Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I?

Should I buy a Model 3 now or wait?

• DO IT!

Votes: 48 71.6%
  • Wait a few years and save your money

Votes: 11 16.4%
  • I'm afraid of walls of text and decided not to read this post.

Votes: 10 14.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Through all my research though I rarely hear anyone talk about how much of a monthly payment they're willing to put up with for these cars. Generally it is a bad idea to take on such a big car loan because they depreciate so fast but Tesla's just don't seem like they fit into that category. I fear that feeling is because I want it too bad though and it is clouding my judgment..
I never think of a purchase as per month cost, but instead as total cost, how many months of my life goes toward saving for it, etc. Yes, Teslas definitely depreciate just like almost every other car. Look at the for sale section on TMC or Tesla CPOs. You can find many for 30-50% new price, especially the P, P+ and other high-end versions. Also, look at the original roadsters, no upgrade to use superchargers. People have definitely dumped older Teslas for newer ones, just like computers and phones, only a little slower and more expensive.

One thing I would never plan on is modular hardware or battery upgrades. Tesla and all other manufacturers would rather sell you the next new product instead of a few upgrades (especially batteries). There have been very few battery upgrades, and the costs were obscene (Leaf for $8000, Greencarreport had a story years ago where David Nolan swapped a 60 for an 85 battery).
Life With Tesla Model S: Battery Upgrade From 60 kWh To 85 kWh
Then, several years later he got a new 100D.
Life with Tesla Model S: assessing my new 100D vs old 2013 electric car

Bottom line, don’t expect technology or your wants to stand still. Buy what you need, be careful about your wants, and seriously evaluate which is which.

Reactions: seattlite2004
One thing I would never plan on is modular hardware or battery upgrades. Tesla and all other manufacturers would rather sell you the next new product instead of a few upgrades (especially batteries)

This is true under conventional wisdom.

However, It’s one thing for Tesla to dead end the relatively low number of AP1 cars versus the AP2+ fleet.

Different story for AP 2/2.5 where eventual FSD was expected off that set of hardware.

I knew for certain you can’t dead end over 400,000 cars at the end of 2019 without also ending the company as well.

I know this is the wrong forum for this view... I would wait...

Full disclosure: I finally have a VIN/Delivery date for my model 3 AWD.

But, if I were just starting out in life I would not be buying this car. The main reason is that in a few years they will be a lot better. These are like the 20k plasma TVs, the model S was the 50k plasma. Yes they have come down a lot in price and have improved features/quality a lot, but I believe they have a long ways to still go.

Save your money, go with a much lower priced vehicle for a few years and wait for the industry to mature. I believe with the money you save up you will be able to buy a much better car in 5 years. You will also have a few more questions in life answered like how many kids you are looking at and what you really need in a vehicle.

But, if I were just starting out in life I would not be buying this car. The main reason is that in a few years they will be a lot better. These are like the 20k plasma TVs, the model S was the 50k plasma. Yes they have come down a lot in price and have improved features/quality a lot, but I believe they have a long ways to still go.

Save your money, go with a much lower priced vehicle for a few years and wait for the industry to mature. I believe with the money you save up you will be able to buy a much better car in 5 years. You will also have a few more questions in life answered like how many kids you are looking at and what you really need in a vehicle.

That's also a good point. In "3" (hah hah) years there will be more options too... not "bolt" options either. Porsche, Audi, Jaguar, etc. If the EV Porsche was available right now and looked like the prototype I would have purchased that over the model 3. For now, Tesla really is the only sexy game in town. That's sort of getting off the main topic but it is a good reason for maybe starting with a "break in" car, getting a permanent residence, and then making your choice. Rushing just for the tax credit (which you would get with other brands too) isn't necessarily the best option.

You also have to keep in mind, you basically are walking into an apple store asking if you should buy an iphone. We're all just a little biased on this forum.

Last edited:
You also have to keep in mind, you basically are walking into an apple store asking if you should buy an iphone. We're all just a little biased on this forum.

Poor analogy. If I go with an Android I’m not worried about my phone shutting off after 125 one way miles.

Or if can charge it, I better be registered for ALL the different charging providers, having a working/registered payment method and hope the app connects. I have to also hope the few chargers are not taken. If taken, hope it’s not a car that charges way slower than me.

It’s malpractice to recommend an EV without a frictionless nationwide charging network. Unless it’s a secondary car you use as a home metro car only.

Yeah you would be welcome to get the iPace. Slower than the Model 3, slower than the Model S, has less storage than the S. At the same money as S and lacking the nationwide infrastructure network mentioned above.

Yes I understand it’s a Tesla forum but this *sugar* is common sense from any objective point of view.

Original Roadster and Pre parking sensor model s owners rolling over in their graves at the talk of the Model 3 being too expensive and immature..

64K Model 3 in 2018 money obliterates a 2015 Model S P85. A car that cost 130,000 in 2015 money.

That’s why I will never race against another Tesla as a matter of ethics. It would be like beating up your parents and grandparents.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: wbhokie
Yeah you would be welcome to get the iPace. Slower than the Model 3, slower than the Model S, has less storage than the S. At the same money as S and lacking the nationwide infrastructure network mentioned above.

Man you responded before I could edit my typo of Jaguar to Porsche. (It's still the Mission E to me) ;) Agree on the i-Pace, but I'm glad they are trying to make it anyway. Also agree on the charging network, but also 2 years in with the Model S and I have never used Tesla's either. Still it is a great benefit.

You misunderstood my analogy though... that was in reference to his original question to "Should I buy a Tesla." As Tesla owners, we're likely as a whole to nudge him in that direction. That's what I meant.

You can’t take money with you to the grave, do it man. I’ve only had mine for two weeks and I don’t have a single regret. I only wish they had this car out when I leased the damn Ford I’m stuck with until May....

heh who's talking about dying here? i'm going to live forever!

Last edited: