Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I worry about Tesla going out of business?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wo now. You might want to do some more research on that. It isn't going to resolve anything. ;) And let's not get ahead of ourselves about the whole Uber, Lyft, RoboRide thing. Anything can happen there. Right now it is nothing more than talk. Yes, we all love the Tesla and hoping for the best, but no time to exaggerate outcome.
Lyft and Uber are both losing billions of dollar PER QUARTER and no one bats an eye.

Delorean only sold less than 10,000 cars and they are being supported. Teslas will be around a long time. They will be produced somewhere by someone because they are a superior product. The US is currently a hostile environment for them. China will certainly produce them because that government understands the climate threat.

Reactions: sandange
@matt4EV, you should be concerned because buying a Tesla costs a lot of money and you should feel confident in the company that you spend that money on!

I'm definitely a Tesla fan (own cars and stock). The OP has a legitimate concern. The media CERTAINLY exasperates it. But we've seen quite a bit of turmoil lately. We've had T Rowe (large institutional investor) significantly reduce their position lately. Tesla has made a myriad of communication and prices goofs over the last few months. Elon himself has gotten himself in trouble with the SEC TWICE. Tesla said they were now profitable going forward with no intentions of another capital raise, which they just did. Wall street has simply lost all confidence in Tesla's dates and time tables, for good reason. These are all real issues. Tesla can fairly easily fix most of them. If you take a step back, Tesla is still very compelling long-term company, but it is still not WITHOUT risk. Speaking of risk, what in the world will we do once FSD actually arrives? Won't Tesla be responsible for the accidents that occur while FSD is engaged? It's not super clear, but it certainly appears that Tesla will increase their exposure to lawsuits and liability. That is real risk.

I'm still long TSLA, but Tesla still needs to play their cards CORRECTLY IMO. I think they have some margin for error, but not tons. Elon constantly explains that the car business is very hard and that they've been very close to dying on multiple occasions. I believe him. I also believe in him and hope to see them fix the things they need to in order to burn down the risk that I still see as an owner and investor. Personally, I would still buy my car today, and I just might by some more stock since it's down in the 210's.

I am not worried about Tesla's financial status.

It's a growth company so it spends a lot of money to grow.

However, it has shown quite a few times that if it wants to, it can slow down and make profits at will.

Stock goes up and down so I am not worried about it either unless I am a short term investor.

If it's bankrupt, there are many who want to buy it at a bargain price.

In the worst scenario, there are Do-It-Yourself experts around the country who would love to keep our Tesla running.

Tesla isn't a growth company.

Tesla isn't a growth company.

Investopedia says it is:

"Classic Growth Stocks: Google, Tesla, and Amazon
The vast majority of growth companies reside in the technology sector where rapid innovation and growth spending is typical. Google, Tesla, and Amazon are three classic examples of growth companies because they continue to focus on investing in innovative technologies, sales growth, and expansion into new businesses.

While these three growth stocks have more expensive valuations than the S&P 500, Google, Tesla and Amazon are also the leaders in their respective niche industries. Google is continuing its technology conglomerate-status by expanding into new technologies such as artificial intelligence. Tesla is the popular electric car maker and undisputed leader of the industry. Meanwhile, Amazon continues to disrupt the retail sector through its ecommerce platform, which takes away business from traditional brick-and-mortar retail competitors."

Reactions: Jazz_MIII and gene
Investopedia says it is:

"Classic Growth Stocks: Google, Tesla, and Amazon
The vast majority of growth companies reside in the technology sector where rapid innovation and growth spending is typical. Google, Tesla, and Amazon are three classic examples of growth companies because they continue to focus on investing in innovative technologies, sales growth, and expansion into new businesses.

While these three growth stocks have more expensive valuations than the S&P 500, Google, Tesla and Amazon are also the leaders in their respective niche industries. Google is continuing its technology conglomerate-status by expanding into new technologies such as artificial intelligence. Tesla is the popular electric car maker and undisputed leader of the industry. Meanwhile, Amazon continues to disrupt the retail sector through its ecommerce platform, which takes away business from traditional brick-and-mortar retail competitors."

Investopedia? Really?

Just ordered my model 3 a few days ago. Excited!!!!

