Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I wait to install the Wall Connector?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't need, want. Also, 48A vs 40A.
Okay. I'd be sure to keep the 14-50 as a backup. But what I've found in my seven plus years of Tesla ownership (using a 14-50) is that charging the car is just like charging an iPhone. You plug it in at night and it's full in the morning regardless of the amount of driving you've done, and you don't actually know (or care) how many minutes it was actually charging. The Wall Connector mostly helps if you have a short TOU.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Yeah, knowing you already have a 14-50 changes my answer. If you're already GTG for 240V, high Amperage charging, I'd hold off on the HPWC for the other reasons stated above.

Assuming you plug in at night and depart in the morning, you won't notice the difference in charging speeds. (Nine hours at even 30 MrPH gets you to 90% charge.)

I probably wouldn't worry about that either if I lived in Texas. But if you live further up north where it can get very cold during the winter it can make a lot of sense though to install a 48 A wall connector.
Mostly agree, although when I charged outside in Thunder Bay in November a couple of years ago there wasn't any issue. I don't recall the temperature, but there was snow.

I probably wouldn't worry about that either if I lived in Texas. But if you live further up north where it can get very cold during the winter it can make a lot of sense though to install a 48 A wall connector.
Good grief, no. Please stop fear mongering.
You're extending a concept into an area it doesn't belong. That question is relevant when people are talking about trying to get by on really low power connections, like the 1 kW of a regular 120V wall outlet. With someone already having over 7 kW charging power, that consideration is gone, regardless of how cold it is. 32A versus 48A doesn't matter in that case, because both are plenty to heat up the car for charging.

"It can make a lot of sense" is fear mongering?

I never said using the mobile connector is not feasible, or that you'll have problems without a 48 A wall connector. Clearly you read something into my post that isn't there. Thanks for explaining your view instead of just downvoting me, though.

All I asked was whether I should wait for the car to install the Wall Connector, or whether there's no need to wait. I did not ask whether I should get a Wall Connector.
Since you already have a charge point, you can still use that, with the adapter that comes with the new car. Then you could wait. But I still think you are better installing the new WC and be ready to go at the highest charge rate.

Since you already have a charge point, you can still use that, with the adapter that comes with the new car. Then you could wait. But I still think you are better installing the new WC and be ready to go at the highest charge rate.
Well, I'm picking up the car on Sept 10. My electrician said the earliest he could install it is the 21st for $200 max, but he recommended someone else; they're coming here on the 5th to give me an estimate.

Sure would be nice to be able to drive your brand new Tesla home and plug it into a ready and waiting Wall Connector. Jus' sayin.' :)

That's what I did. No reason not to if you want it and have it.

And at $200, that's pretty impressive. I was... $340 if I remember right and that was the 60a breaker, 25' of conduit, mounting, wire and wiring, and I thought I had a steal there. lol

I guess if the 2nd bid came in a lot higher I'd consider based on your need. For example I'd only have the 110 standard plug as my other option. Then it depends what other options you have... If you have a regular plug and that 3-5 mph is fine for you, then it might be worth it to wait if there's a big difference in install costs.

That's what I did. No reason not to if you want it and have it.

And at $200, that's pretty impressive. I was... $340 if I remember right and that was the 60a breaker, 25' of conduit, mounting, wire and wiring, and I thought I had a steal there. lol

I guess if the 2nd bid came in a lot higher I'd consider based on your need. For example I'd only have the 110 standard plug as my other option. Then it depends what other options you have... If you have a regular plug and that 3-5 mph is fine for you, then it might be worth it to wait if there's a big difference in install costs.
I should be getting the second bid today.

Well, I'm picking up the car on Sept 10. My electrician said the earliest he could install it is the 21st for $200 max, but he recommended someone else; they're coming here on the 5th to give me an estimate.

Whomever quoted you $200 clearly hasn’t installed a Wall Connector before. The Annoyance Fee for dealing with the wire entry on the HPWC is more than that!

Whomever quoted you $200 clearly hasn’t installed a Wall Connector before. The Annoyance Fee for dealing with the wire entry on the HPWC is more than that!
Well, the company he recommended quoted $485, and can't do it for four weeks. I called the original guy, and he is booked up for the foreseeable future. He is checking with some contacts to see whether he can find someone who can do it sooner.