrain and range and autopilot options.

Take a look at that fantastic commercial on the I-pace..... it seems really well done. yes, Jaguar will give you a nice interior and make you feel pretty special at the dealership for a while... you may even get the luxury ego boost of owning a luxury brand..... but make no mistake, you'll be owning an inferior car for a while. Inferior power, range and cost. Inferior infrastructure, technology and especially autopilot.... I know people on the forum like to say autopilot progress is slow, look at super cruise's commercial saying, eat your heart out tesla (really? because of your highway autopilot that will be wiped out with one tesla update?).... Yes, when you realize that GM and Jaguar and Porsche are simply trying to stop the bleeding long enough to produce something serious... and they will eventually, don't get me wrong, we are starting to see some serious stuff on the horizon. The gap is closing on Tesla with the introduction of all the other EV's but not nearly as close as other people think. And what a head start Tesla has. Personally, I'm looking forward to the perceived threat of competition because even I hope Tesla will spruce up interior fit and convenience a bit.

Ask yourself if Tesla were to spend the money on advertising that Jaguar and GM have put into their recent marketing campaign.... how awesome could Tesla make their car appear with stunning photography and a british accent?

Tesla needs to do two things to stay in the game: significantly more range for us that do not have superchargers and better fit&finish&quality (S and X at least).

Many of the Tesla early adopters will go for anything new that glitters, meaning that Porsche and Audi and Mercedes are going to take a bite in Tesla's sales (as they sell their old Teslas to new owners instead of new owners (or themselves) buying new Teslas).

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: SummitX
Of course people will shop around available options - whenever these come to the market. We have leased cars for many years now. Almost every time we went with a different manufacturer - so I guess we are not brand loyalists. We got now a model 3 just because it is sufficiently different from the model S. Should model S have been refreshed, I would have considered it as a better option. Similar with the iPace.

After a few weeks with our second electric car, my impression is that EVs have driving capabilities that surpass conventional ICE. But Tesla has not put enough effort into interior refinement. I simply cannot understand how our Merc is more quiet than the Tesla (both P85D and Model 3) except at very slow speeds. How much would it cost to bring in some form of ambient lighting? The current interior lighting on S, X, and model 3 is very dim - almost like non-existent. Perhaps it is part of the design - but the popularity of Abstract Ocean LED lighting tells me I am not the only one complaining.

What I hope to see is a wider range of options for EVs. With various fit and finish levels, for everyone to choose from. Looking forward for the arrival of other brands EVs to the real world.

Go Tesla.

My first EV GEM. 2nd Leaf, 3rd Model S, 3rd ModelX, and next a Tesla SEMI.

Attachments

• IMG_0686.jpg
    IMG_0686.jpg
    389.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 427498_361031363907273_1596840267_n.jpg
    427498_361031363907273_1596840267_n.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0068.jpg
    IMG_0068.jpg
    712.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_3152.jpg
    IMG_3152.jpg
    574.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2983.png
    IMG_2983.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 48
Reactions: buttershrimp
Tesla needs to do two things to stay in the game: significantly more range for us that do not have superchargers and better fit&finish&quality (S and X at least).

Many of the Tesla early adopters will go for anything new that glitters, meaning that Porsche and Audi and Mercedes are going to take a bite in Tesla's sales (as they sell their old Teslas to new owners instead of new owners (or themselves) buying new Teslas).

i agree with this but keep in mind Tesla has only been making cars for 8 years? i always thought of them as primarily a battery/energy/tech company. these other car companies have decades of experience. i have no doubt that Porsche will make a superior fit/finish/driveability EV. the question is will it be able to keep up with the battery/self driving tech of Tesla?

Reactions: SummitX
Re: Porsche....just to inform.

May 2017 recall (NHTSA recall number 17V133): need to replace occupant detection air bag system for front passenger seat since upon testing the system may not deploy in a crash. So, almost 1 year and no parts, nor fix.

You want to trust your family to a company that can't fix a critical system in a year? Before that, there was a gas fuel line recall that also took a year to fix as well.

FWIW: Porsche as a fairly low volume auto mfg. does an awful job in getting parts quickly to the States to fix these issues (or globally I suppose). Thus, if you think a low volume E car will be handled better than their mainstream Macan I have Florida swamp land for you to purchase.

I'm a long term Porsche owner and bought a Model X without a second thought. But it's the only truly large SUV in the EV game right now and that isn't going to change any time soon. The iPace is a class size smaller (more like a Macan competitor, rather than Cayenne) and Porsche don't have any EV SUVs happening anytime soon - maybe still half a decade or more away.

Early days yet for me, but I am very impressed with Tesla on initial handover and customer service. I was in the local Porsche centre today mulling around their cars and they kind of look dated next to the Model X, especially the outgoing Cayenne and current Macan. Even one of the technicians came out to have a look at my Tesla and asked a load of questions as his father was seriously considering a new Model S.

I doubt I'll be back in the Porsche showroom until they release a fully electric Cayenne and they have exactly 4 years to get that to market when I next change! Who knows what the Model X replacement will be like in that time?

Re: Porsche....just to inform.

May 2017 recall (NHTSA recall number 17V133): need to replace occupant detection air bag system for front passenger seat since upon testing the system may not deploy in a crash. So, almost 1 year and no parts, nor fix.

You want to trust your family to a company that can't fix a critical system in a year? Before that, there was a gas fuel line recall that also took a year to fix as well.

FWIW: Porsche as a fairly low volume auto mfg. does an awful job in getting parts quickly to the States to fix these issues (or globally I suppose). Thus, if you think a low volume E car will be handled better than their mainstream Macan I have Florida swamp land for you to purchase.

So Eclectic—so you disagree.

Can you clarify why? Do you think Porsche has been adept in handling my wife’s Macan both in timely recalls and getting a service appointment?

Funny take.....