TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Should Tesla have kept the '+' moniker for the P85D?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Seesaw, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Seesaw

Seesaw Member

The release of the dual drive looks amazing, just one little thing bothers me.

With the P85D replacing the P85+, I feel that the name undersells the level of performance that this new car has.

On the S60 and S85 the addition of the D effectively means a $4000 upgrade to AWD with fairly similar performance to the RWD models.

But on the P85 the D just doesn't mean AWD, it a $14,600 upgrade that means suspension/handling improvements, staggered wheels, Recaro seats, brake upgrade and 691 HP making it the fastest production 4 door in the history of the planet.

I feel they should of called it the P85D+, minor issue but the + moniker could of become an excellent sub-brand to signify the top performance model in other upcoming future Tesla cars.

2. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

new business idea: start manufacturing '+' emblems and sell them for $10 a pop to all new P85D owners.

3. Shumdit

Shumdit Member

Even better: Start making "D" emblems and sell them to P85 and P85+ owners for $10 a pop.

4. pzz

pzz Banned

I personally think not many people bought the + option and that's why Tesla eliminated it.

5. Shumdit

Shumdit Member

I am not sure. I have one and it seems like I see a lot of others with them as well.

6. green1

green1 Active Member

Actually if you look more closely, they just bundled the + option in with the dual motors on the P85D, the D upgrade is $4000 for the S60 and S85, but $15000 for the P85, in the notes it indicates that it includes all the fancy performance stuff that used to be + specific.

The + didn't go away, it's just bundled with AWD.

7. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

I took all my badging off. I like the look better anyway and don't care that others know what I have!

8. Oreo

Oreo Member

Lloyd, same here, and I also got the +

9. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

I was hoping for "P85D+ doubleplusgood" badging!

My car came without 85 badging. I declined multiple offers to put it on. I would have taken it off.

10. Haggy

Haggy Member

I'd like a lower case A to indicate autopilot, not that it isn't obvious. The big real world concern is that it's not obvious from the VIN. It will be for 2015 and above, but there will be 2014 cars with and without it. I would hope that insurance rates would be lower for cars that avoid smashing into things. But my insurance company won't know the difference.

11. redi

redi 2013 P85+ with HumanPilot Technology

I've looked and have not found it, but does the P85D retain the same + staggered wheels/tires?

12. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

No.
    P = Peformance. More powerful motors/inverters. <= Relevant
    D = Dual motor. Dual motor AWD. <= Relevant

- - - Updated - - -

Yes. In fact, somebody wrote that the rears are wider.

13. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Where I was raised a D+ might get you a red rear end.

14. SlyWombat

SlyWombat Member

There is still room for them to release a + model. They might be able to replace the front 221hp with the 376hp on the base model to give a total 846hp :), but then again the 'plus' size models imply a bigger model (thanks apple!), so maybe the X is just a + :)

15. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Where I went to college "D equals DONE!".

16. mhpr262

mhpr262 Member

Good thing they got rid of the +.
    A badge that included letters, numbers AND symbols looked weird.

What I would like to see: The "MODEL S" badge on the left hand side in proper T≡SLA font. Somehow the current font doesn't seem to fit at all.

17. CarlK

CarlK Member

Yes Tesla should make the "+" the highest performance sub-brand like M or AMG but then you'll see people buying the badge and put on their Honda Civic's

18. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Yah, my parents (and I) had higher goals. ;)

19. Bighorn

Bighorn Member

The $4K upgrade requires you to give up your bigger 380 HP motor, while the $14K upgrade does not. So it's apples and oranges until you know the actual cost of the smaller motor.

20. gocken2

gocken2 Model S: P6931

I am pretty sure that they only have one motor for the rear and a separate about 1/2 power motor for the front. The difference in power is probably in the inverter(s), components, and software.