Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should Model S have a solar panel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your car sits outside in the sun all day every day?
Mine is in a garage the majority of the time. Not worth a penny to me.
Absolutely love the solar panels on my old Audi A8. Never burn my thighs on those seats when it's outside in the summer, and they are covered in black leather! Or, if they could allow the MS to stay alseep at the airport for weeks on end, would be worth it.

A partial success that Ford is promoting EV research (!), but let's honestly hope they are keeping the real sauce secret or something. I'm surprised the Fisker Karma roof wasn't mentioned just for implementation, it's actually quite complementary visually (not that it was ever electrically integrated):
fisker-karma-solar-roof.jpg

EDIT: It was mentioned page 1 :wink:

Ford and all other manufacturers sure better be trying new things in the lab, on mules, and in the field. It's the longer path to finding the answer (that solar doesn't solve a stubbornly small battery capacity) but is likely to pave the road to core technology and IP for them along the way.

My opinion is as a functional device, Tesla shouldn't offer a solar roof until it improves some function of the car. Put that money towards solar infrastructure over superchargers.

The solar panels on the roof of my office building and on my house are great, cost-effective, and environmentally sound.
Solar panels on the roof of a car are just an expensive gimmick, not cost-effective, and an environmental waste of resources.
So you see no real benefit in being able to leave your car unplugged for an indefinite period and not have the battery drain below usable levels? Sure it's great to have solar at home and work, since few have the option of work place solar you are something of a special case. Thin film solar panels on a vehicle are hardly a waste of resources, especially when compared to an entire 4500lb vehicle that's moving a single individual most of the time.

So you see no real benefit in being able to leave your car unplugged for an indefinite period and not have the battery drain below usable levels?

I would assume the number of people who leave their Tesla parked out in the sun, unplugged for an indefinite period is very low.

The only likely scenario I can think of is parking at an airport, and even then I would seek covered parking (either at the airport or offsite) or leave my Tesla safe at home, before I'd leave it out in the elements for days or weeks at a time.

I would assume the number of people who leave their Tesla parked out in the sun, unplugged for an indefinite period is very low.

The only likely scenario I can think of is parking at an airport, and even then I would seek covered parking (either at the airport or offsite) or leave my Tesla safe at home, before I'd leave it out in the elements for days or weeks at a time.
Well, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I see many expensive cars out in the sun at private airports, many with portable PV panels plugged into the lighter....The panels on my Audi moonroof are barely noticable, but the benefit is dramatic.

There’s been some posts about solar panels on top of the roof of the Model S here (Post #640):

Tesla in Australia? | TMC

I think a Station Wagon Concept Car at some point in time would be a pretty neat thing when Tesla has started to accumulate enough resources. Then they could join the other car manufacturers and present a Station Wagon Concept Car at perhaps the Geneva or the Frankfurt Motor Show. And that Station Wagon Concept could perhaps have a regular panoramic sunroof just like the current Model S has, and then the roof over the stations wagon part cold be covered by a solar panel that hopefully could cover vampire drain for people interested in such an option (as well as those who just have to max out the order sheet :wink: ).

There’s been some posts about solar panels on top of the roof of the Model S here (Post #640):

Tesla in Australia? | TMC

I think a Station Wagon Concept Car at some point in time would be a pretty neat thing when Tesla has started to accumulate enough resources. Then they could join the other car manufacturers and present a Station Wagon Concept Car at perhaps the Geneva or the Frankfurt Motor Show. And that Station Wagon Concept could perhaps have a regular panoramic sunroof just like the current Model S has, and then the roof over the stations wagon part cold be covered by a solar panel that hopefully could cover vampire drain for people interested in such an option (as well as those who just have to max out the order sheet :wink: ).
This has been brought up before but it seems totally impractical to me. The amount of gain would be minimal. The panel would obviously not be ideally oriented and it would only work when parked/driven in the sun. It would certainly NOT be an option I would pay for or even want.

Not yet. In 20 years all e-cars will have i am sure. Those will be low cost perovskit flexible panels. 30% conversion rate. like 1,3kw peak on the whole surface.
E-cars will weigh only 800 kgs. thus need less energy. Though in cities with big buildings it will be still diffiuclt.
A luxury but perovskit solar panels are expected to be darn cheap.
BIg parking buildings will be designed differently as today. With light channels etc.....Parking places in sun....solar architecture

look a 900kg e-car.
http://www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=...ur=837&page=1&start=0&ndsp=12&ved=0CFsQrQMwAQ

A car with that weight and covered with solar panels for California certainly a big deal. :love:

Last edited:
Last edited:
Heres my thought...

the absolute theoretical max energy you can make is 1.3kW / m²
the glass roof lets say is 2m²
and lets say you have by some miracle a 50% efficient transparent solar panel, (46% panels exist in a lab, and transparent panels exist but not together)

you are making 1.3kW's of power which is the same as leaving your vehicle plugged into a regular Nema 5-15 socket. that's not bad IMO but these numbers are way too optimistic for today's solar tech. so until we hit 50% or greater efficiency , its useless.

now if you are able to throw 35-40% efficient panels on your house and cover ever sq mm of the roof, you should be able to net zero your usage along with the car and i believe that is a far better approach.

As I've said I'd give up a pano roof that provides nothing of value to me for a solar panel that does, so it need not be transparent, plus there is a good amount of surface area on the frunk as well. My property is also heavily wooded so solar at home is not an option.

I used to work for a PV manufacturer and this topic comes up very frequently. Efficiency in solar panels is not sufficient to power the MS. The technology is rapidly improving, but it will take a significant breakthrough in pv absorption / efficiency for it make any sense in its use for autos.