Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should Tesla do something about my degradation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your and OP's situation are perfect examples of why every Model S/X/Y customer—even for brand new vehicles—should insist on seeing the displayed range at 100%. Even brand new Tesla vehicles are not displaying the advertised EPA range estimates at 100% SOC. Tesla is getting away with murder here. I simply cannot fathom how anyone buys a Tesla without first checking to make sure the battery—arguably the highest priced component of the car—is actually performing as advertised.

I urge every Tesla customer to insist on seeing the displayed range at 100% or decline delivery. Tesla will try to tell you that it's "dependent on driving habits", which is a total lie and you can catch them in the lie. After they say it, point them to their own FAQs on the topic:

Range Tips

"Displayed range is based on regulating agency certification (EPA) and is not adapted based on driving pattern."
Well, I read recently when they compared the range of both MS and Porsche Taycan and their conclusion is Porsche under stated their range while Tesla over stated theirs. They went on to say EPA didn’t really tested the cars but relied on manufacturers to provide certain parameters for.

Of course, I have no means to verify said statement and yet, at the same time, there’s a few video on YouTube where people actually tested their own Taycan and got close to 300 miles. I do understand however that’s dependent on how you drive together with other factors.

My disappointment with Tesla Is the way they conduct business.

That particular “ dependent on driving habits” statement was added as a disclaimer to the used car ad, if my memory served me, to the EPA number right after we filed our lawsuit. That disclaimer was not stated when we bought ours.

We really had high hopes for Tesla since, finally, here’s an American car company that’s way ahead of everybody else and we were proud to be an owner. Sadly, that pride had turned into a grave let-down. Not just the way they treated us but also the way Musk ‘manipulated’ market by pushing ‘Junks’ out there door just to meet their goal numbers. Who cares about the customers, right?
There’s always new blood coming in.

‘Shame.

Reactions: glide
Well, I read recently when they compared the range of both MS and Porsche Taycan and their conclusion is Porsche under stated their range while Tesla over stated theirs. They went on to say EPA didn’t really tested the cars but relied on manufacturers to provide certain parameters for.

Of course, I have no means to verify said statement and yet, at the same time, there’s a few video on YouTube where people actually tested their own Taycan and got close to 300 miles. I do understand however that’s dependent on how you drive together with other factors.

My disappointment with Tesla Is the way they conduct business.

That particular “ dependent on driving habits” statement was added as a disclaimer to the used car ad, if my memory served me, to the EPA number right after we filed our lawsuit. That disclaimer was not stated when we bought ours.

We really had high hopes for Tesla since, finally, here’s an American car company that’s way ahead of everybody else and we were proud to be an owner. Sadly, that pride had turned into a grave let-down. Not just the way they treated us but also the way Musk ‘manipulated’ market by pushing ‘Junks’ out there door just to meet their goal numbers. Who cares about the customers, right?
There’s always new blood coming in.

‘Shame.
Can you provide the name of your case?

FWIW, it’s the principle of the whole situation that compelled us to do so.
The money really means nothing to us.

We’ve been trying to work with them since Day 1 and they kept ignoring our calls for help.
It’s just our luck Jon McNeil (sp) left his post right at that time so everything just went downhill.
I still remember the times he frequented this forum where he took care of problems as it should be.

Concerning the rated range, I don’t believe any 1st buyer would know and think of asking them to charge to 100% right then and there.
They rushed you through the whole process (it took about 30-45min for us) so asking them to spend another 45-60min with you is not possible.

It was the first thing I checked when I bought mine new which was delivered, unfortunately, charged to 100% when I didn't need the full charge.

Best thing whenever buying ANY car used is to hit the forums and ask the old timers what the list of things are that you should check. Doesn't apply to just EVs.

To check rated range without charging to 100%:

Rated Range at 100% = Current Displayed Rated range / SOC% / 100.

For you and OP,
Make sure you send in the paperwork to opt out of Tesla’s arbitration clause immediately if you are within the window and haven’t already.

That’s the best advice I can give a new Tesla owner.
Hey @rxlawdude

Want to tell the community why you don’t believe owners should opt out of Tesla’s ridiculous arbitration clause?

Is it because you work there? I can’t see any other reason why you would personally want owners bound to arbitration.

Hey @rxlawdude

Want to tell the community why you don’t believe owners should opt out of Tesla’s ridiculous arbitration clause?

Is it because you work there? I can’t see any other reason why you would personally want owners bound to arbitration.
Did he say such thing somewhere?

Just want to know since, according to his screen name, he’s a lawyer then he should know better.

Did he say such thing somewhere?

Just want to know since, according to his screen name, he’s a lawyer then he should know better.
Guys, I teach law and ethics to graduate students. I do not practice law outside of a very narrow subject area that wouldn't interest you.

As for mandatory arbitration agreements, they are anti-consumer and only benefit the businesses that pay for the arbitrator (and guess what future business the arbitrator gets if he rules against the company?). But class action lawsuits only produce one winner: the class attorney. Actual class members virtually never get the extent of their losses, and receive absolutely less than had they gone to small claims court (as the Tesla-customer agreement allows).

But sure, you don't care about getting money from the class action. But your lawyer sure does!!!

Reactions: VT_EE
Guys, I teach law and ethics to graduate students. I do not practice law outside of a very narrow subject area that wouldn't interest you.

As for mandatory arbitration agreements, they are anti-consumer and only benefit the businesses that pay for the arbitrator (and guess what future business the arbitrator gets if he rules against the company?). But class action lawsuits only produce one winner: the class attorney. Actual class members virtually never get the extent of their losses, and receive absolutely less than had they gone to small claims court (as the Tesla-customer agreement allows).

But sure, you don't care about getting money from the class action. But your lawyer sure does!!!
I can’t disagree with these.