TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

should i wait for the new porsche or i-pace to come out?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by quicksilver99, Mar 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Eclectic

Eclectic Banned

No offense taken. I really like what Tesla has done, but I'm not evangelical. When Tesla has the best car in the market again at some point in the future, I'll be more than happy to return to the brand.

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 2
  2. Navsarin

Navsarin S100D Red Rocket

They are 10 yrs old vs 110 lol. I think they created a masterpiece given the timeline to market. One can only imagine in 25 years.

However I will agree with you on the slow down in innovation lately. All hands on deck to mars (spaceX) it seems.

3. Navsarin

Navsarin S100D Red Rocket

You speak as though there is a better EV car already available on the market lol. I’d love to see where MS goes by the time others arrive..then I could validate that statement :)

FYI I love the new Panamera interior...modernly stunning and beautifully crafted. I can still appreciate it lol. I guess I just see Tesla as more than just a car...

• Like x 4
  4. GoTzillaR

GoTzillaR Member

I'm NOT surprised at all that some of the Tesla owners will look for other car manufacturers with EV offering. Heck, I just realize how much I was willing to cut Tesla some slack after building a Jag i-pace with all the luxury features that I used to have on my previous cars.

• Like x 1
  5. Sonic_78

Sonic_78 Member

If you want to wait it out, 3 to 6 months should provide you an answer =)

6. Eclectic

Eclectic Banned

Well, I didn't specify EVs...

7. Quick2Judge

Quick2Judge Member

I am also surprised to see so many posts so willing to switch brands. I am still in the honey moon phase and am loving my S but if in 4 years when I hit the market...I really would be bored buying another S if it still is basically the same car. This seens to be the dilemma of the OP.

A thought on the pending S interior refresh. The exterior has also remained essentially unchanged for the last 6 years. If/when the exterior changes the interior will have to change. Too me it makes no sense to change all the impacted production equipment for a new interior.... Then change the exterior which would force another interior change. I guess this is why all the legacy makers do those changes simultaneously.

So interior change now would mean same body style for several years....10+ years with the same body. Will be fun to see if they focus on the Y, semi, roadster, or S update.

• Like x 1
  8. buttershrimp

buttershrimp Click my signature to Go Mad Max Mode

Interesting. I think the post above is a good example of how people minimize what Tesla has done at the expense of idealizing other past achievements and luxury conveniences present at other car makers.

The engineers at other car makers are really smart too... and they knew long ago that the electric engine was superior, but the battery technology and infrastructure was very limited compared to the costs already sunk into the gasoline platform.

The problem IMHO with the above logic is that it's not a fair comparison. People like to compare Tesla to the fit and finish of a Mercedes S class because it costs the same, but they aren't factoring in the price increase they will see from the Germans. Porsche will likely end up costing much more than they realize.... especially when you compare powertrain and range and autopilot options.

Take a look at that fantastic commercial on the I-pace..... it seems really well done. yes, Jaguar will give you a nice interior and make you feel pretty special at the dealership for a while... you may even get the luxury ego boost of owning a luxury brand..... but make no mistake, you'll be owning an inferior car for a while. Inferior power, range and cost. Inferior infrastructure, technology and especially autopilot.... I know people on the forum like to say autopilot progress is slow, look at super cruise's commercial saying, eat your heart out tesla (really? because of your highway autopilot that will be wiped out with one tesla update?).... Yes, when you realize that GM and Jaguar and Porsche are simply trying to stop the bleeding long enough to produce something serious... and they will eventually, don't get me wrong, we are starting to see some serious stuff on the horizon. The gap is closing on Tesla with the introduction of all the other EV's but not nearly as close as other people think. And what a head start Tesla has. Personally, I'm looking forward to the perceived threat of competition because even I hope Tesla will spruce up interior fit and convenience a bit.

Ask yourself if Tesla were to spend the money on advertising that Jaguar and GM have put into their recent marketing campaign.... how awesome could Tesla make their car appear with stunning photography and a british accent?

• Like x 8
  9. chilman408

chilman408 Member

You should get the X now and then get the other ones when they come out.

Don't understand why it has to be one or the other.

• Like x 2
  10. Tiger

Tiger Member

#30 Tiger, Mar 7, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    Tesla needs to do two things to stay in the game: significantly more range for us that do not have superchargers and better fit&finish&quality (S and X at least).

