Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I wait?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in Maryland where there is a $3,000 excise tax credit, although I will be moving to Florida in July where there is no state incentives.

I am considering leasing a Model S.

On the surface at least, it would make sense to do pull the trigger on a lease while still in Maryland to take advantage of the state incentive but would moving out of state in 4 months affect this credit in any way? I would have to pay for registering the car in Maryland and then in Florida, but I should still come out on top because the state tax credit is higher than the amount to register in both states I would think.

Thanks

That is a question for the State. Generally, the leasing company gets to take any tax credits. After all, they bought and own the car. I know that is true for the Federal tax, you would need to ask about the state credit.

I live in Maryland where there is a $3,000 excise tax credit, although I will be moving to Florida in July where there is no state incentives.

I am considering leasing a Model S.

On the surface at least, it would make sense to do pull the trigger on a lease while still in Maryland to take advantage of the state incentive but would moving out of state in 4 months affect this credit in any way? I would have to pay for registering the car in Maryland and then in Florida, but I should still come out on top because the state tax credit is higher than the amount to register in both states I would think.

Thanks

Remember that with a lease taxes are calculated on top of each monthly payment based on where you live that month. If you move from a state with lower (or no) sales tax to a state with higher sales tax, your monthly payment goes up. If the new state has lower taxes the payment goes down. With a loan all taxes are paid up front and then financed, so your monthly payment should stay the same. As far as incentives, when leasing they usually go to the leasing company, so they can reduce your cap cost by the amount. Whether or not the car has to stay registered in originating state for any period of time in order to keep the incentive depends on the state - you'll need to check that.