Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should Sentry mode be the default setting when car locks? Poll

Should Sentry mode be the default setting when car locks?

• Yes

Votes: 12 11.9%
  • No

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • Owner could choose their default setting.

Votes: 73 72.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are 5 people at my office with Model 3 and none of them (except me) will turn on sentry mode while parked at the work parking lot. They have a 10 to 20 miles commute and losing 10 miles while parking will almost double their battery usage. I have a 130 miles commute, so 10 miles is nothing to me and I have solar at home so charging is free.

While “always on” would provide the owner with constant protection, there are just times you wouldn’t want it triggered because you know the surroundings and the setting the car is parked in. Given how loud it is this wouldn’t always be a good thing.

One thing I thought about was the “old fashioned” car alarms going off during strong winds. Wonder if Sentry mode has a double check for presence of an actual body near the car when force is being applied to the car. A lot of False triggers are what likely resulted in people not responding to alarms going off and car manufacturers deciding not to include in vehicles.

I think we should be able to choose always on / always off, and also have GPS-location based exceptions. I can imagine that I would want it on all of the time when I am away from my house, but default to off in my garage (which already has security cameras).

Reactions: preilly44
There are 5 people at my office with Model 3 and none of them (except me) will turn on sentry mode while parked at the work parking lot. They have a 10 to 20 miles commute and losing 10 miles while parking will almost double their battery usage. I have a 130 miles commute, so 10 miles is nothing to me and I have solar at home so charging is free.

Huh?