TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Should surround cars always show up on the screen?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by SJC3, Aug 12, 2018.

1. SJC3

SJC3 Member

About 24 hours old and dealing with many issues, however, Im not sure if the following is an issue. Ive noticed most of the time, cars driving around me show up on the screen (gray teslas), but a handful of times, even with cars next to me and not far in front, nothing shows...just my car icon.

2. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

Yes it seems a bit random and it is EASY to see the cars in front of me. What I need it to do is show the cars in the blind spot.

3. SJC3

SJC3 Member

So yours doesn’t always show either? Agree a single use of the rear pdc sensor arc could turn into a car icon but it suffices for now... I want it to always work! Also forgot to mention when the cars don’t show, the lanes don’t show either. Ugh.

4. Forcelite

Forcelite Member

Blind spot detection is not out yet but will be out In v9 release in September. I wondered about this as well, since there are cameras on the side, did some research and found out side cameras are not active yet. V9 will have what your talking about.

• Informative x 1
  5. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Member

The side cameras are not yet active for EAP, so the car can't be sure if the ultrasonic sensors are picking up a car to your side or a barrier.

Sure, you could apply some logic that if the obstruction isn't continuous or is moving or whatever, but that'd be resources diverted to a temporary solution instead of towards the end goal of full autonomy.

6. LadyMacbrat

LadyMacbrat Member

Please please please. Almost killed myself today!

7. SJC3

SJC3 Member

Sounds good on the blind spot developments. But what about the cars in front and side that the three front cameras pick up? Shouldnt this feature along with the road lines always be there if cars are within range? Mine doesnt always show even on roads with clear lane lines.

8. JulienW

JulienW Member

• Like x 5
  9. HolyToledo

HolyToledo Member

Can't wait till we are at a point when (while not using EAP/FSD) looking over your shoulder, or even to the side-view mirror is considerably more risky than keeping your gaze forward, eyes on the road, and seeing the animated vehicles on screen while assessing your blind spot.

10. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

24 hours? Wait a week or so before you start getting upset. It takes a little while to understand how things actually work.

11. SJC3

SJC3 Member

I didnt realize asking questions on an online forum = being "upset."

• Like x 1
  12. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2018.42.2

On a recent road trip in my S, I noticed that some vehicles would continue to show up as I passed them. If I passed regular cars, they would disappear from the screen once they were no longer visible by the center cameras. If I passed semis, they would continue to be displayed on the screen as I passed them.

13. LadyMacbrat

LadyMacbrat Member

14. Cycle11111

Cycle11111 Member

It must already see the blind spots as AP does lane changes and in traffic it doesn’t start unless it is clear.