Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should Model 3 been a SUV?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As my reservation gets closer to crunch time for order, does anyone else wish the Model 3 was a mid sized SUV?

I can’t imagine it being more expensive to build than the sedan - probably cheaper due to the open rear glass roof.

Being the most expensive car I have bought, I guess I could justify the expense if it had the utility of a SUV.

How have people reconciled this? Is it not a big deal for a small family?

As my reservation gets closer to crunch time for order, does anyone else wish the Model 3 was a mid sized SUV?

I can’t imagine it being more expensive to build than the sedan - probably cheaper due to the open rear glass roof.

Being the most expensive car I have bought, I guess I could justify the expense if it had the utility of a SUV.

You want this probably: Tesla Model Y - Google Search

I'll be ordering a Model Y as soon as I can.

Yes.

No. I wanted a mid-size sedan. Would have actually preferred if it was a 2 door coupe. Is a second car for us and mine :). We already have a ‘14 Ford Escape AWD that covers all the SUV needs. To new to replace. Model Y is coming. The Escape May be replaced with a Y down the road.

We also wanted a ‘back up’ vehicle for now during the transition to all electric.

Reactions: DrDabbles
Were it an SUV, I would have never purchased it. And SUVs are most popular in the US, which would have reduced possible sales elsewhere around the world. Even the upcoming Model Y is a crossover instead of a full SUV. If you want an SUV, buy a Model X I guess.

Also, the most common injury to SUV drivers in a head-on collision is injuries to the lower legs and feet. I just saw one happen yesterday, and I can honestly say I will stick with my choice to never again own an SUV or full-sized truck. They are way too dangerous, they are way too big, and there's just no need for them.

No I much prefer a sedan, as they are easier to park and are more efficient to operate.

Reactions: DR61 and DrDabbles

I would have preferred an SUV although they are not for everyone.

Look at what Ford is doing, they are pretty much giving up on the sedan market.

Look at what Ford is doing, they are pretty much giving up on the sedan market.

But they're basically making baby SUVs that are much more like crossovers than a traditional SUV. And of course, they're one of the very few pickup truck makers in the world. Probably not a good time to be giving up on the rest of your vehicles when one of the F150 factories had a major fire, though. ;)

Go to any mall parking lot. 80% of the vehicles are SUVs. Tesla made their point with the performance of the Model S, that an electric sedan could out-perform a gasoline powered one.

The Model 3 needed to be a car that SELLS, and today a car that sells is an SUV. I know, I know, 465.000 reservations are a lot of sales, but what happens after that initial rush of buyers who would take ANY Tesla that was in their price range? The MY better be ready, and it better be good. Not sure another CUV will cut it, either.

Go to any mall parking lot. 80% of the vehicles are SUVs. Tesla made their point with the performance of the Model S, that an electric sedan could out-perform a gasoline powered one.

The Model 3 needed to be a car that SELLS, and today a car that sells is an SUV. I know, I know, 465.000 reservations are a lot of sales, but what happens after that initial rush of buyers who would take ANY Tesla that was in their price range? The MY better be ready, and it better be good. Not sure another CUV will cut it, either.
Thing is though, they have already done that with the Model X which is usually outsold by the sedan Model S.
I'm thinking that EV buyers care less about having an SUV because making it fatter and sticking it higher in the air slows it down and decreases range.

Reactions: DR61 and Msjulie

They offer the Model X, and by the time they're done fulfilling their half million reservations, they'll begin production on the Model Y. And once that gets into full swing, they plan on making a pick-up truck. So, I'm not too worried about Tesla's future in the various markets.

Most importantly, though, they're selling to more than just the US market. So, their research told them that making a mid-sized, mid-priced sedan would sell the most vehicles the soonest, with the rest of the markets being smaller and coming later. Basically, making the biggest impact the quickest. And the Model 3 seems to have met that mark with, again, over half a million pre-orders.

Model X is pretty popular around here.

I’d rather drive a coupe hatchback myself, but we have a pickup for hauling and my favorite ski resort only offers free parking if you have three or more skiers in the car. This will be our first four door.