Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SHOULD TESLA BE WORRIED? (2022 Mercedes-Benz EQB Starts at $10k Less Than a Tesla Model Y)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With a 65 KWh pack, that thing will be best as a city-car.

My experience (9 years) suggests 65 kWh is PLENTY for any driving in locations in North America where there is a Mercedes dealership presence.

Our 2013 Model S is 68 kWh usable now after 9 years, and we do 60% of our driving on road trips with two or more charging stops.

Our sons 2018 Ioniq has 28 kWh and can do the same road trips as our Model S and get to the finish line within 10 minutes of 5 hours of driving as it charges at 70 kW well into the top of the pack and has more than double the efficiency.

Reactions: Big Earl and bay74
Reactions: FlyF4 and Bouba
Not last week anyway. Oct 2019. And the Bolt had 240 miles of range.

Not sure of your point. Anyway, as I posted earlier, I'll be hitting a goodly number of EA sites on the way to the Cape (around 2800 miles) and will report back with the results.

Rich
A lot has changed since Oct 2019. A lot. The EPA for the Bolt is 217 hwy.

My point - "Not until the charging infrastructure for DCFC EVs is up to the standard that Tesla has set.". It was actually Nissan who set the bar, hence why the only DCFC adapter Tesla sells is a CHAdeMO, but more importantly, the distance between CCS sites is now lower than the distance between SC sites.

Soon there will be 4:1 CCS to SC sites. In early 2020 is when parity was hit.

There are both good and bad things about CCS and SC sites. SC tends to have more stalls, but they also are more likely to have a line. SC's tend to be further from the highway. The urban areas are often nerfed to half strength. And what is really sad, it seems us Tesla owners tend to leave more trash on the ground.

So far, neither SC or CCS sites have left me stranded (a few close calls), but the only times I've had to wait for a stall was with Tesla. Consequently the door to door time on the same trip is a wash for me even when I have to use 50 kW sites.

The massive advantage Tesla SuperChargers once enjoyed is not there anymore. It's a toss-up for me.

• Disagree
Reactions: Big Earl
My experience (9 years) suggests 65 kWh is PLENTY for any driving in locations in North America where there is a Mercedes dealership presence.

Our 2013 Model S is 68 kWh usable now after 9 years, and we do 60% of our driving on road trips with two or more charging stops.

Our sons 2018 Ioniq has 28 kWh and can do the same road trips as our Model S and get to the finish line within 10 minutes of 5 hours of driving as it charges at 70 kW well into the top of the pack and has more than double the efficiency.

The MB doesn't have reliable well maintained strategically positioned Tesla supercharger stations to rely on, and that 2018 Ionic is a plug-in-hybrid... oops.

The MB doesn't have reliable well maintained strategically positioned Tesla supercharger stations to rely on, and that 2018 Ionic is a plug-in-hybrid... oops.
You are wrong on the Ioniq EV. One of the better performing small cars in Bjørn Nylands 1000 km test. Charged very fast compared to the battery size, and the lowest consumption of all cars.

Supercharger network is no longer a selling point in Europe, as Tesla are gradually opening them to other brands. We have other well working networks also.

Reactions: SmartElectric
It may START at ten grand less...but try walking out of the Mercedes showroom with just the base model
Here in Norway, with similar equipment as an Y, the EQB cost the same. It has 7 seats also, but lacking a tow hitch is a big con. Comfort is very good, screens are crisp but way too small, sliding 2nd seats give lots of space for luggage. Interior finish is cool with lots of customisable ambient light. Big drawback is the silly start/stop button you need to use to turn on AND off the car! Battery is a bit on the small side at 65ish kWh net, meaning 100 km shorter range than a Y. It charges fast also, a few minutes slower than the Y.
The Geländewagen look is what it is.
Should have had 85 kWh net ...

You are wrong on the Ioniq EV. One of the better performing small cars in Bjørn Nylands 1000 km test. Charged very fast compared to the battery size, and the lowest consumption of all cars.

