Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SHOULD TESLA BE WORRIED? (2022 Mercedes-Benz EQB Starts at $10k Less Than a Tesla Model Y)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SHOULD TESLA BE WORRIED??​

Not until the charging infrastructure for DCFC EVs is up to the standard that Tesla has set.

Rich
When was the last time you extensively drove a CCS car? (DCFC is all fast charging formats, Tesla Supercharger, CCS, CHAdeMO)

2018 - Was not possible to go interstate on all routes, all CCS /CHAdeMO is under 100kW.
2019 - First >100kW CCS is deployed, it becomes possible to travel coast to coast by CCS.
2020 - Number of CCS sites achieves parity with Supercharger sites. First Electrify America sites start popping up with 350 kW capability.
2021 - Most interstate routes have CCS support. # of CCS and CHAdeMO sites surpass SC sites.
2022 - There are 5,569 CCS sites, 5,419 CHAdeMO sites, and 1,525 Tesla sites. This is why Tesla needs to produce a CCS<>SC adapter set.

No, Tesla does not need to be worried, but Mercedes needs to worry. If it's better than their ICE offering, then their cash flow might decrease too fast before they can ramp their production to be as profitable as their ICE operation.

Tesla has pretty much cemented their future. You've probably read it many times on this site already, but it's a race for second.

(Edit)
The primary reason for Tesla raising prices is demand. Yeah, they say it's from parts supply/ materials shortage, but we know it's demand. If the used car market can sell for more than new, you have a problem. If you ran a business, why would you sell your product for less than what the market would pay for it? Remember, the consumer for Mercedes is the dealer. Do you really think Mercedes is getting a higher profit margin on their offering?

Just read what Farley said. The Legacies are sweating and a lower price (if you can get it) is how they're trying to stay in the conversation.

I can already see where competition will try to get antitrust laws against Tesla. They practically have a monopoly here in the US. Last I read, I think Tesla had 78% of the EV market. If the 80/20 rule holds, well...

Last edited:
Trivia - There are only 53 Hydrogen Fuel Cell refueling sites in North America, and all but one are in California.
California is the only state that doesn't realize that FCEV's are a failed technology that has a larger CO2 footprint than a CNG car (hydrogen is cracked from natural gas).
Oh they know it, but the $$$ they're getting tells them to ignore it.

SHOULD TESLA BE WORRIED??​

Not until the charging infrastructure for DCFC EVs is up to the standard that Tesla has set.

Rich

I agree with you in principle, but charging parity with the Supersharger network is quickly becoming the case; if it isn’t there already for Interstate driving over most of the US, it will be soon. I would offer a different reason why Tesla in the short-term has little worry about the EQB: there aren’t any. And there won’t be more than a handful of them by year end. Same situation with the Ioniq5, same for the Genesis GV60/GV70, and so on. All viable competitors, just no significant (or any) availability.

When was the last time you extensively drove a CCS car? (DCFC is all fast charging formats, Tesla Supercharger, CCS, CHAdeMO)

2019. Chevy Bolt Premier. Two trips:

Cape Cod to north/west MA for leaf peeping (around 500 miles), and, Cape Cod to just south of Tucson AZ (2800 miles).

I wrote about the long road trip in my book, Electric Vehicles, What About Them?!?

It was six days on the road. The EA network failed us on three of those days (almost stranded on two of those days!). I'm sure it's better now. Will find out starting Saturday (6/4) as I'll be driving our Tesla Y to Cape Cod from AZ (did a round-trip last year in the Tesla. Piece of cake.) using a CCS adapter when possible. Just to try out the EA system.

Rich

Reactions: SmartElectric
more CCS stalls...that actually are maintained and work...that's when non-Tesla vehicles will thrive.

big numbers are great for some people, but i like function over quantity.

Perception is what it is. People want to be able to seemlessly drive an EV just like their gasser they are leaving behind. the crapshoot that is EA and others is NOT a good perception. just compare Plugshare notes with Tesla charging and others. it's...disappointing to say the least.

I have zero worries in my long distance Tesla travel (three trips per year,roughly, 2600 miles round trip(s), spread out over 4 days or so).

There's NO WAY i'd have that comfort level with CCS, etc.

NO WAY the average joe and julie would want a family crapshoot to refuel their fancy EV.

Mercedes needs to help fixulate these fast chargepoints or they will sell in small numbers.

YMMV

2018 - Was not possible to go interstate on all routes, all CCS /CHAdeMO is under 100kW.
2019 - First >100kW CCS is deployed, it becomes possible to travel coast to coast by CCS.
2020 - Number of CCS sites achieves parity with Supercharger sites. First Electrify America sites start popping up with 350 kW capability.
2021 - Most interstate routes have CCS support. # of CCS and CHAdeMO sites surpass SC sites.
2022 - There are 5,569 CCS sites, 5,419 CHAdeMO sites, and 1,525 Tesla sites. This is why Tesla needs to produce a CCS<>SC adapter set.

There the $350 Korean CCS -> Tesla adapter available that works if your car has CCS compatibility. My 2022 X has CCS compatibility logic. But I would prefer to buy a Tesla branded and warrantied version of the adapter (even if they rebrand the adapter from the Korean company).

It is likely I would never use the adapter. But it would be nice to have the option to charge at other brand DCFCs.

Reactions: SO16
2019. Chevy Bolt Premier. Two trips:

Cape Cod to north/west MA for leaf peeping (around 500 miles), and, Cape Cod to just south of Tucson AZ (2800 miles).

I wrote about the long road trip in my book, Electric Vehicles, What About Them?!?

It was six days on the road. The EA network failed us on three of those days (almost stranded on two of those days!). I'm sure it's better now. Will find out starting Saturday (6/4) as I'll be driving our Tesla Y to Cape Cod from AZ (did a round-trip last year in the Tesla. Piece of cake.) using a CCS adapter when possible. Just to try out the EA system.

Rich
So nothing recent. And nothing with a long range.

crapshoot since 2014

do people really think this is good for EV adoption? hint: it's not. and this is one of MANY sites that just don't have that reliability people need. not even close.

it's a night and day compare when looking at Tesla fast charging vs others for, you know, actually using the car to travel!

Mercedes HAS to see this. as well as other "legacy" ICE makers that r trying to go EV.

Tesla’s goal is for everyone to drive an ev...not everyone drive a Tesla
Anyhow...it’s another car on the ‘soon’ to be released list, nothing more...as yet. And ask Rivian about releasing prices before production begins, very risky.
As for me personally... I got into Tesla to escape dealerships