TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Should Model S have a solar panel?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Beckler, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Beckler

Beckler Member

Was wondering if it would be a useful option but a quick calculation shows probably not. Assuming you could get 150W from covering the roof with a flexible panel, that's roughly 1 mi. of range for every 2 hours in full sun. :biggrin: But I suppose in an emergency it could be useful!

2. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Maybe to maintain the 12v battery it would have a small benefit, but at a pretty high cost.

Evan, Via Tapatalk

3. strider

strider Active Member

It's a gimmick on the Karma. The weight and cost would negate any benefit. I would rather have the glass sunroof.

4. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

And the Leaf.

5. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

A small solar panel (as on the Leaf) can have the benefit of maintaining the 12V battery and exchanging the cabin air when it's sunny out. The solar panel on the Karma is primarily for cosmetic reasons.

6. Rodolfo Paiz

Rodolfo Paiz P85 "Plug and Play"

I don't think the technology is yet to the point where it's an easy snap-in, and the weight/cost value proposition isn't there in my eyes considering how little time many of these cars will spend "in full sun." I'm betting that a very large percentage of these cars will live in garages and only collect sunlight while they're out running errands, so the solar panel is not a good investment.

I'd rather put the solar panels on the house, and have them working hard all the time.

7. Ardie

Ardie Member

Sunlight is pretty weak. You need a large amount of surface area to collect enough sunlight to do anything useful. There's a reason mother nature never made plants that could run around.

The square footage on the car's roof isn't enough to run the car's heater or air conditioner, but it may be enough to run them in some sort of reduced capacity mode.
    Anyway, it ought to be enough power to run a circulating pump for the battery coolant, or cabin ventilation fan, or a Wi-Fi connection.
    The best use might be a way to keep the battery from dying completely (aka: "bricking"), but it isn't guaranteed to work if you keep it a dark garage...

-- Ardie

8. kinddog

kinddog Banned

And the Prius.

- - - Updated - - -

exactly. they know this thing will be indoors when not driving. it would push the expense of the Tesla even higher.

that said, i wish for the standard roof they put two little air-flow humps on it (a la Prius). that would look badass.

9. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

As others have noted, too little surface area and too much cost. I suggest reading this excellent analysis of why cows aren't solar powered :), it humorously covers similar analysis.
    Green Cows

10. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

The one on the Prius adds $1500 and just runs a fan to keep the car close to ambient when parked. Not even remotely worth it in my opinion. Keeping the window open a small amount accomplishes the same thing for free.

11. 100thMonkey

100thMonkey Member

it's a nice fashion statement but the real place for PV is on one's roof at home!

12. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

To me solar cells on a car says "greenwashing". It's faux green. We all know the panels that size don't make enough energy to do much of anything, and you have to carry the weight around.

13. bosgig

bosgig Member

I think a crank on the side would come in really handy! :biggrin:

Crank.PNG

I joke. . .actually I was wondering the same thing (although it would mess up the pano!)

14. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Cue link to post of Fisker review which talks about "500 years parked in direct sunlight 24x7 in Arizona" (and still not worth it) or whatever it was.

15. derekt75

derekt75 Member

Am I the only one that parks my car in the sun outside my office 5 days a week?

Regardless, a 25 W panel might cost $100 and generate maybe 25kWh (75 miles) of electricity over a year. Even at PG&E's punitive $0.34/kWh, that's still not great.
    Panels on my roof are cost effective because you can get them cheaper when you buy big heavy panels, and they produce more power when they're always outside. Also, I can sell electricity to PG&E at the daytime rate and charge my EV at their night time rate (well, assuming Model S will have some kind of charge timer at some point).

16. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Member

Plus with solar cells on your roof (implying your car is then in the shade) you will save battery on cooling! Its hard to estimate but my guess is that a car sized solar panel would not even generate enough power to take the heat out of the interior! External cells are a triple win: (a) bigger surface area, more power (c) not carried around with you, added weight and (c) your car stays cooler (or snow free for the winter set) without using battery for temp control!

17. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Two words: Vampire Load. 100 watt's worth of solar panel would counter a large portion of the S vampire load and would allow a much longer airport parking situation without much capacity loss.

18. Rodolfo Paiz

Rodolfo Paiz P85 "Plug and Play"

Seven words: still not worth the costs and tradeoffs. :)

19. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Depends if you come back from a long trip and don't have enough range to get where you want to go. Then it's priceless :wink:

20. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

The drain should be down to 2 miles a day now. If that's too much, you're probably gone for a really long time and should either find a place with a least a 110V outlet or take a taxi to the airport and leave it plugged in at home. I'd rather have the pano roof that a solar panel that is rarely needed.