TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Should Model 3 been a SUV?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Seesaw, May 12, 2018.

1. Seesaw

Seesaw Member

As my reservation gets closer to crunch time for order, does anyone else wish the Model 3 was a mid sized SUV?

I can’t imagine it being more expensive to build than the sedan - probably cheaper due to the open rear glass roof.

Being the most expensive car I have bought, I guess I could justify the expense if it had the utility of a SUV.

How have people reconciled this? Is it not a big deal for a small family?

• Disagree x 2
    • Like x 1
  2. Tezlanian

Tezlanian Member

You want this probably: Tesla Model Y - Google Search

I'll be ordering a Model Y as soon as I can.

3. Dan Detweiler

Dan Detweiler Active Member

Model Y is coming.

Personally I have no desire for an SUV.

Dan

• Like x 4
  4. weak_pig

weak_pig Member

There are folks who prefer a sporty looking sedan, not a jeep wannabe

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 1
  5. DR61

DR61 Member

'S' UV's are really tall hatchback passenger cars. Not sporty in general so I don't use the 'S'. Slower and lower range due to aero drag; no thanks. A hatchback sedan would be nice, but I understand why the Model 3 is not that.

• Like x 3
  6. TT97

TT97 Active Member

I’d much rather have a station wagon over an SUV but they are not popular is the U.S. I am perfectly happy with it being a sedan but wouldn’t complain if it was a hatchback like the S.

• Like x 3
  7. bro1999

bro1999 Active Member

Yes.

8. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

Patience, patience (see Model Y references above).

By the way, the RWD S85 (including the AP1 variants starting late 2014) have more cargo space than a BMW X5 SUV - by a half cubic foot.

And they're coming off 3-year leases for less than what a new Model 3 presently costs, and supercharging is included.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  9. 03DSG

03DSG Active Member

No. I wanted a mid-size sedan. Would have actually preferred if it was a 2 door coupe. Is a second car for us and mine :). We already have a ‘14 Ford Escape AWD that covers all the SUV needs. To new to replace. Model Y is coming. The Escape May be replaced with a Y down the road.

We also wanted a ‘back up’ vehicle for now during the transition to all electric.

• Like x 1
  10. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

You knew what the car was going to be like two years ago. Don't like it, don't buy it.

• Like x 2
  11. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Well-Known Member

12. tomc603

tomc603 Member

Were it an SUV, I would have never purchased it. And SUVs are most popular in the US, which would have reduced possible sales elsewhere around the world. Even the upcoming Model Y is a crossover instead of a full SUV. If you want an SUV, buy a Model X I guess.

Also, the most common injury to SUV drivers in a head-on collision is injuries to the lower legs and feet. I just saw one happen yesterday, and I can honestly say I will stick with my choice to never again own an SUV or full-sized truck. They are way too dangerous, they are way too big, and there's just no need for them.

• Like x 3
  13. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

No I much prefer a sedan, as they are easier to park and are more efficient to operate.

• Like x 2
  14. KJD

KJD Supporting Member

I would have preferred an SUV although they are not for everyone.

Look at what Ford is doing, they are pretty much giving up on the sedan market.

15. tomc603

tomc603 Member

But they're basically making baby SUVs that are much more like crossovers than a traditional SUV. And of course, they're one of the very few pickup truck makers in the world. Probably not a good time to be giving up on the rest of your vehicles when one of the F150 factories had a major fire, though. ;)

16. BerTX

BerTX Supporting Member

Go to any mall parking lot. 80% of the vehicles are SUVs. Tesla made their point with the performance of the Model S, that an electric sedan could out-perform a gasoline powered one.

The Model 3 needed to be a car that SELLS, and today a car that sells is an SUV. I know, I know, 465.000 reservations are a lot of sales, but what happens after that initial rush of buyers who would take ANY Tesla that was in their price range? The MY better be ready, and it better be good. Not sure another CUV will cut it, either.

17. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

I find it extremely entertaining that the word "Sport" is so disastrously misappropriated when applied to SUV's
    Sport usually means fast - except in the case of the SUV, where it usually means Slow, Soggy or Sloppy.
    Most of them have way less Sport and less Utility than a regular hatchback.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  18. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

Thing is though, they have already done that with the Model X which is usually outsold by the sedan Model S.
    I'm thinking that EV buyers care less about having an SUV because making it fatter and sticking it higher in the air slows it down and decreases range.

• Like x 2
  19. tomc603

tomc603 Member

They offer the Model X, and by the time they're done fulfilling their half million reservations, they'll begin production on the Model Y. And once that gets into full swing, they plan on making a pick-up truck. So, I'm not too worried about Tesla's future in the various markets.

Most importantly, though, they're selling to more than just the US market. So, their research told them that making a mid-sized, mid-priced sedan would sell the most vehicles the soonest, with the rest of the markets being smaller and coming later. Basically, making the biggest impact the quickest. And the Model 3 seems to have met that mark with, again, over half a million pre-orders.

• Like x 2
  20. jsanford

jsanford Red Model 3

Model X is pretty popular around here.

I’d rather drive a coupe hatchback myself, but we have a pickup for hauling and my favorite ski resort only offers free parking if you have three or more skiers in the car. This will be our first four door.