Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should Tesla decide what you can or can not do with your car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To those who are getting worked up about this, I would like to pose this question: how do you propose it would actually work to use an autonomous Tesla to drive for Uber? As it stands now, you have to be there to accept the fare in the Uber app, indicate you've picked up the client, and then that you've dropped them off. Unless Tesla were to implement Uber integration into it's in-car software, I don't see how this could be done without the owner/driver of the car being present.

You can still use your Tesla to drive for Uber, but you can't use the autonomous software to drive for Uber for you. Even if Tesla hadn't put that bit of fine print in, I honestly don't see how to get past that logistical hurdle.

Reactions: jdw
Most software ToS exclude commercial use for consumer contracts. Many products void warranties for commercial use.

This is a contentious enough area for liability without the additional layer of the buyer reselling the service.

It seems completely fair. As other people have commented, there will eventually be more open stacks of suppliers. Tesla is the Apple iPhone of self driving and vertically integrated.

I think for cars even more people will want the polished system that just works.