TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Should my iOS app make sounds too?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by arijaycomet, Jan 16, 2015.

1. arijaycomet

arijaycomet Member

iPhone 6, on iOS version 8.1.2
    Tesla Model S app, on version 2.2
    2014 Model S, on version 6.01

When there are notifications (charging stopped/started) the notifications show up on my lock screen, but my phone never makes a noise. Is there supposed to be any sound when a new notification occurs on the iOS app?

2. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

Mine makes a sound. You need to change your sound settings.

3. arijaycomet

arijaycomet Member

What setting, though? All my other apps make sounds no problem. The only sounds that have nothing set are Calendar, and Reminder alerts in the native OS settings. So unless Tesla is using one of those two, there is nowhere else to set anything that I am aware of....

4. Phil K

Phil K Member

Change in settings - notifications, and turn on 'sound'.

5. arijaycomet

arijaycomet Member

4dddd4a42469793c7bbc2f6a6d1a2bff.jpg

No such option for me.

6. arijaycomet

arijaycomet Member

Here is also view from main ios setting page, scrolling down to model s app

a13c4498e78aeac59f7a88c624b5ef56.jpg

7. arijaycomet

arijaycomet Member

56975e7df0f011c926a09d0625ee2197.jpg

ba31031a1f8dc3608b157a57965019ff.jpg

Here are my settings for Sounds. Which is why I'm wondering if they are using the Calendar or Reminder sounds and hence why mine is silent. (I use a third party app called Fantastical hence why I have those silenced)

8. Phil K

Phil K Member

Oh, it's settings - notifications - model s, not model s directly under settings.

9. race3

race3 Member

mine does not make sounds and i do not see a sound option under the notification settings for this app. it's fine by however, but the option would be nice i suppose.

10. arijaycomet

arijaycomet Member

See my first photo. There is no SOUND option when I go the route you're talking.. my first photo is SETTINGS -> Notifications -> Model S ... and there is no option to add/remove sound.

Glad to hear I'm not alone in this problem. But yeah, I'd like it because I'm traveling a bit lately and using the Supercharger -- so when it is done i need to manually remember to look at phone to not miss it -- that is my beef.

11. Phil K

Phil K Member

Oh yes. Sorry I missed that. I don't have the phone nearby and my suggestion is the usual pathway, as you have tried. So the App does not have sound notification(my phone is always set to silent).

12. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

I guess I'm not the only one who thought the 1Up sound was perfect for text messages :biggrin:

13. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

I have precisely the same issue. No facility to turn on sound for notifications from this app.

14. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

The notification always buzzes for me. I believe it rings too, but last time I was in a noisy environment, so I only felt the buzz (from the phone).

15. arijaycomet

arijaycomet Member

What version of iOS do you run and what type of phone? Again on iOS 8.1.2 on iPhone 6, there is no sound provision.

Contacted Tesla tech support yesterday morning, got a call in the evening. Apparently there SHOULD be a setting for sound (Settings -> Notifications - > Model S) -- but this guy on the phone had an iPhone 4 he was using to test, so it wasn't even the latest iOS. He said that was all they provided him for testing over the phone. He was going to look into it, but if you look at the App Store you'll see other review(s) that also complain about the lack of sounds in latest device/OS scenarios.

Hopefully whatever is causing the lack of sounds in a few cases will be resolved in a future app update. Tesla is now aware of it from my chat with this guy who claims he will flow this feedback to the proper people to fix the issue.

16. thedaysbetween

My experience is somewhat different on my iPhone 5s iOS 8.1.2. I get a silent notification when charging starts and a sound notification when charging is complete.

17. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

iOS 8.1.2 on iPhone 6

On my phone the Tesla App settings has: Allow Notifications, Show in Notification Centre, and Show on Lock Screen, which means the sound setting comes from the notification centre.

But like I said, I didn't hear the sound as it was noisy (and i get so many alerts that sometimes the brain just shuts them off, which is why I have vibrate on).

18. kendallpb

kendallpb Model S: P 8061

@arijaycomet - thanks for making Tesla aware of this. They need more recent hardware; if they truly have no device they can test with the latest iOS, then that's a problem.

FWIW, I have iOS 8.1.2, Model S app 2.2, and Model S firmware 6.0 (IIRC). I do get sounds along with my banners.

1. Settings : Notifications : Model S - no sound option, but the list of apps in Settings : Notifications shows "Sounds, Banners" in small print beneath the app name. Clearly this was set at some point in the past (by me? default when I originally installed?).

2. Settings : Models S (i.e., settings for the app itself) has a "Notifications" entry that, as above, says "Sounds, Banners"; tapping seems to lead to the same Notifications page, but again, no sound option on either page (no surprise, at this point).

3. In the Model S app itself, there's a settings page. I have notifications checked for everything except "Charging Started" (timed charging = I don't want a wake-up alert ;-) ). No options for sound/no sound.

Some apps in Settings : Notifications show sound options and some don't. What they show (a toggle, or the ability to pick a sound) varies from app-to-app, so this smells like a bug on Tesla's part (perhaps triggered by an iOS update at some point). I don't remember what it used to have (on/off? select a sound?). Again, thanks to @arijaycomet for contacting Tesla.

19. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

Make sure that you haven't accidentally activated the "do not disturb" on your phone.

20. kabirakhtar

kabirakhtar but you can call me Kabir

wow me three. maybe we all share a love for Mario Kart too. i seriously once saw a banana peel in the road and instinctively swerved to avoid it.