TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Should Tesla awards game trophy feature?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Dan5, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Dan5

Dan5 Member

I saw the Volt does something with along these lines,
    They have an electronic award for 50 miles electric on a charge, and 1000 miles driven in pure EV mode.

I'm thinking it would be cool for Tesla to do the same thing
    I'm thinking awards would be like:
    10 miles below 250 Wh/mile
    10 miles over projected range, 20 miles, 50 miles, etc

Any thoughts or ideas, and also have an electronic hall of fame for those registered.

2. epley

epley P85 VIN 693

How about badges for distance travelled, shortest and longest time between charges, most different charge locations in a day/week/month, etc.?

3. Sousaphil

Sousaphil P2,595

Badges based on Model S reservation date would be nice too, considering production and VINs didn't follow it.

4. Hobiemon

Hobiemon Member

And for those of us still waiting for our cars- most times refreshing MyTesla page, hours spent forums surfing........

5. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

6. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Nissan does something similar for LEAF owners...

nissan_leaf_carwings-580x343.jpg

7. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

I would love to 'opt in' to a system like this. So long as I get to pick and choose what data gets put out there.

8. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

LEAF owners hate the fact that they have to "opt in" each time they start the car.
    The "Push OK to confirm" button on the touch screen.
    Some mumblings that they have to do it every time (not just once) because different people could drive the car and their legal dept wants them to make sure that all drivers "opt in".

9. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Oh I meant opt in once. Then hit an ok for things to get posted to the public. I don't really want me averaging 100mph for an hour to show up anywhere.

10. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Don't worry - with a LEAF you won't have that problem... (94MPH top speed)

11. JohnEC

JohnEC S 00443

Seriously?

Sorry, I just think Tesla has better things to do.

12. JRod0802

JRod0802 Member

I think it's just simply a matter of profit. If the amount of money it would cost to implement such a system will result in enough increased sales to generate a profit, it'll be worth it... just hire a few people to work on it.

Around 2006 when the Xbox 360 and PS3 were just coming out, a lot of people would buy the 360 version of a game (like Call of Duty) because it had Achievements. PS3 quickly copied them with something called Trophies. It certainly generated profit for the Xbox.

That being said, off the top of my head, I would think that such a thing would not generate profit for Tesla. I believe those "games" for the Volt and Leaf were meant more to make you forget the fact that the performance of those cars is pretty bad for what you're paying. For Tesla, a statistics page would be nice, but I don't think a trophy system would generate a profit.

13. elreydetodo

elreydetodo #14,427

I'm the OP of that other thread, and I still think that achievements are a great idea. I'd prefer it to be an option to turn on/off that is persistent across drives, possibly linked to your driver profile so your significant other can get his/her own achievements too.

Is there a way to get this idea to Tesla directly for consideration? I won't have my car for a couple more months, but I imagine I'll miss out on a ton of opportunities for "points" in the first few months ;-)

14. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

They read the forum.