Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should LFP batteries be charged to 100%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LFP batteries can be left sitting at 100% without any problem, unlike NCA.
They cannot long term. There is nothing magical about the LFP batteries Tesla use compared to all other LFP batteries. But in a practical sense it would be fine for a few hours or even days - the degradation would be very minimum which is why Tesla don't confuse the situation.

For long term storage, LFP manufactures recommend 50% charge - which isn't really any different from NCA.

I have a 2022 LFP SR (USA).. I see no major loss in regen when I charge to 100%.. Maybe Tesla has some built in buffer now to capture regen. I just plug in whenever it is low or convenient like not using car for few hours and don't worry about 80%, 90%.. I also test drove non LFP used older SR and do not see any loss of power in LFP vs legacy SR battery. There is a video on YouTube that tries to prove LFP is slower but I am guessing that is just bad driver error or something with early model LFP's

I have a 2022 LFP SR (USA).. I see no major loss in regen when I charge to 100%.. Maybe Tesla has some built in buffer now to capture regen. I just plug in whenever it is low or convenient like not using car for few hours and don't worry about 80%, 90%.. I also test drove non LFP used older SR and do not see any loss of power in LFP vs legacy SR battery. There is a video on YouTube that tries to prove LFP is slower but I am guessing that is just bad driver error or something with early model LFP's
I think the official figures show that the LFP car is a little slower 0-60, doubtless due to the extra weight of the LFP pack. That said, the difference is marginal and likely to be outweighed by other influences.

Both then - EV database shows weight increasing from 2060 Kg for the 'legacy' SR+ to 2139 Kg for LFP version.

Interestingly, they quote the same power and torque for both? Is one of those entries wrong if it's a less powerful motor?

LFP

SR+
I don't think those weights for the M3 SR+ are correct. On release the weight was quoted as 1611 kg later US builds 1645 kg ... but Bjorn Nyland took later SR+ to a weigh station and got 1720 kg for the US built car and then 1840kg for the made in China car ... the differences being down to the LFP battery pack in the China car.

Both then - EV database shows weight increasing from 2060 Kg for the 'legacy' SR+ to 2139 Kg for LFP version.

Interestingly, they quote the same power and torque for both? Is one of those entries wrong if it's a less powerful motor?

LFP

SR+
I have one of the unicorn models, the 60kwh pack and the 320bhp rear performance motor, delivered Nov21. The RWD models that followed in 2022 had the Ryzen chip but only a 280bhp motor delivering the slower 0–60mph but yes weight of the LFP packs also a factor.

Reactions: Lord Farquad
I doubt the average person is going to notice the 0.6 second or so difference.
Tell that to the folks who are paying big money to upgrade their Model 3 LR to get close to Performance numbers. Obviously you won't notice in normal driving but would be noticeable when flooring it ... and an SR+ (or Model 3 RWD) is used with full acceleration far more often than an LR or Performance for obvious reasons.

I don't think those weights for the M3 SR+ are correct. On release the weight was quoted as 1611 kg later US builds 1645 kg ... but Bjorn Nyland took later SR+ to a weigh station and got 1720 kg for the US built car and then 1840kg for the made in China car ... the differences being down to the LFP battery pack in the China car.
The weights I quoted are the Gross Vehicle Weight (not sure what this includes; full tank perhaps?) - they also quote 'unlaiden' weight which for the LFP as an example is 1825 Kg, is much nearer to Bjorn's figure. That said, I think he sits in his car on the weigh-bridge so not 'unlaiden' as such?

Not to worry - I was just making the point that I understood the LFP version to be a bit heavier which you have confirmed.

The weights I quoted are the Gross Vehicle Weight (not sure what this includes; full tank perhaps?) - they also quote 'unlaiden' weight which for the LFP as an example is 1825 Kg, is much nearer to Bjorn's figure. That said, I think he sits in his car on the weigh-bridge so not 'unlaiden' as such?

Not to worry - I was just making the point that I understood the LFP version to be a bit heavier which you have confirmed.
Yes, Bjorn's will be gross weight ... I think he deducts his own weight ... his are likely to be reliable (though I can't remember if he takes out cables and first aid kit and the mystery towing eye.. Agreed LFP definitely heavier for the same capacity and heavier still given that the LFP pack capacity is higher than the earlier 3s. Mine was not more than 50kWh useable as new (2019).

One question, forgive me if it has been discussed....
The manual states for LFP charge to 100% always, minimum once a week AND let the car sleep by NOT using sentry mode when not needed.

Do they mean not to use sentry mode when not needed in general OR when currently charging/charged and plugged in??

From the manual:
If your vehicle is equipped with an LFP Battery, Tesla recommends that you keep your charge limit set to 100%, even for daily use, and that you also fully charge to 100% at least once per week. If Model 3 has been parked for longer than a week, Tesla recommends driving as you normally would and charge to 100% at your earliest convenience.

