Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should Tesla do something about my degradation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You guys are being rude to him for no reason. The situation he is in sucks. Yeah he doesn’t have any warranty and Tesla doesn’t have to do anything. However when the Model S first came out there were claims of 80% plus life left on cells after a Million miles!!!! You guys remember those articles? So people have different expectations than what the warranty has. I know if my car had 24% degradation I would be extremely upset.

Tesla won’t give you anything though and you can’t force them. Wise up and don’t buy another Tesla. I know I won’t be buying another after what they did to our 2015 85(battery gate and charge gate). I kept thinking they would make it right but it’s clear they won’t. So we cancelled two Model Y preorders and will look to more mature car companies that don’t steal back performance via updates.

You guys are being rude to him for no reason. The situation he is in sucks. Yeah he doesn’t have any warranty and Tesla doesn’t have to do anything. However when the Model S first came out there were claims of 80% plus life left on cells after a Million miles!!!! You guys remember those articles? So people have different expectations than what the warranty has. I know if my car had 24% degradation I would be extremely upset.
He is being naive and entitled. He should have known that he was buying an old car with reduced battery capacity and no warranty.
Tesla never promised a million mile battery... Certainly not in 2013.

Are the battery gate and charge gate people being naive and entitled too? For all we know the degradation isn’t real but a voltage cap put on by Tesla.

Tesla Model S Battery Life: How Much Range Loss For Electric Car Over Time?

Tesla battery degradation at less than 10% after over 160,000 miles, according to latest data - Electrek

I am talking about articles like these. It’s not officially sanctioned by Tesla but that’s the language that’s been floating around on the internet. People read that and that’s their expectation. Then reality hits about owning an older Tesla out of warranty.

The people that buy older Tesla’s (I’m not saying anything about OPs financial situation) might be stretching to buy the older used car. Okay maybe they didn’t do their research on what could go wrong but the Tesla fans are always giving impressions of the cars that are more positive than reality. You have to show some sympathy for people in difficult situations.

Were these warranty terms somehow unclear to you when you bought the car? Did Tesla mislead you somehow? Because from my perspective the terms and conditions are quite clear. What are you confused about?
I will be the first to admit I should have done more research before I purchased. It was my first Tesla and I was tired of waiting for my model 3 that I had a reservation for and I jumped on this car when I found it. Instead of relying on information from local Tesla owners regarding degradation, I should have spent a few days digging in to forums like this one.

That being said, I do believe my car's degradation to be out of the norm. I am not happy about it and I've repeatedly asked Tesla to work with me to resolve the issue, to which they have said "tough *sugar*" on every front. Are they obligated to do anything about it? No. Should they do something about it? In my mind, being in sales my entire life, the answer is a clear yes. SOMETHING...anything....any sort of concern and concession would go a long way.

It's not so much the car and the degradation that bothers me as it is the policy, which is pretty terrible for customer retention. But hey, if that's how Tesla wants to operate that's their prerogative but one pissed off customer can do a lot more damage than 100 satisfied ones can heal.

Are the battery gate and charge gate people being naive and entitled too? For all we know the degradation isn’t real but a voltage cap put on by Tesla.

Tesla Model S Battery Life: How Much Range Loss For Electric Car Over Time?

Tesla battery degradation at less than 10% after over 160,000 miles, according to latest data - Electrek

I am talking about articles like these. It’s not officially sanctioned by Tesla but that’s the language that’s been floating around on the internet. People read that and that’s their expectation. Then reality hits about owning an older Tesla out of warranty.

The people that buy older Tesla’s (I’m not saying anything about OPs financial situation) might be stretching to buy the older used car. Okay maybe they didn’t do their research on what could go wrong but the Tesla fans are always giving impressions of the cars that are more positive than reality. You have to show some sympathy for people in difficult situations.
I don't mind saying my budget was $35k. I was a Model 3 reservation holder for a long time but the base variant was not coming anytime soon....and I really wanted an S but didn't think I could afford one until I found this car. I had 10% degradation in my head as the worst case scenario going in. I was wrong.