Many of the Tesla early adopters will go for anything new that glitters, meaning that Porsche and Audi and Mercedes are going to take a bite in Tesla's sales (as they sell their old Teslas to new owners instead of new owners (or themselves) buying new Teslas).

• Disagree x 1
  11. lymex2018

lymex2018 Member

I own a Porsche Cayenne for 9 year which was a great car in almost any aspects except that the gas consumption is high. Now I've switched to Model X for 6 months and never regretted.

• Like x 1
  12. svp6

svp6 Member

Of course people will shop around available options - whenever these come to the market. We have leased cars for many years now. Almost every time we went with a different manufacturer - so I guess we are not brand loyalists. We got now a model 3 just because it is sufficiently different from the model S. Should model S have been refreshed, I would have considered it as a better option. Similar with the iPace.

After a few weeks with our second electric car, my impression is that EVs have driving capabilities that surpass conventional ICE. But Tesla has not put enough effort into interior refinement. I simply cannot understand how our Merc is more quiet than the Tesla (both P85D and Model 3) except at very slow speeds. How much would it cost to bring in some form of ambient lighting? The current interior lighting on S, X, and model 3 is very dim - almost like non-existent. Perhaps it is part of the design - but the popularity of Abstract Ocean LED lighting tells me I am not the only one complaining.

What I hope to see is a wider range of options for EVs. With various fit and finish levels, for everyone to choose from. Looking forward for the arrival of other brands EVs to the real world.

• Like x 1
  13. muleferg

muleferg Active Member

Go Tesla.

My first EV GEM. 2nd Leaf, 3rd Model S, 3rd ModelX, and next a Tesla SEMI.

Attached Files:

• Like x 1
  14. unpollo2

unpollo2 Member

i agree with this but keep in mind Tesla has only been making cars for 8 years? i always thought of them as primarily a battery/energy/tech company. these other car companies have decades of experience. i have no doubt that Porsche will make a superior fit/finish/driveability EV. the question is will it be able to keep up with the battery/self driving tech of Tesla?

• Like x 1
  15. X Fan

X Fan Supporting Member

Re: Porsche....just to inform.

May 2017 recall (NHTSA recall number 17V133): need to replace occupant detection air bag system for front passenger seat since upon testing the system may not deploy in a crash. So, almost 1 year and no parts, nor fix.

You want to trust your family to a company that can't fix a critical system in a year? Before that, there was a gas fuel line recall that also took a year to fix as well.

FWIW: Porsche as a fairly low volume auto mfg. does an awful job in getting parts quickly to the States to fix these issues (or globally I suppose). Thus, if you think a low volume E car will be handled better than their mainstream Macan I have Florida swamp land for you to purchase.

• Like x 4
    • Disagree x 1
  16. Peteski

Peteski Active Member

I'm a long term Porsche owner and bought a Model X without a second thought. But it's the only truly large SUV in the EV game right now and that isn't going to change any time soon. The iPace is a class size smaller (more like a Macan competitor, rather than Cayenne) and Porsche don't have any EV SUVs happening anytime soon - maybe still half a decade or more away.

Early days yet for me, but I am very impressed with Tesla on initial handover and customer service. I was in the local Porsche centre today mulling around their cars and they kind of look dated next to the Model X, especially the outgoing Cayenne and current Macan. Even one of the technicians came out to have a look at my Tesla and asked a load of questions as his father was seriously considering a new Model S.

I doubt I'll be back in the Porsche showroom until they release a fully electric Cayenne and they have exactly 4 years to get that to market when I next change! Who knows what the Model X replacement will be like in that time?

17. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

Starting and also ending the iPace "comparison".

Don't have to read thread whole thread. If you care about the first two pictures, the decision is done.

Unless the Mission E has a 3rd row that I don't know about - it's also out of consideration for cross shopping vs an X.

18. X Fan

X Fan Supporting Member

So Eclectic—so you disagree.

Can you clarify why? Do you think Porsche has been adept in handling my wife’s Macan both in timely recalls and getting a service appointment?

Funny take.....

19. aldux

aldux New Member

Indeed! The iPace is tiny in comparison to the X - although it does get to 60mph 1/20th of a second faster, they claim...

20. mrElbe

mrElbe Active Member

Charging infrastructure is the Ace in the deck.

• Like x 2