However, recent news is full of how Tesla's stock price has been dropping. Should I worry about it? Will Tesla go out of business? What should I do with my car if it happens?

What's in your mind?

No.
No.
Drive it.
A private island, two yachts, an ever-flowing Teslaquila fountain, and chicken wings.

Some guy came into my work the other day and says he works across the street from Tesla Van Nuys selling used cars

I wear a Tesla tie clip everyday to work and he said If I need help buying a car give me a call. Pointed to my clip and said I'll be buying a Tesla soon and he said he can't help me with that and wouldn't recommend it and I asked what makes him say that, with a smirk. He said Tesla will be going out of business soon because the supposed people who he has helped got rid of their Tesla's through him due to poor alignment and quality blah blah blah. He said they look alright but are nothing special and I chucked and said oh really

I did a haha and said every year Tesla is suppose to go bankrupt, they have some issues which they are improving on but that he is focused on the small things and not the big picture. I asked him if he had even driven a Tesla and he said no. I did another haha and said once you drive one your perspective of cars will change forever. He said I doubt that. I said that's too bad, have a nice day and walked away

Humans are funny

Don't take criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from. They know noothin

Just ordered my model 3 a few days ago. Excited!!!!

However, recent news is full of how Tesla's stock price has been dropping. Should I worry about it? Will Tesla go out of business? What should I do with my car if it happens?

What's in your mind?

With 3 Tesla’s I have 3X the reasons to be as worried as you.

I have zero reasons.

3X of 0 is 0.

Also.. I think I would rather have a Model 3 with no warranty than an i3 with warranty. Wouldn’t be caught dead in one of those.

Ride or die..

Reactions: Jazz_MIII and gene
We know for sure that Tesla has enough cash to keep going for two years. That assumes nothing changes which is unlikely. I think the worst case scenario is they have to sell out/merge to someone else.

Two years? Elon says 10 months.

You can’t compare Tesla with other high tech companies because car manufacturing is FAR more capital intensive than companies that mainly write software. Basically they have to invest a disproportionate amount of money to buy plant and equipment which most other tech firms don’t need to. More money goes out than comes in, and the erratic pricing and strategy only makes matters worse. I agree with the previous poster that FSD is being oversold and is years away, and at CD$10,000 for just autopark and auto lane change, it offers little serious value.

Maybe they should slow down a bit on growth, take a more realistic approach to their FSD roadmap, be less combative with the SEC, and things might stabilize.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: BoerumHill
Anything's possible, there have been a few times they were on the brink of collapse in the past few years. Who knows, maybe one their luck will run out and it will tank one of these days. Even with the recent 2B capital raise and 2B fiat credits, according to Elon they will burnout in 10 months.

Musk says Tesla will be out of money in 10 months without ‘hardcore’ changes

Its out of your control anyways so there's not much that you can do, worrying won't help. If they do tank, someone will buy the brand, but lots of changes would obviously be made by the new owners - if it came to that.

Musk himself is probably deep in the hole given that he bought shares 45 million shares paying an average of $331... stock is now $211 and dropping (ouch).

Musk says a lot of things that are exaggerated.

So on the same day:

Buys company for a quarter billion

/

Will die in 10 months

You guys really buy this *sugar*?

There’s so many obvious Hail Mary options left to Tesla they haven’t even pulled yet.

What if Tesla has an iOS or Play App Store on their tablets tomorrow?

That’s a 100 point share boost right there.

Managers always manufacture a sense of urgency.

Anything's possible, there have been a few times they were on the brink of collapse in the past few years. Who knows, maybe one their luck will run out and it will tank one of these days. Even with the recent 2B capital raise and 2B fiat credits, according to Elon they will burnout in 10 months.

Musk says Tesla will be out of money in 10 months without ‘hardcore’ changes

Its out of your control anyways so there's not much that you can do, worrying won't help. If they do tank, someone will buy the brand, but lots of changes would obviously be made by the new owners - if it came to that.

Musk himself is probably deep in the hole given that he bought shares 45 million shares paying an average of $331... stock is now $211 and dropping (ouch).
That’s a total bs headline. I know it’s a real headline but an obvious misleading one. Nice third post. The trolls have just arrived to this thread.