TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Should Model 3 be offered as a Series rather than a Model?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by FreeOfPge, Sep 19, 2014.

?

Should Model 3 be offered as a Series rather than a Model?

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    26.3%
  2. No

13 vote(s)
    68.4%
  3. Not sure

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  1. FreeOfPge

FreeOfPge Member

Using Ford’s F Series as an example, the truck’s power, suspension and load capabilities are clearly differentiated by the nameplate, F-150, F-250, and F-350. Had Ford not done this, every F series truck would become Model F with either a 150, 250 or 350 badge.

Presumably, Model E’s badges will be similar to Model S with two separate nameplates, one Model E nameplate and another power option (45 or 60) nameplate.

Would it make more sense if Model 3 were offered in a series with each battery size having it’s own individual nameplate?

Example:

45kwh = Tesla E-45
    60kwh = Tesla E-60

Changing to a series could be positive for both Tesla and Tesla’s customer:

As a customer, when the time comes to resell my E-45 or E-60, it would be (more) directly compared against other E-45 or E-60s rather than every Model 3 available on the resale market.

For Tesla, if slight body changes or trims need to be made to accommodate for something specific to one vehicle but not the other (i.e. more airflow to cool a larger battery), the change could be made to fewer vehicles.

Note: to be clear, we don't know what size battery Tesla will offer in Model E, 45 kwh and 60 kwh are a guess.

2. Kevin Harney

Kevin Harney Active Member

Why is this important ? or of concern ?

3. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

#3 dsm363, Sep 19, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
    Why did you start a second poll? I guess I don't see why Tesla wouldn't simply sell the Model 3 and provide different battery pack and trim options like they do now. Why lock people into the old way of doing things? Part of the advantage of doing a build to order sales model is people can build what they want.

4. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Well the F series trucks are very capably different between the divisions.

And what you are talking about seems like semantics. MB uses 'Class', BMW uses 'Series', and Tesla uses 'Model' to designate their models. Putting a dash after 3 then the battery, versus the battery on the other side of the lift gate isn't really all that different.

5. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

I agree with this -- it's just semantics. It's like how the BMW E or F numbers work. Each E or F series cars are built upon the same basic frame/body/styling even across several model "years". Tesla is no different with the Model S/X/3. In terms of resale value of BMWs 3-series, the market always takes into consideration (at a minimum) the engine size, number of doors, etc so all "3-Series" cars aren't all lumped together. For Tesla, it will be battery size, performance model, and likely 2wd/4wd options. There's really no difference between "Model" and "Series" --- just that BMW uses their badging to further separate the trim lines (more for marketing), as Tesla is also already doing with "60" "85" (or "S85") "P85" and "P85+".

6. caddieo

caddieo Member

Amen, brother!! Current practice to differentiate S models is sufficient.

7. KD5MDK

KD5MDK Member

I like the convenience of knowing that a BMW 318i or a 335d or 335xi etc has consistent information embedded in the designation, but I'm sure the Model 3 will get appropriate shorthand soon enough.

8. tom66

tom66 Member

Model 3 should be offered in four-door sedan initially. But they should have two-door and estate versions available later as well.

9. Tasdevil

Tasdevil Member

The BMW model numbers are based via engine size. As that's the draw card.
    Tesla Is known for making a fast car, so the only concern for "some" customers is range. Hence the models with different ranges.
    I hope in the near future tesla can offer 1 model that ticks the power and range boxes. Then all you do is choose your extra features.
    It's another way of showing the world that all you need is a battery and an electric motor.
    These ice engines that have turbos and superchargers on a 1.6L engine in order to get good fuel economy but still have some power should be portrayed as old school and pointless.

10. Kevin Harney

Kevin Harney Active Member

AFAIK This used to be true for BMW but no longer is.

11. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Well I would say they are still "based on" engine size (loosely).. Whereas before they were actual indicators of size... Until the marketers got into the game and ruined it.

12. Red Sage

Red Sage The Cybernetic Samurai

≡S ... Sedan
    ≡W ... Wagon
    ≡X ... Crossover
    ≡H ... Hatchback
    ≡M ... Minivan
    ≡R ... Roadster
    ≡C ... Coupe
    ≡Z ... Supercar

I'd like to see a Tesla Model ≡C P135+ Coupe...

13. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Please give the symbol a rest. Prince has a right to use a symbol that often but not many others do:)

14. Red Sage

Red Sage The Cybernetic Samurai

15. ThosEM

ThosEM Space Weatherman

Don't forget the convertible!

16. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

No, really, he doesn't.

17. Tedkidd

Tedkidd Member

+1 - though I'd rather they start with the estate (or at least hatchback) version. I suspect that's what much of the world would prefer also (besides US which has this bizarre thing against wagons).