Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should Tesla have kept the '+' moniker for the P85D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The $4K upgrade requires you to give up your bigger 380 HP motor, while the $14K upgrade does not. So it's apples and oranges until you know the actual cost of the smaller motor.

376 isn't that much below 380, and more than made up for by the increase in range, top speed, and acceleration. More relevant, to this discussion however is that it specifically states that it includes suspension upgrades on the p85d, which is exactly what the plus used to be.

My take on the + designation is they should have kept what was supposed to have been the features of the + package. They should have had a P85D and a P85D+ so that you are not forced to get low profile tires if you live in an area where they are not practical...

My take on the + designation is they should have kept what was supposed to have been the features of the + package. They should have had a P85D and a P85D+ so that you are not forced to get low profile tires if you live in an area where they are not practical...
I agree, It's not the plus they removed on the D cars, it's the non-plus that's no longer an option if you want the AWD the D and the plus are bundled together on the p85, and I think a lot of people wish they were 2 separate things. Before the D unveiling I thought my ideal Tesla would be a p85 without the plus. All the speed and power, none of the rough ride and bent rims.... Now I can't decide if I prefer the 85d or the p85d because there are obvious trade offs either way.

I agree, the D and the plus are bundled together on the p85, and I think a lot of people wish they were 2 separate things. Before the D unveiling I thought my ideal Tesla would be a p85 without the plus. All the speed and power, none of the rough ride and bent rims.... Now I can't decide if is prefer the 85d or the p85d because there are obvious trade offs either way.

The problem with the 85D is that it is really not an "upgrade" for us since we already drive a 550i with similar acceleration. We really want something noticeably faster and IMHO Tesla released AWD for the north eastern holdouts who wanted AWD but they are the same people with badly maintained roads and the low profile tires are an awful choice. So now we have AWD but tires completely unsuitable for the NY, Boston, and DC roads. We went through 3 tire replacements with our last car with low profile tires and we said never again. We had no idea how unpractical low profile tires are before that experience.

Is there someone we can contact as Tesla t implore them to offer the P85D with regular profile durable tires?

I agree, there really should be a P85D and a P85D+ to parallel the old P85 and P85+ trim lines.

I would likely trade up to a P85D. Don't think I'd need/want a P85D+. And I don't want to downgrade to a 85D.

So I decided to just enjoy my P85+ for another year or two until the next big thing (bigger battery.. :) ).

The problem with the 85D is that it is really not an "upgrade" for us since we already drive a 550i with similar acceleration.

Uh, BMW 550i is around 4.5 seconds 0-60. P85 is already around 4.2; P85D 3.2. This is like a night and day difference from a 550i. I drove an M5 before my P85+ and the acceleration feels MUCH quicker in the P85+. The P85D adds another 250hp or so. Just sayin'.

Uh, BMW 550i is around 4.5 seconds 0-60. P85 is already around 4.2; P85D 3.2. This is like a night and day difference from a 550i. I drove an M5 before my P85+ and the acceleration feels MUCH quicker in the P85+. The P85D adds another 250hp or so. Just sayin'.
The plain vanilla 85D is only a 5 second car though since they take away the big motor and split it into two smaller ones.

Uh, I'm obviously not that clueless and you just misunderstood me. I never compared my current car to a P85. Someone suggested I look into an S85D (without the P) and that's what I said (regular 85D) was comparable somewhat to what we currently drive.

I have nothing against people who appreciate low profile tires -- just that based on my experience it is idiotic to have them in the NYC area where we do most of our driving based on our past experience with low profile tires. They really should have had a P85D+ for people like you and a regular P85D with more durable tires for people like us who live in urban cities with badly maintained roads. At the least there should be an option to configure a P85D with regular profile more durable tires. Right now it seems to be a complete waste to order a P85D with the 21" tires we know are a very bad idea for our roads here.

The P85+ option makes sense but I disagree on the P85D+. I think with the extreme performance of the P85D it would be unsafe to put anything but the best possible suspension on it. In other words, a P85D without the + handling upgrades would be unsafe and silly to produce.

The plain vanilla 85D is only a 5 second car though since they take away the big motor and split it into two smaller ones.

Thank you Bighorn! This is what I said when I mentioned the 85D would likely be similar to the 550i we own... I really think they made too much (2 seconds) of a gap between the 85D and the P85D. This is why many here are upset with being forced to pay for low profile tires we don't want.

So the 85D does 0-60 in 5.2, and they should have had a P85D do 60 in 4 seconds and the P85D+ do 60 in 3.2 seconds. This way they could have sold the P85D with regular profile tires as they did with the P85 for those of us who live in cities with badly maintained roads while still leaving the super car option with low profile tires who really want to buy a P85D+. I never really cared for the "plus" option at all as we are not in the habit of racing on a track and simply want a very very fast car. It just seems these unpractical tires are now forced on people who don't want them.

What was the difference in hp between the P85 and P85+?
Nothing. the difference was entirely in the suspension setup. Which is now listed as included in the P85D.

I was surprised to see they dropped the + from the options line up. Still excited to get the P85D and blast by every sports car on the road, no matter what they are calling it.
They didn't drop the +, they made it mandatory on the P85D

The P85+ option makes sense but I disagree on the P85D+. I think with the extreme performance of the P85D it would be unsafe to put anything but the best possible suspension on it. In other words, a P85D without the + handling upgrades would be unsafe and silly to produce.

They should have then just had a regular P85D that goes to 60 in about 4 seconds with durable regular profile tires and a more comfortable ride. That I bet would satisfy the needs of the majority of customers like us who are looking for an extremely fast (faster than a regular 85D) but very comfortable and practical EV.

I still think they should have continued the "+" concept as a separate car as there are two markets here: The hard core performance enthusiasts and people like us who want a fast and comfortable rocket ship on wheels with durable tires for NYC streets...

They should have then just had a regular P85D that goes to 60 in about 4 seconds with durable regular profile tires and a more comfortable ride. That I bet would satisfy the needs of the majority of customers like us who are looking for an extremely fast (faster than a regular 85D) but very comfortable and practical EV.

I still think they should have continued the "+" concept as a separate car as there are two markets here: The hard core performance enthusiasts and people like us who want a fast and comfortable rocket ship on wheels with durable tires for NYC streets...

You have a good point but they can't have a configuration for every possible use case though, especially as a small company. A P85D variant between the 85D and the P85D would require quite a bit of additional engineering work as well as diluting the efficiency of the assembly line.

You have a good point but they can't have a configuration for every possible use case though, especially as a small company. A P85D variant between the 85D and the P85D would require quite a bit of additional engineering work as well as diluting the efficiency of the assembly line.
Not really, they were already set up for it. Just keep the + as an option (as it always was before) instead of making it mandatory on the P85D