Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should Tesla add HPWCs to Supercharger locations?

Should Tesla also install HPWCs at Supercharger locations?

• No

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • Yes; maybe a couple...

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Yes; But only at locations where it makes sense (hotels, shopping, nice restaurants)

Votes: 15 41.7%
  • Yes; ≥1 HPWC bay for every SC bay

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Yes; <1 HPWC bay for every SC bay

Votes: 3 8.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

nwdiver

Feb 17, 2013
United States
If this poll already exists please forgive me :confused:

I totally understand why Tesla would have been hesitant to add HPWCs initially... unless I'm mistaken the Superchargers use 480v and HPWCs used 240v so you would have needed an additional transformer to power the HPWCs. Now that HPWCs can take 277v (Which is L-N of 480v) you should be able to string up a row of HPWCs powered off the same transformer as the Supercharger.

IMO this could relieve some congestion for two big reasons.
- Even at 40A with a single charge the last 10% with a HPWC is nearly as quick as a supercharger.
- Sometime you just need a few more miles of charge to make you destination.

I'd love to see Tesla add a few HPWCs at most SC locations... particularly where people would commonly spend several hours. I know the Destination charging program is supposed to fill that gap but seems like Tesla should step up where no one else will to help relieve some stress on the Superchargers...

Thoughts?

There's a missing option, though I voted for the third.

Install both HPWCs and J1772 plugs (both where it makes sense). Think of the J1772 plugs as a marketing expense since the people who use them will gaze longingly at the Teslas. The J1772 stations should also cost a nominal amount. And they also serve as additional backup for Teslas.

• Funny
Reactions: nwdiver
The problem here is that you need people to understand that if they are going to hang around for 2-3 hours, to use the HWPC. You'll find people who don't care and use the SC anyway.

My solution:
At the busiest, highest traffic superchargers used by locals: Connect four charging stalls to each supercharger instead of two.

This would provide increased connection points; would allow people who are at 95%-100% to sit there and not really affect the energy available to be delivered to others; yet would not increase the demand on the grid.

Issue: You might have a case where four "idlers" are connected to one supercharger and four people needing a fast charge are connected to another and competing for the same power. This kind of happens already except with stalls are in pairs rather than groups of four.

Reactions: Dave EV
It would probably be cheaper upgrade the charge port on the roadsters...

From what I could read, It's unfortunately more complicated and costly than just change the chargeport :( That's why I'd love to find one roadster fastcharger that were sold originaly near the superchargers. Or at least something we could easily use an adapter for, like the CAN from hsharp.

kind regards

I like the idea.....

Here is my concern: Tesla already has negotiated some sort of parking arrangement with the property owner. We know that the arrangement can be anything from 100% reserved for Tesla to at least half with some sort of general parking allowed for a restricted time period or time of day.

I think having a couple of spots with HPWC would tie up more public parking slots under Tesla's arrangement and might cost them more money and perhaps even some bad publicity (why is the Tesla taking up a parking spot to plug in when there are 4 open slots at the Supercharger?) ICEing might become more problematic too.

The public is ignorant of the general charging rule of, "the longer you stay, the slower charging rate you can use."

I think the HPWC should be at all Tesla stores or service centers where Superchargers already exist, like Burbank or Dublin. Owners who wish to use Superchargers at places like that should stay with their cars (or inside the store) or use the HPWC to be gone for an extended period.