Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should Tesla do something about my degradation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I own a 2013 Models S 60 (EPA rated range 208) purchased in September of 2018. After taking delivery I charged to 100% and the rated range was 177 miles. I brought this to Tesla's attention immediately and the response was "it's normal". Now, a year and a half later it gets 160 rated miles to a 100% charge. This is slightly over 100 real world miles on the highway at 70 mph.

Of course I brought this to the attention of my local SC, who's manger said "sorry, we don't warranty degradation on 2013 vehicles". I then asked them to work with me on a pack replacement and offered $5k out of my pocket towards the swap. I was told "No, we don't do that. You'll have to pay full retail price which is $12,500 plus freight and labor."

I then asked if the could work with me to help trade me out of it and get me into another car. You know, maybe offer a bit more than market value to get an unhappy customer out of their car that is obviously heavily degraded. I was told no, go to the website for your trade value. That number was $18k, which is HALF of what I paid Tesla for the car 18 months ago.

I am livid with Tesla and their incompetent, incapable, uncaring customer service. Should I be? Am I wrong on this?

This is how Tesla treats its custumers post-sale. It is also the reason I will never buy another vehicle from them.

People bemoan the idea of a "car salesperson" and the dealership model, but when I walk into BMW they are always ready to work with me.

Tesla capped my battery and supercharging speeds. All I wanted was to trade up to a newer vehicle with them. They refused to work with me and referred me to their Legal team. Instead of giving them more of my money and keeping me happy, I am now party to a class action lawsuit against them. Great business strategy.

I am livid with Tesla and their incompetent, incapable, uncaring customer service. Should I be? Am I wrong on this?

Why would Tesla owe you the favor of giving you a discount just because you are unhappy with what you bought?

Even under the newer warranty, that does cover degradation, you still wouldn't get anything yet because your degradation is only ~23% and the warranty doesn't cover until it is past 30%.

I'm sure the service people would love to be able to help you, but the warranty, and company policy, doesn't allow them to. I don't see that as incompetent or incapable.

Why would Tesla owe you the favor of giving you a discount just because you are unhappy with what you bought?

Even under the newer warranty, that does cover degradation, you still wouldn't get anything yet because your degradation is only ~23% and the warranty doesn't cover until it is past 30%.

I'm sure the service people would love to be able to help you, but the warranty, and company policy, doesn't allow them to. I don't see that as incompetent or incapable.
Company policy should involve customer retention and keeping the customer happy.

Are you suggesting the 7% difference in degradation is worth burning a relationship over? Also, OP is not subject to the "new" warranty terms.

Are you suggesting the 7% difference in degradation is worth burning a relationship over?

You have to draw the line somewhere. If they started making concessions at 23% then somebody with 22% would say "is 1% worth burning a relationship over"...

Also, OP is not subject to the "new" warranty terms.

Yep, I was just pointing out that even under the new warranty, that covers degradation, he still wouldn't get anything yet.

I hear what you are saying Mike and you have a valid point but most businesses will do quite a lot to accommodate or at least try to accommodate an unhappy customer. I didn't go to them crying and screaming when I realized I had 23% degradation, I asked them to work with me to find a mutually acceptable solution that involved me spending $5k for my "fair share". It's been put crystal clear to me that Tesla simply doesn't care, pissed off customer or not, which is their prerogative.

This is how Tesla treats its custumers post-sale. It is also the reason I will never buy another vehicle from them.

People bemoan the idea of a "car salesperson" and the dealership model, but when I walk into BMW they are always ready to work with me.

Tesla capped my battery and supercharging speeds. All I wanted was to trade up to a newer vehicle with them. They refused to work with me and referred me to their Legal team. Instead of giving them more of my money and keeping me happy, I am now party to a class action lawsuit against them. Great business strategy.
Wow. That's a shame. Yes, I think in their effort to distance themselves from the "dealership model" they have really turned some people off with their cold and obtuse stance towards service after the sale.

Wow. That's a shame. Yes, I think in their effort to distance themselves from the "dealership model" they have really turned some people off with their cold and obtuse stance towards service after the sale.
Have you confirmed they have not capped your 60 battery or limited it's supercharging? My understanding is all 60 and 85 packs are potentially impacted. What you are experiencing may not be "degradation" at all, but rather Tesla artificially crippling your pack.

If they don't want to work with you, fine. The courts will eventually be mandating they make you whole.

Check out the 500+ page thread in this forum around battery gate/chargegate.

I own a 2013 Models S 60 (EPA rated range 208) purchased in September of 2018. After taking delivery I charged to 100% and the rated range was 177 miles. I brought this to Tesla's attention immediately and the response was "it's normal". Now, a year and a half later it gets 160 rated miles to a 100% charge. This is slightly over 100 real world miles on the highway at 70 mph.

Of course I brought this to the attention of my local SC, who's manger said "sorry, we don't warranty degradation on 2013 vehicles". I then asked them to work with me on a pack replacement and offered $5k out of my pocket towards the swap. I was told "No, we don't do that. You'll have to pay full retail price which is $12,500 plus freight and labor."

I then asked if the could work with me to help trade me out of it and get me into another car. You know, maybe offer a bit more than market value to get an unhappy customer out of their car that is obviously heavily degraded. I was told no, go to the website for your trade value. That number was $18k, which is HALF of what I paid Tesla for the car 18 months ago.

come on now, your car is 7 years old and you are trying to work some serious angles with the manufacturer? you are not the customer they want tbh.

also.. you bought a 2013 S 60 in 2018 for $32,000!?!?

• Disagree
Reactions: gaswalla and glide

You bought an old car with a small battery. What were you expecting?

Am I wrong to think the 30% is only applicable to M3 only?

Psnyc73, sorry to see about your 24% battery degradation. I am curious to know what charge level did you charge to on average? Was it to 90% or higher? Also, did you keep your battery in a low state of charge frequently (when not connected or you couldn't connect to your charging cable)?

Keeping your battery very low frequently (near or below 10%) or very high (close to 100%) can accelerate battery degradation. It's recommended to stay within 20 - 80%.

come on now, your car is 7 years old and you are trying to work some serious angles with the manufacturer? you are not the customer they want tbh.

also.. you bought a 2013 S 60 in 2018 for $32,000!?!?
Tesla should want any customer. Last I heard on this forum, they were a startup and we should be cutting them slack for poor quality fit and finish and lack of QC/customer service.

Reactions: InternetDude
Psnyc73, sorry to see about your 24% battery degradation. I am curious to know what charge level did you charge to on average? Was it to 90% or higher? Also, did you keep your battery in a low state of charge frequently (when not connected or you couldn't connect to your charging cable)?

Keeping your battery very low frequently (near or below 10%) or very high (close to 100%) can accelerate battery degradation. It's recommended to stay within 20 - 80%.
Thank you. I was prepared for 10% degradation but 15% out of the gate and 23% now is just crazy. I charge in my garage on a 110 outlet, usually to 80-90%. It very rarely gets to a low state. I rarely supercharge, as there are no superchargers in my area yet. Interestingly, my car had never been supercharged prior to me owning it. I know this because after I drove away from my delivery and arrived at the supercharger a couple hours later I received the error message "supercharging not enabled". The original owner never paid to have the upgrade. That was a fun experience in the middle of nowhere at 11:00 at night with 17 miles remaining! :)

Last edited: