Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I wait to Order MYLR? Tax Credit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the best that can be said of a car, is that it's a tool.
Fair enough. I have also referred to it as equipment in the past.

These new tax credits are more complicated. Does anyone know if Tesla even qualifies for the full credit under the new rules? I read an article that Elon is scrapping plans for the German battery factory and shift to US instead so Tesla can qualify.

I ordered my MYLR in late August with a projected 8-11 month wait. Suddenly the $7,500 tax rebate was put in and deliveries moved up to 4 months out. I'm one of the people who put my order on hold in order to get a 2023 delivery date. I'm not in a hurry. Even though the $7,500 is stupid, I'll take it.

I suspect around mid-October you will see delivery date suddenly push out many months when people take the hold off of their order.

Reactions: Snow Drift
I ordered my MYLR in late August with a projected 8-11 month wait. Suddenly the $7,500 tax rebate was put in and deliveries moved up to 4 months out. I'm one of the people who put my order on hold in order to get a 2023 delivery date. I'm not in a hurry. Even though the $7,500 is stupid, I'll take it.

I suspect around mid-October you will see delivery date suddenly push out many months when people take the hold off of their order.
There will be a push in mid-October to early November to clear out 2022 model year production before the switch to 2023 model year builds.
If someone takes their order off of hold during that period, they could be subject to a quick delivery.

A very similar circumstance occurred during the same period in 2019, in the midst of Congressional tax rebate conjecture swirling around.
Those discussions didn't end up with any rebate laws approved, but there was tremendous scrambling among order-holders to put them on hold.
Subsequently, Tesla scrambled to deliver anything to help meet financial goals, and pushed even current 'Hold' order holders to take a delivery.

I think we can expect a similar effort coming this fall.
This could be good news for some, not so good news for others.

Model year doesn't matter much. Tesla makes continual changes.

With that said, I fully expect Tesla to deliver as many cars as they can for year end push. If you order now till December, you will likely get your car in 2022 as large population is waiting on tax rebates.

This implies that there is an immediate physical distinction when new model year is launched. I thought the model year was relatively meaningless with Tesla as they continually make changes in the same model year. Am I mistaken?
November is Tesla's model year changeover but features/changes can happen any time. November is just a rule of thumb.
Over the last few years, whatever changes they are making for the NEXT model year get designated in early November, but may not make it into cars then.
Lately they are small changes. But in prior years as example, the rear casting got implemented for model year 2021, but only really started in February 21.

Currently, the only outstanding issue of import is 4680 and front castings, but that keeps getting pushed out and is highly unlikely before 2024 (after SEMI and CT).
Reason - SEMI and CT will need massive quantities of 4680's, and production is still early in the ramp up phase.
Beyond that, the internet blogs keep wishing for price reductions, but that won't happen until order backlogs are worked down, inflation abates, and suppliers are flush.
In other words, don't hold your breath.

Remember as well, software is updated continuously. And that leads the industry; no other manufacturer has that depth of expertise.

I wouldn't hold an order at this time unless my income and tax situation enabled me to take full advantage of the pending tax rebates.
Nothing substantially better in quality or performance is coming soon.

Reactions: rhk109 and acpd
Tesla is accelerating battery production in US to take advantage of tax credit.

no surprises here.
Tesla has always been focused on capturing government handouts, and Texas plan has always been to pump battery production up. However, Berlin is still building the battery plant so needs to continue, but won't be rushing to make batteries since energy (electricity and NatGas) is expensive and essentially rationed in Germany right now. But get they'll get all the equiipment in place and tested at Berlin.

2024 is looming and that’s when no battery is allowed to have battery critical minerals from or be processed in China/Russia/etc (foreign entities of concerns). Unsure if carmakers can meet that deadline.
Not entirely accurate. 2024 requires 50%.

Not entirely accurate. 2024 requires 50%.

No, I’m correct. 50% is only the value portion of it. The other restriction is critical battery minerals can not be from “foreign entities of concern” and that’s a massive issue because while materials are from Canada and Australia then anode and cathode processing/production is mostly performed in China.

This is a great summary

DFF6C260-D478-45A9-BBEA-A3002E970D0D.jpeg

I always try to stay away from religion and politics…the interaction tends to go in a bad direction when those topics come up.

This is a more complex tax credit. I am not making any plans until the IRS releases some guidance on which vehicles qualify under the new program.

Reactions: rhk109
Lithium isn't toxic and is plentiful. Mining it is less damaging than other forms of mining so this speculation of governments shutting mines down lol.

It was never profitable before to mine it and now we have a reason to (IRA tax credit restrictions)
If it wasn't profitable nobody would mine it. Who is claiming governments are shutting it down?