Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SHOULD TESLA BE WORRIED? (2022 Mercedes-Benz EQB Starts at $10k Less Than a Tesla Model Y)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just finished a 5,300 mile road trip strictly on supercharger network with my 2017 MS. Absolutely flawless. Every stall worked the first time. Never had to try a different one.

As far as EA charging network? Still a LONG way to go in comparison to Tesla.

Edit -
TLDW - EA network stalls often do not work.

oh, and easily drove 1,200 miles in two days during daylight hours and stopped at a hotel and ate meals. Definitely a Tesla is the way to go for road tripping. Strictly used the in car NAV and was very accurate. I typically unhooked when it said 5 minutes remaining as it tends to be a bit conservative.

Last edited:
and it's been this way for many many years...like over 8 years for my personal experience. (4 years in a Leaf w/ Chademo and 4 years in a Model 3 w/ the Supercharger network). yeah yeah the Leaf of 2014 is not in the same league as the Model 3 of 2018. but it illustrates the stark differences in making sure one can drive their EV just like their gasser.

When the non-Tesla charging network gets to half reliability of the Supercharger network...well...

it seems there's but ONE maker of EVs that actually wants to sell and move us to electric transport. if ICE makers have so much money and experience to jump in the EV space...why do they not see this?

it seems there's but ONE maker of EVs that actually wants to sell and move us to electric transport. if ICE makers have so much money and experience to jump in the EV space...why do they not see this?
Oh, they see it. They just see more profit from ICE than EV at the moment. The question the ICE makers are trying to answer is how to stay alive when the guillotine pendulum swings the other way.

From what I'm seeing/reading, their play is to keep as much money (sell ICE & get rid of the middle man a.k.a dealerships), ask as much money (EV incentives), copy the leader, & throw whatever obstacles you can to slow down the leader.

That last one though is a double-edged sword. Any obstacles they throw, they themselves will eventually have to overcome themselves.

(Edit)
One can usually see what the strings are attached to if you follow the $$$.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bouba and Yelobird
The details about why the EQB is $10k cheaper than the Y are in the article - smaller battery with less range:
Of course, the EQB has to sacrifice somewhere by being cheaper, and it does in the range department. Official EPA range estimates haven't been announced, but the EQB is rated at only 260 miles of range on the WLTP test cycle, which gives EVs slightly better ratings than they receive from the EPA. By contrast, the Model Y is advertised at 318 miles of range, its 75-kilowatt-hour battery giving it an edge over the Mercedes 66.5-kWh pack.

Also, the “standard” dual motor Y has more horsepower - 351 (by default) than the EQB:
The Mercedes EQB will be available with a pair of powertrain options, one with 225 horsepower and one with 288 HP.

And, of course, the charging infrastructure for non-Teslas. I’ve also experienced the (albeit anecdotal) problem with attempting to use an EVgo or Electrify America charging station - they simply haven’t worked (in my experience). Only Chargepoints have been reliable.

• Helpful
Reactions: SageBrush
One thing I have noticed is that while the Tesla super chargers are convientely located there for your long trips…when you arrive at the little tourist town in the middle of no where, you will often find someone else’s super charger

There the $350 Korean CCS -> Tesla adapter available that works if your car has CCS compatibility. My 2022 X has CCS compatibility logic. But I would prefer to buy a Tesla branded and warrantied version of the adapter (even if they rebrand the adapter from the Korean company).

It is likely I would never use the adapter. But it would be nice to have the option to charge at other brand DCFCs.

The Korean CCS adapter of which you speak is a Tesla branded adapter. Just right now Tesla only sells it in South Korea. Which is why you need to use one of the proxy services to buy it.

I have one and it came in a Tesla box. If you don’t need now though, it is probably a good idea to wait for them to release it in North America. If nothing else the shipping will be cheaper and you won’t have to pay for the proxy service.

The Korean CCS adapter of which you speak is a Tesla branded adapter. Just right now Tesla only sells it in South Korea. Which is why you need to use one of the proxy services to buy it.

I have one and it came in a Tesla box. If you don’t need now though, it is probably a good idea to wait for them to release it in North America. If nothing else the shipping will be cheaper and you won’t have to pay for the proxy service.
Correct. I have since received my official Tesla Korea CCS1 adapter. Shipping was under 7 days. Later this week I will hope over to the local EA station and give it a try. I don't travel much so I am not sure how often I will use this adapter, but it is nice to have it in the frunk just in case.

An aside from the article a bit, but we have taken 3 long distance trips with our 9 month old Model 3. Why would I even want to mess with any other charging network?We looked out of curiosity at other networks. Difficult to use, requite charge cards, etc. Many were broken and in bad shape. No, at this point the Tesla Supercharging network is a big plus for buying a Tesla.

Reactions: finman100
Every day there is more and more news about new charging stations opening up. Just today Pilot announced that they are adding chargers to 500 0f their rest stops in partnership with GM. As for the Mercedes EQB, I have one on order as well as a MY. The MY has an EDD of March-June, 2023. The EQB is supposed to be here by end of this year. Since Mercedes has the $7500 credit still, after the options I added, it'll be about $8k cheaper. I'm just going to buy which ever one comes in first.

Every day there is more and more news about new charging stations opening up. Just today Pilot announced that they are adding chargers to 500 0f their rest stops in partnership with GM. As for the Mercedes EQB, I have one on order as well as a MY. The MY has an EDD of March-June, 2023. The EQB is supposed to be here by end of this year. Since Mercedes has the $7500 credit still, after the options I added, it'll be about $8k cheaper. I'm just going to buy which ever one comes in first.
I understand the majority of people here are tesla fan and tesla owner (myself included) but I like EQB for its quality, interior and its luxury appearance. Tesla has the advantage over super charging network. Regardless of anyone opinion here, I think Tesla need to add more interior designs, especially that one little screen behind the center console doesn't cut it. We look straight or up at a screen, not look down in an angle like that. Even my kids hate it.

Reactions: Gy2020
I understand the majority of people here are tesla fan and tesla owner (myself included) but I like EQB for its quality, interior and its luxury appearance. Tesla has the advantage over super charging network. Regardless of anyone opinion here, I think Tesla need to add more interior designs, especially that one little screen behind the center console doesn't cut it. We look straight or up at a screen, not look down in an angle like that. Even my kids hate it.
You got the screen in the rear? Wow!...

That’s just sad.
I am not sure it is. You get a great car for a lower price if you do not need the performance. It is the same with Tesla making FSD a purchase for ownership of car for a lot, or just subscribe when you need it option. I don't make long trips very often and might buy FSD for the few trips where I will use of it. Also, if some buys a used car, they can add it.