TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Should Tesla be worried about the Taycan?

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by Bill Price, Aug 12, 2019 at 8:37 AM.

1. Chaserr

Chaserr Member

Thanks! Not a first time EV or Porsche buyer so I know what I'm getting and there should be no surprises. Porsche's charge network is already bigger than Tesla's was back when my Tesla was new too, and dieselgate's settlement terms keep it growing. Not that I supercharge often, especially with the insanely slow supercharger rates lately.

2. StealthP3D

StealthP3D Active Member

The Porche Taycan is potentially a huge threat to Tesla. Because we don't know how the Taycan will handle the heat/cold, how long the traction battery will last (degradation) and whether it will really have the stamina when pressed hard.

If any of these things are found to be lacking, it could give battery-electric vehicles a bad reputation! ;)

Here's to hoping it's as good as Porche has hyped it up to be!

3. TeeEmCee

TeeEmCee Member

At first glance, EA looks ridiculously expensive. My first impression was "eff that, I'm taking the diesel". They do however have that "member pricing" with a $4/mo subscription and their per-minute charging (I believe EA only does per-minute pricing ) involves much higher average charging power for some cars (mine stays flat at around 150kW, until about 80%). If you average that out across the entire 0%-80% session, it's comparable to what you pay for a Model S/X. If you compared to a Model 3 that charged only up to 50% on one of those few-and-far-between-for-now high-power superchargers, then yes, the Model 3 would be considerably cheaper to charge. Otherwise, it's not that different.

4. Krazaak

Krazaak Member

Personally, I think the only failure with Tesla's minimalist interior is lacking voice controls for everything. The screen interface works well when you're stopped, but features buried even one menu deep range from distracting while moving, to cumbersome on anything but smooth pavement. The voice recognition works great for addresses and music, we're way overdue for expanding the voice command set.

If I can "keep summer safe" for sentry mode, I should be able to "raise suspension to high and save at this location" or "lower temperature by 3 degrees".

5. TeeEmCee

TeeEmCee Member

Your signature seems to indicate that you're driving a P85+. Props!
    To me, that was the only Model S worth owning ... truly wonderful to drive!

6. hcdavis3

hcdavis3 HCD3

• Like x 1
  7. Chaserr

Chaserr Member

Everyone interested in or asking about tracking their EV. I bought the Performance + package for that purpose but Tesla couldn't deliver on it.

8. TeeEmCee

TeeEmCee Member

• Like x 1
  9. dk10438

dk10438 Member

I highly doubt that the Taycan will be cheaper than the Tesla. Last I read the MSRP for the base was going to be approximately $80k for the base so to get a car comparable to a Tesla you need to spend another 10k or so for the 4. And anybody who's ever shopped for a Porsche knows that they're underivable without options so I'm going to guess another 15-20k in basic options. So MSRP for an AWD base Taycan is going to be about 100-110k and that's not including the dealer markups that are going to charge. That price gets you into a MS100DL.

10. Chaserr

Chaserr Member

My Tesla was just under $130k. I'll need to add quite a few options to bring the Porsche up $50k but it's possible I may pay the same for both cars.

11. VT_EE

VT_EE Active Member

I guess it’s personal taste, and everyone has their own. I frankly can’t stand the Audi interior after experiencing the slick minimalist interior or the Model 3. It’s just not my taste anymore. If a plush interior is more important to you than range, power, and a unique interior, the e-tron is for you. There is nothing wrong with that at all. The market supports many automakers and that is not going to change. Enjoy!

• Like x 4
  12. Dutchie

Dutchie Active Member

The market begs to differ. Jaguar and Audi have yet to make a dent in the EV market

• Like x 1
  13. SO16

SO16 Active Member

When did you buy your Tesla?

14. headcase

headcase Member

Good to hear. I should have added transparency as the third problem, as that really is the core issue with these 3rd party networks. I should be able to compare prices up front, and not worry what my total bill is afterwards.

15. TeeEmCee

TeeEmCee Member

I understand that "only one less second" does not begin to describe the difference between doing 0-60 in 2.5 sec vs 3.5 sec but, if I may ask, how many people out there want to constantly peel off quicker than 3.5 sec, on the street?

Giving up pretty much everything else in order to accelerate ludicrously fast as opposed to just stupid fast ... I wonder how many will make that choice when given the option. Even in my neck of the woods (Texas: you go straight, turn 90 deg. and then you go straight again), that may not be a compelling advantage. I assume that a spirited drive on PCH would make the choice a lot more obvious.

Alright, back to work so I can at some point afford one of each as opposed to sit here arguing which one is better without owning either. :)

16. TeeEmCee

TeeEmCee Member

At least the Tesla shuts the F up when it cannot process a voice command. The Audi proceeds to tell you about all kinds of utterly unrelated options and goes on and on ... not good for one's heart health. :)

• Funny x 1
  17. Chaserr

Chaserr Member

• Informative x 1
  18. Krazaak

Krazaak Member

That's why I'm so disappointed that the Tesla doesn't have more voice command options. Their voice recognition is amazing, although it's obviously enhanced by being able to do an internet search to refine the results. I just picked up a 2015 BMW i8 as a fun car and tried to use the voice navigation exactly two times before I decided never to bother again. Even following the stringent formatting requirements to enter an address via voice, it resulted in two absurdly inaccurate destinations states away. Fair comparison, it's a year older, but upgraded maps and it can't hold a candle to my 2016 Model X for navigation and media.

That and my Tesla seems cheery while guiding me to my destination. The BMW seems faintly irritated that I've asked it to navigate and perhaps a little bored when notifying me of an upcoming turn.

• Funny x 1
  19. TeeEmCee

TeeEmCee Member

They must have then used the same prison warden voice as in my older Audis.

20. golfnut

golfnut Member

They shouldn't worry, and they aren't. The more the merrier. Tesla's plan was to help start the conversion from all gas powered cars and this competition will only help the cause. Tesla is probably more worried about getting more and more people into EVs period, whatever the company makes it.