Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should Tesla be worried about the Mercedes EQS 580 4 Matic ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to the Wall Street Journal Tesla has no cause to worry.
Mercedes loaned a copy to the WSJ whose editor drove it over a winding two lane road in the Swiss Alps "which is famous as one of the great driving roads in Europe" The review is published in Sat.'s WSJ which you car read for yourself. Weighing in at 5,888 pounds , with 516 H P And a 0-60 time of 4.1 seconds, with a price starting at $150,000 and rising to $185,000 the Mercedes if no match for the Tesla in the performance dept. The vehicle is a derivative of the S series which makes it big, pricy and complex, eg. all four wheels turn to help get through a tight turn.

Since Elon canceled my Plaid+ order and still be waiting for my 2 years delayed delivery for my Tesla Roadster, i strongly consider to move the money from my Plaid+ Order to Mercedes EQS. But i fear i have to wait for a possible delivery late into 2022, giving Elon the chance to catch up with the promoted range for the EQS wir a new Model S LR+ with at least equal range.

Performance is not the only feature most people need, in fact I’m sure there are more people who would choose a more luxurious and better built car over performance

I’m one of those people.

Would I buy the Mercedes over a long range? Absolutely not, the price difference is too big. It’s annoying when a new ev comes to the market and Tesla “enthusiasts” point to the performance as to why the Tesla is better .. completely ignoring the many MANY reasons why Tesla is worse.

I really hate the lighting in the EQS and some other luxury features. If it had more of what I'd want, I have no qualms paying for quality. Paying extra for a massage function that I don't want, or a badly implemented voice AI, or even the 6 year old tablet that acts as a 5th passenger screen forces me to a new Tesla because I don't really pay extra for the farts or other stupid *sugar*.

According to the Wall Street Journal Tesla has no cause to worry.
Mercedes loaned a copy to the WSJ whose editor drove it over a winding two lane road in the Swiss Alps "which is famous as one of the great driving roads in Europe" The review is published in Sat.'s WSJ which you car read for yourself. Weighing in at 5,888 pounds , with 516 H P And a 0-60 time of 4.1 seconds, with a price starting at $150,000 and rising to $185,000 the Mercedes if no match for the Tesla in the performance dept. The vehicle is a derivative of the S series which makes it big, pricy and complex, eg. all four wheels turn to help get through a tight turn.
Is this a joke? While some people may enjoy the interior of the MB over Tesla (no accounting for taste) Tesla has nothing to worry about. In every aspect, this is "poor" performing car. Buyers pare paying $150K for the interior.

Reactions: Brando
One thing not to discount is MB customer service. I have a plaid reservation since March with no updates and no idea of when I would get it. Tesla’s customer service is horrible, and I am hopeful that more options with a better customer experience will encourage tesla to get its act together. Considering ordering a Taycan for this very reason.

Reactions: InternetDude
One thing not to discount is MB customer service. I have a plaid reservation since March with no updates and no idea of when I would get it. Tesla’s customer service is horrible, and I am hopeful that more options with a better customer experience will encourage tesla to get its act together. Considering ordering a Taycan for this very reason.
Yup exactly, Tesla customer service is atrocious. My SA never replies to me - I have to send her at least 2 emails until she responds and it'll still take her at least 2 weeks to respond to any of my queries. She called me to give me her phone number and I tried calling once but it said her phone has been disconnected lol.

I'm also in contact with the regional manager since she had to step in, but she also takes 2+ weeks to respond and I barely reach out to either of them. I asked for the exterior to be changed from White to Red and it's taken over 3 weeks to do this (still hasn't changed). I'm a very patient guy but when it takes 3 weeks to simply change the exterior color, it gets a little frustrating, especially when it's supposed to be delivered in August

If I were considering spending $150K on an electric vehicle I would absolutely go with the Mercedes. That is what a luxury vehicle should look and drive like.

Given that $80K is my ceiling, I’m sticking with Tesla. For now.
Ditto here. Ive had 5 Mercedes, one Lexus and a Toyota Sequoia. None of them have had the problems that people are reporting here. Im wondering if I even want a Tesla now.

Ditto here. Ive had 5 Mercedes, one Lexus and a Toyota Sequoia. None of them have had the problems that people are reporting here. Im wondering if I even want a Tesla now.

Trust me, you do. Tesla is still in its infancy stage compared to many legacy automakers. It's going to take some time to get there as far as customer service goes. Having said that, not all SAs are horrible. I talked to 2 SAs in the same delivery center, 3 days apart. The service was night and day. The latter SA helped me out greatly while the first one was a complete ass clown. The same goes for any business in my experience.

I buy the car for the experience anyways and Tesla delivers when it comes to driving and owning the car. Once you get your car, your dissatisfaction with the company melts away.

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando
It's a very solid effort as their first designed from the ground up EV. No question about that. Credit where credit is due

I think it's no surprise the quality of fit and finish is beyond reproach and no Tesla can compete with it.

I just wish they had decided to not make function over form the priority as far as the exterior design is concerned - it looks too much like a frog. Worn bar of soap, turd.

The Audi Etron GT and Porsche Taycan look soooo much better. Even the Plaid (which doesn't look much different from 2012) looks so much better than this.

The complexity of the controls and infinite adjustments makes the car way too complicated.

6000 lbs??? OMG. That's as much as a friggin G Class......

No front trunk - despite that shape.... and only 22 cubic feet under the rear hatch??

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: TxAg81 and Vinny860
Trust me, you do. Tesla is still in its infancy stage compared to many legacy automakers. It's going to take some time to get there as far as customer service goes. Having said that, not all SAs are horrible. I talked to 2 SAs in the same delivery center, 3 days apart. The service was night and day. The latter SA helped me out greatly while the first one was a complete ass clown. The same goes for any business in my experience.

I buy the car for the experience anyways and Tesla delivers when it comes to driving and owning the car. Once you get your car, your dissatisfaction with the company melts away.
You are correct. Ive never seen a more passionate group of owners. Thanks for the encouragement. My delivery date still says July. So I have that going for me.

• Love
Reactions: Vinny860
You are correct. Ive never seen a more passionate group of owners. Thanks for the encouragement. My delivery date still says July. So I have that going for me.

Absolutely! I am also coming from a life long of car purchases from VW, BMW & Porsche. So it's not like I have anything against other auto makers, it's just their vehicles and outdated dealership model doesn't even come close to Tesla. Sounds like you'll find out soon! Does it just say July or is there a specific date listed? If there's a specific date, it means your car is likely en route to the delivery center

Absolutely! I am also coming from a life long of car purchases from VW, BMW & Porsche. So it's not like I have anything against other auto makers, it's just their vehicles and outdated dealership model doesn't even come close to Tesla. Sounds like you'll find out soon! Does it just say July or is there a specific date listed? If there's a specific date, it means your car is likely en route to the delivery center
"July". RN1142. ordered Mid December. LR/Black/White 19"