Thank you. I was prepared for 10% degradation but 15% out of the gate and 23% now is just crazy. I charge in my garage on a 110 outlet, usually to 80-90%. It very rarely gets to a low state. I rarely supercharge, as there are no superchargers in my area yet. Interestingly, my car had never been supercharged prior to me owning it. I know this because after I drove away from my delivery and arrived at the supercharger a couple hours later I received the error message "supercharging not enabled". The original owner never paid to have the upgrade. That was a fun experience in the middle of nowhere at 11:00 at night with 17 miles remaining! :)
He is being naive and entitled. He should have known that he was buying an old car with reduced battery capacity and no warranty.
Tesla never promised a million mile battery... Certainly not in 2013.
He’s not naive and entitled as far as I am concerned.
It’s his first Tesla and I am pretty sure he was excited to become a Tesla owner, just like we were.
The main point here is Tesla should have tested the car to find out the range, plus or minus a few miles, then state as such.
A potential buyer can either accept as is, range wise, or not.
This way, there would be no confusion and/or mistrust between the 2 parties.

He’s not naive and entitled as far as I am concerned.
It’s his first Tesla and I am pretty sure he was excited to become a Tesla owner, just like we were.
The main point here is Tesla should have tested the car to find out the range, plus or minus a few miles, then state as such.
A potential buyer can either accept as is, range wise, or not.
This way, there would be no confusion and/or mistrust between the 2 parties.
While I don’t disagree that Tesla could “fix” a lot of this by disclosing the 100% charge in their used car listings, I think that’s a little bit easier said than done.

Also, there’s got to be a bit of caveat emptor and personal responsibility here. I can’t imagine ever buying a used extremely early production EV without understanding the warranty inside and out and the current state of the battery BEFORE I signed the contract.

While I don’t disagree that Tesla could “fix” a lot of this by disclosing the 100% charge in their used car listings, I think that’s a little bit easier said than done.

Also, there’s got to be a bit of caveat emptor and personal responsibility here. I can’t imagine ever buying a used extremely early production EV without understanding the warranty inside and out and the current state of the battery BEFORE I signed the contract.
I don’t disagree with you re personal responsibility.
Having said that, hindsight is 2020.

Concerning the range, it’s actually quite simple.
All Tesla needed to do after taking in a trade is to charge it to either 90% or 100% to find out.

If the battery was covered by a warranty (it's not), it would only be for >30% within 8 years. He's 7 years now and his anecdotal testing shows 23% loss. So, this is normal.
I do find it interesting that he can buy a new battery for $12,500. I thought they were more expensive. Might be a good investment if he can't live with his current range.

Valid points. As stated earlier in the thread I made some mistakes when buying the car. My whole purchase experience was a disaster worthy of it's own thread :) But I do want to also mention again that I went to Tesla with $5k in hand to try and broker a resolution. It's not like I was screaming gimme, gimme, free free free.

This is how Tesla treats its custumers post-sale. It is also the reason I will never buy another vehicle from them.
Yet here you are. WHY??? And a class member suing Tesla. You clearly are bringing no valuable information to the table (maybe you should share more with your class counsel). Again, for what legitimate purpose are you doing here other than to bitch?????

Last edited:
Thank you. I was prepared for 10% degradation but 15% out of the gate and 23% now is just crazy. I charge in my garage on a 110 outlet, usually to 80-90%. It very rarely gets to a low state. I rarely supercharge, as there are no superchargers in my area yet. Interestingly, my car had never been supercharged prior to me owning it. I know this because after I drove away from my delivery and arrived at the supercharger a couple hours later I received the error message "supercharging not enabled". The original owner never paid to have the upgrade. That was a fun experience in the middle of nowhere at 11:00 at night with 17 miles remaining! :)
Part of your problem is you never let the car get low enough for the BMS to accurately determine range. You should try letting it get down to 20% or so before charging to 90%. Do this a number of times to help calibrate the BMS. There are a number of examples on TMC where this has resulted in increased range.

Reactions: psnyc73 and mspohr
Yet here you are. WHY??? And a class member suing Tesla. You clearly are bringing no valuable information to the table (maybe you should share more with your class counsel). Again, for what legitimate purpose are you doing here other than to bitch?????
Helping others understand their options for when a company steals from them?

And also to stay current on when my check from Elon is coming.

I am an owner and an investor. So please enlighten me as to why I don’t have a right to be here.

But I do want to also mention again that I went to Tesla with $5k in hand to try and broker a resolution. It's not like I was screaming gimme, gimme, free free free.

But you do think that Tesla owes you ~$10k since you are only willing to pay $5k toward a battery replacement that will cost ~$15k. (That does sound like "gimme, gimme, gimme" to me.)

• Disagree
Reactions: InternetDude