Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should Tesla allow this level of customization?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most people are probably happy not being able to screw up the torque distribution or otherwise get lost in a plethora of settings. However, I do think it would be nice to get some extra power usage data and/or be able to customize the display colors and the like.

Noisy transmission is not surprising and not a sign of any problem - its a design choice.
The standard way of canceling transmission noise is by using helical gears. The problem is they generate a 'side' load on the gear-bearings and casing. So they have to be stronger, bigger and heavier. Going with straight-cut gears total mass is much lower but it generates some vibes.

The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Straight Cut Gears

Being able to change the brake regeneration is awesome!! And front to rear wheel torque is beyond helpful. It looks very user friendly and obviously it's not just a low end machine as it pulls on the Ferrari. Beautiful car inside and out.
Im pretty sure you can do both of those on your Tesla. You can change the regen brake resistance, (and it turns off completely at 100% charge), and you can also change torque front to back (albeit at highway speeds) through range mode. (I believe it essentially turns the Tesla into a FWD car at highway speeds).

Im pretty sure you can do both of those on your Tesla. You can change the regen brake resistance, (and it turns off completely at 100% charge), and you can also change torque front to back (albeit at highway speeds) through range mode. (I believe it essentially turns the Tesla into a FWD car at highway speeds).

There are only 2 choices of regeneration on the Tesla. And this lets you do it by percentages, which is far more specific. I don't recall the Tesla's turning off completely at 100% charge, but I'll take your word for it, as I rarely charge to that amount. I used it as much for "brake helping" versus just recharging, so I would always want it on, but I realize that can cause problems, if it was TRULY 100% and you were dumping more power into it, but I would find that rare.

About the Front and rear Wheel drive ability, that's still not a choice the driver can make with a Tesla, but I get ya.

Regardless, love the looks of the car, and what it can do :)

and completely useless.
In tesla this redistribution of torque is done by computer fully automatic all the time.

It's not useless if you care more about how it feels when it decelerates or "coasts" or how much you do or don't want put back in.
Some people like to coast like an ICE vehicle.

The feel of regeneration is a turn-off for many and there's a huge difference with and without it.
I personally like it and wouldn't mind a max setting and everything below that as a choice.

It's just like the concern of "range anxiety". If Elon wants more people to drive them, get rid of the excuse of: "I don't like the feel of harsh regeneration" feel. Because it could be set to WHATEVER the drivers wanted.

I know when I took a test drive the first time, I wished for more options than the two. It was rather jarring.
With the Rimacs idea... when you want more regen for whatever reason, you could set it to that. JMHO

With the Rimacs idea... when you want more regen for whatever reason, you could set it to that. JMHO

iu

In tesla the maxium amout of regen is standard. This maximum takes into consideration battery, motor, inverter, vehicle speed, stability etc.
With Low there is no regen during accelerator lift-off and a bit of regen in parallel with "classic braking".

One can envision that he would want to have half of it, or two thirds or one third or 76,5687% of current 'Standard'.
In the end he would end using 100% of standard.

These are cars, not tweaking toys.

iu

In tesla the maxium amout of regen is standard. This maximum takes into consideration battery, motor, inverter, vehicle speed, stability etc.
With Low there is no regen during accelerator lift-off and a bit of regen in parallel with "classic braking".

One can envision that he would want to have half of it, or two thirds or one third or 76,5687% of current 'Standard'.
In the end he would end using 100% of standard.

I know all that. I stated my thoughts that SOME may want to adjust.
You don't, so that's great, but I don't appreciate your condescending "These are cars, not tweaking toys."

There are many things in all cars, including Teslas that are incremental. Just because you don't want it, doesn't mean others wouldn't.
You're probably the type that is happy with the current windshield wiper lack of incremental settings.

But they could be both with some simple software changes. Making something easy to customize adds value and differentiates the product even further from what existed before it. All those options are probably already available in the car under the diagnostics settings so it would cost nothing to make some of that available to the owner.

Reactions: scott jones
I am one of those people that's perfectly happy to let the car manage itself (though I did grow up overclocking my PC and such so I'd appreciate the capability even if not using it).

I do wonder if they are completely capable of this but choose not to for ease of customer service and maintenance as a "mass market" production car. Rimac can do it because they only plan to make 8 cars per year. The few times I've called the Tesla service main number, the people answering the phones seem to barely have a handle on simple things like "my car is saying it needs an update but isn't prompting me to actually do so" - took 3 calls to get them to resend the last update. This probably also feeds into the reason why even the data review is limited.

Reactions: scott jones