Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I wait to install the Wall Connector?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an appointment for the wall connector to be installed in early September. It will be 10-12 feet from the breaker box, depending on the location of a suitable stud, and on the same wall as the box. Installation will include a 60A breaker.

the estimate is for $200 max.
I paid $500 to wire it on the other side of a two car garage from the breaker. I installed it on a 100 amp breaker and proper gauge wiring so that I could run it at 80 amps if future vehicles can use that. I considered the $500 a great price considering the breaker alone cost $70. Each wire is as thick as my pinky, solid copper. It's also in metal conduit which is a must. The electrician and I had no problem getting those giant wires inside the charger housing.

Well, the company he recommended quoted $485, and can't do it for four weeks. I called the original guy, and he is booked up for the foreseeable future. He is checking with some contacts to see whether he can find someone who can do it sooner.

Since you have a guy you like and trust, I'd just use the 14-50 until he's free to do the work.

Well, things have been overtaken by events. I can't get an appointment before I get the car home.

I should have read the entire thread. So sorry to hear that. Hopefully you can find another electrician to do the work. You can always try it yourself as it doesn't look too terribly difficult (given the Tesla video instructions).

You should see what I have to go through to get my Tesla Wall Connector installed. It might cost me up to 5k.

I should have read the entire thread. So sorry to hear that. Hopefully you can find another electrician to do the work. You can always try it yourself as it doesn't look too terribly difficult (given the Tesla video instructions).

You should see what I have to go through to get my Tesla Wall Connector installed. It might cost me up to 5k.
I have another electrician coming on the 30th. Also another is coming on Friday (day after I get the Tesla) to give me an estimate. Then I'll choose between the two, depending on price and/or scheduling.

The Wall Adaptor will have to be 10 to 12 feet from the breaker box, which will require running wiring through the wall (and drilling through studs) or in a conduit on the outside of the wall. Definitely beyond my capabilities. Not to mention installing the breaker in the box.

I watched a few. I don't have all the tools, and being in my late 70s, I don't have the coordination I used to have. I'll definitely let a professional do it.

Just joking a bit.

I think you said you already have 14-50 socket in your garage. Maybe just use that.

Even a regular socket would work ok if your drive is less than 60 miles a day. Plug in at 6pm (after work), charge for 15 hours, remove charger at 9am. if your charging hours are less, do the math - 4 miles/hour of charging.

Just a suggestion...

Just joking a bit.

I think you said you already have 14-50 socket in your garage. Maybe just use that.

Even a regular socket would work ok if your drive is less than 60 miles a day. Plug in at 6pm (after work), charge for 15 hours, remove charger at 9am. if your charging hours are less, do the math - 4 miles/hour of charging.

Just a suggestion...
Well, I already have the Wall Connector...

Either one will charge the car up to 90% overnight.

Not trying to be argumentative. Just genuinely puzzled as to why spend the money if you have a perfect 14-50 socket already.

Of course it is your choice. It's a free country... :)

i went with installing the Wall connector because i had to have the charger outdoors. i don't think the mobile connector would be a good idea to use daily, exposed to the elements 24/7/365, even though the plug itself can be protected with the NEMA 14-50 weatherproof cover.

Reactions: Rocky_H and dmurphy
i went with installing the Wall connector because i had to have the charger outdoors. i don't think the mobile connector would be a good idea to use daily, exposed to the elements 24/7/365, even though the plug itself can be protected with the NEMA 14-50 weatherproof cover.

This is, in my opinion, the #1 most useful feature of the Wall Connector. Same reason we installed two of them.

Either one will charge the car up to 90% overnight.

Not trying to be argumentative. Just genuinely puzzled as to why spend the money if you have a perfect 14-50 socket already.

Of course it is your choice. It's a free country... :)
Because I want to. seriously, at my age, this could very well be the last car I will ever have, so why not deck it out with what I want? Financially, I should be keeping my PHEV instead of getting the Tesla in the first place.

• Love
Reactions: davewill