Supercharger network is no longer a selling point in Europe, as Tesla are gradually opening them to other brands. We have other well working networks also.

I'm in the USA and there is absolutely no comparison between Tesla's well maintained well located stations and everyone-else. My point had nothing to do with charging rate.

Reactions: cusetownusa
It has been selling in Europe since last fall and it is generally well liked in various reviews (carwow, Byorn, etc.) It’s going to be the cheapest 7 seat (kids/small adults only in 3rd row) option out there and is much cheaper than a Model Y after the $7,500 tax credit. We’re going to look at it for my wife since it will be 99% city use under 40 miles a day and there’s a dealer that will sell at msrp.

Tesla should in no way be worried.

Reactions: SmartElectric

Wrong! The 2018 Ioniq also came in pure EV 28 kWh variety, which we own and drive, it's not a hybrid, it charges very competitively in terms of distance added per minute charging compared to a big battery 2013 Model S. Point stands, 64 kWh is PLENTY even with a worse charging network, provided of course you live anywhere near the CCS nationwide charging network.

VW are also advertising on tv a non existent ev...it looks like a VW bus. Funny how some people are complaining that Tesla are selling FSD which isn’t fully F or S yet, while legacy car manufacturers are marketing imaginary cars

Reactions: bruce4000
VW are also advertising on tv a non existent ev...it looks like a VW bus. Funny how some people are complaining that Tesla are selling FSD which isn’t fully F or S yet, while legacy car manufacturers are marketing imaginary cars
Why do you believe that? I have sat in the pre production car this winter. Deliveries scheduled here this autumn.

My guess is that by the time you add all the packages most people want the sticker price of the car will be as much or than the Y. Starting price with German cars can be a long way off from the final price. I added 30% or more to each of the BMWs I leased every 3 years before moving to Tesla.

When was the last time you extensively drove a CCS car? (DCFC is all fast charging formats, Tesla Supercharger, CCS, CHAdeMO)

2018 - Was not possible to go interstate on all routes, all CCS /CHAdeMO is under 100kW.
2019 - First >100kW CCS is deployed, it becomes possible to travel coast to coast by CCS.
2020 - Number of CCS sites achieves parity with Supercharger sites. First Electrify America sites start popping up with 350 kW capability.
2021 - Most interstate routes have CCS support. # of CCS and CHAdeMO sites surpass SC sites.
2022 - There are 5,569 CCS sites, 5,419 CHAdeMO sites, and 1,525 Tesla sites. This is why Tesla needs to produce a CCS<>SC adapter set.

Try the following exercise.

(1) Go to plugshare.
(2) Filter Plugs to CCS/SAE only
(3) Remove Coming Soon
(4) Move map to show Maine

OK, North and East there's next to nothing, but there are at least some that can help. We've used some of those locations in our Kona..

(5) Zoom in so only the current chargers are shown.
(6) Set minimum power to 50kW.

The odd charger is eliminated where there's a 24kW at a dealer.

(7) Set minimum power to 70kW
Alakazam! Only 4 locations remain, the most northerly is in Westbrook, ME, which is west of Portland, ME.

Now you can zoom in a bit more.

(8) Set minimum power to 120kW

2 locations remain, the most northerly in Scarborough, ME, south of Portland, ME. .

(9) Zoom out to show the whole of Maine
(10) Change plug filter to Tesla (fast)

Count the number of locations in Maine. Consider that all but one of those locations has at least 8 stalls. (Jackman, ME has 4 )

(11) Change the plug back to CCS/SAE.

Last month we went on a roadtrip and didn't take our Kona because in a hurry after a change of plans (thanks Delta!) we thought we'd be heading to western West Virginia getting to our destination would depend on availability of a single 24kW CCS.

Next month we'll be going to the Maritimes and to do it I'll be depending on multiple locations with single 50kW CCS chargers (1) working (2) not busy.

I _really_ wish PlugShare had a "Minimum number of chargers" filter and a "minimum number of plugs" filter, so we could have the map without it being cluttered by sites I'd want to avoid if possible.