In addition, a best practice is to allow
Model 3 to "sleep" regularly by parking it with Sentry Mode disabled, when possible. Consider using the Exclude Home, Exclude Work, and Exclude Favorites settings to prevent Sentry Mode from automatically activating at locations it is not needed (see Using Sentry Mode).

The reason I am asking is that I have my car at home without sentry but then charge at work every day with sentry on. Should I rather keep it off then?

Last edited:
The manual states for LFP charge to 100% always, minimum once a week AND let the car sleep by NOT using sentry mode when not needed.

Do they mean not to use sentry mode when not needed in general OR when currently charging/charged and plugged in??

From the manual:
If your vehicle is equipped with an LFP Battery, Tesla recommends that you keep your charge limit set to 100%, even for daily use, and that you also fully charge to 100% at least once per week. If Model 3 has been parked for longer than a week, Tesla recommends driving as you normally would and charge to 100% at your earliest convenience.

Model 3 to "sleep" regularly by parking it with Sentry Mode disabled, when possible. Consider using the Exclude Home, Exclude Work, and Exclude Favorites settings to prevent Sentry Mode from automatically activating at locations it is not needed (see Using Sentry Mode).

The reason I am asking is that I have my car at home without sentry but then charge at work every day with sentry on. Should I rather keep it off then?
The car is sleeping regularly for a good stretch … no problem using sentry at work.

The car is sleeping regularly for a good stretch … no problem using sentry at work.
I'm not so sure about charging with sentry on compared to sentry off. I think the BMS is working when the car is asleep and therefore will balance the cells.
Recently whilst staying at a hotel, with sentry on, I noticed that the car would keep topping up the charge (after the first 100% charge) every hour or so. This topping up might interfer with the BMS system...

I'm not so sure about charging with sentry on compared to sentry off. I think the BMS is working when the car is asleep and therefore will balance the cells.
Recently whilst staying at a hotel, with sentry on, I noticed that the car would keep topping up the charge (after the first 100% charge) every hour or so. This topping up might interfer with the BMS system...
Is that an educated guess or based on some other Tesla source? (It’s a reasonable idea.) I would have thought that avoiding the combination of charging and sentry would get a specific mention but that’s not how I read it.

From the manual:

I have m3 2021 mic. I’m now retired and not doing a lot of miles, I usually only charge about once a week form 40 to 70%. I’m on octopus go so would toping up from 70 to 100% on the next day keep the bms happy?

I have m3 2021 mic. I’m now retired and not doing a lot of miles, I usually only charge about once a week form 40 to 70%. I’m on octopus go so would toping up from 70 to 100% on the next day keep the bms happy?
Just charge it to 100% the night before you plan to drive it at least 20 miles.

Despite it being LFP, I wouldn’t want to leave it at a very high state of charge for an extended period. The 100% advice is on the basis that you are using it daily and leaving it at 100% for a prolonged period will still degrade the battery.

I probably average under 10 miles Monday-Friday. I just charge it to 100% the night before I need to drive it a significant distance.

The 100% advice is on the basis that you are using it daily and leaving it at 100% for a prolonged period will still degrade the battery.
It’s a different chemistry to the one that we got that advice for, so why do you think that still applies?
I kind of got the impression that Tesla recommends charging to 100% with no indication that you shouldn’t leave it at that SoC any more than x amount of time…

It’s a different chemistry to the one that we got that advice for, so why do you think that still applies?
I kind of got the impression that Tesla recommends charging to 100% with no indication that you shouldn’t leave it at that SoC any more than x amount of time…
Contrary to popular belief, an LFP battery will still degrade quicker if you leave it pinned at 100% for extended period of time compared to at a lower SoC. It’s more tolerant of it compared to other chemistries, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t degrade. The same applies to leaving them at very low states of charge as with other chemistries.

The tesla advice is to charge it to 100% once per week. It’s implied that you’ll use it after charging it to 100% and not leave it parked for 5 days at 100%. The vast majority of people use their car daily.

I don’t, so I leave it at a lower SoC when it’s not getting used and only 100% it before I am going to use it.

• Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro
There was an electrical engineer with battery chemistry experience somewhere in this forum.. will try and find their posts.

I seem to remember him saying LFP is no different from any other battery chemistry and you should avoid high soc, but the reason they're saying to go to 100% is because voltage drop is very gradual along discharge curve (aside from 100-90%), therefore the BMS finds it difficult to estimate the soc unless it's topped back up to 100%.

My plan for when my car arrives is to charge up to 85% and then once every two weeks (or if going on trip) top it up to 100%. If anyone (looking at the electrical engineer) can tell me a reason not to / better plan I'm all ears :p