TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Should Tesla change the wording of its Collision Avoidance feature

Discussion in 'Model S' started by AMPd, Jul 21, 2018.

1. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

My brother owns a trucking company and they just received a new batch of Volvo trucks. One of the new features is a camera and radar based Collision Mitigation System.
    The truck will not completely avoid a collision but it will brake on its own to lessen the impact.

I think the wording of that is much better, I’ve seen threads with people being disappointed with Teslas Collision Avoidance feature because they thought it was supposed to prevent that collision.

Changing the word Avoidance to Mitigation would give people a different mind set in my opinion

• Like x 3
  2. caligula666

caligula666 Member

For sure. But then, I’d argue all features are currently a misnomer today. It will get interesting how “some features” of FSD will be spun when it gets released i.e. “some” of “full” remains a L2 afaict, would love to see a L3 in some context but I’m afraid this will remain a L2 (aka “monkey sitting on your laps”)

3. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

We were driving on a two lane highway last weekend.

As we were going through a series of curves, we encountered an 18 wheeler driving at high speeds, cutting the corners of the curves, driving mostly on our side of the highway - without any shoulder.

Even if there was collision avoidance or EAP/FSD was programmed to handle this - not sure I would have trusted the software to avoid a high-speed head-on collision on a narrow road...

Fortunately the 18 wheeler was able to swerve back into the other lane enough to allow us to squeeze by in our lane.

Instances like this are a good reminder of how far we are from getting Full Self Driving to handle unusual driving situations...

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  4. .jg.

.jg. Member

I don't think "Collision Avoidance" implies that a car will never have a collision, in the same way that someone in a tax avoidance scheme would still have to pay some taxes. Whatever these driver aids are called and regardless of warnings of their limitations in manuals, some folk still manage to miss the point.

• Like x 1
  5. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

If someone engages in a tax avoidance scheme and still ends up paying taxes then they are not engaging in a tax avoidance scheme.

• Funny x 1
  6. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

But then it’s just a tax mitigation scheme and that just sounds like how my goodwill receipts always make it sound like I’m donating garbage bags of designer clothing (oops I hope the IRS isn’t listening)

7. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Refresh my memory. Where do you see Tesla using the word Avoidance?

8. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

You’re right. I just checked the site and they don’t mention collision avoidance.
    Everyone else using it, I thought it was an official term from tesla.

Well, thread over.

9. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I tried to edit but forum threw up a blocked error. Weird.

My recollection was that they've used the word Mitigation already (and that's the phrase I've been using for years for test rides). I took a long at the Owner's Manual (from my account info for the P100D) and page 92 is titled "Collision Avoidance Assist".

The phrasing "Collision Avoidance features" is used on page 94.

The features themselves (Forward Collision Warning, Automatic Emergency Braking, Pedal Misapplication Mitigation) are fine I think.

I concur with your premise that the Mitigation naming should be used instead of Avoidance.

• Informative x 1
  10. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

I definitely prefer the accuracy of Collision Mitigation as it's all encompassing.

Tesla does use the language crash mitigation when they talk about their emergency automatic braking system.

In the settings page they use Collision Avoidance Assist.

11. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

Lexus has the pre-collision system which at first glance sounds like it prepares you for a crash haha.

• Funny x 1
  12. .jg.

.jg. Member

That's my point though: tax avoidance helps people reduce their taxes. If they are paying no tax, it is more likely tax evasion.

13. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Oxford Dictionary definition of Avoidance
    -The action of keeping away from or not doing something.

So again, if you’re paying taxes, how are you avoiding paying taxes?

14. Barklikeadog

Barklikeadog Active Member

Perhaps it shouldn't be called FSD until it actually is FSD.

15. .jg.

.jg. Member

Tax avoidance helps you avoid paying some taxes, collision avoidance helps you avoid some collisions. Avoiding someone who annoys you doesn't guarantee that you will never meet them. The act of avoiding some event does not guarantee success - the feared event may still occur.