Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should Tesla have rehired Henrik Fisker?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We all know what a beautifully stunning car the Model S is. And, let's face it, there have been a gazillion sedans since the beginning of time. To design something that classy, sexy, and beautiful was nothing short of amazing. Then consider that the Model S was designed by the same person that designed the Fisker Karma - another stunningly sexy sedan. When some of the initial prototypes of the Model X were shown, I was thinking, it's not bad, but it's not stunning like the S is. But, I felt like it was close enough that with a few small tweaks, it could actually be a very nice looking car in its production version. Yet, when the X was shown in its actual production version on Sept 29th, to me, it was downright hideous. It looks like an egg. The nose of the car is simply atrocious. Granted, there are people that say they love it (like there were people that loved the Aztek!). But, just judging by the average person I've talked to, I've not met one person who said it was anything better than "ok" or "not bad". Most say it is terrible. These same people rave about the Model S.

I can't help but wonder if Elon should have bitten his pride and contracted Fisker to come in and help with the finishing design of the Model X. I know it would have been hard, but the man obviously has an incredible talent. And obviously no one at Tesla right now has even close to that level of talent. Which makes me very scared about what the Model 3 will look like Thursday night. If it is as hideous as the X, that could spell the end of Tesla. They will be known as a car company that once built amazing looking cars that happened to be electric, but now build run-of-the-mill, ugly electric cars. If this thing is indeed hideous Thursday night, I sure hope Elon goes and begs Fisker to come on board with Tesla, re-design the 3 and fix the X, even if it means Elon has to give Fisker a big chunk of stock.

Should Elon have gone crawling back to Fisker? ... Not if he wanted to keep me as a customer.

I think you might be ignoring the fact that Franz von Holzhausen has been the chief designer at Tesla since 2010 & is credited with both the Model S and Model X design.

Franz von Holzhausen Joins Tesla Motors as Chief Designer

Tesla got rid of Henrik in 2008 - amid claims that his work was substandard & set them back. http://jalopnik.com/379850/tesla-sues-fisker-designers-in-worlds-most-expensive-girl-fight

Not sure if this is a serious post, but I'll treat it as such with a few critiques.

As far as I know, the Model S that was publicly shown in 2009 as well as the version that was finally delivered had none of Fisker's design input, so your basic premise is flawed.

The Model X styling could be better but is pretty good. What some have called "fish lips" has grown on me. I'm not sure the Karma mustache will ever grow on me (not literally), though there are some styling aspects I like about that vehicle.

The phrase is "swallow his pride".

[Mod note: Editing the title to fix grammar and make it less clickbaity]

We all know what a beautifully stunning car the Model S is. And, let's face it, there have been a gazillion sedans since the beginning of time. To design something that classy, sexy, and beautiful was nothing short of amazing. Then consider that the Model S was designed by the same person that designed the

This is incorrect. Fisker DID NOT design Model S.

Franz von Holzhausen designed Model S.

The story is told in this book by Ashlee Vance: http://amzn.com/0062301233

Short story: Tesla Motors originally had a contract for Mr. Fisker to design Model S. The designs that Fisker presented to Tesla, alledgedly bland and awful, did not satisfy the company. Fisker and Tesla parted ways, and Fisker went on to create the Karma under his own company. Tesla then sued Fisker.

Tesla hired Franz von Holzhausen to create the Model S design. The design team worked in secret in a tent set up at the SpaceX facility.

So no, Elon should not have asked Fisker for any more work. Fisker''s design for Model S was terrible, and the Karma is frankly an overwrought design that will age poorly.

After loosing the suit to Hendrick and paying all the court cost, I don't think Elon will talk with Fisker on any design. I am fairly certain there is no love lost going the other way either. All other debates aside, Fisker can design a car with significant style..... I have youngsters, millenniums, and even "blue hairs" gawk at my Karma. It still attracts attention after 4 years everywhere I drive. Unfortunately, in the automotive world, there is no room for more that one Alpha-Male in the organization. Hendrick is a great designer. Elon is a great engineer with insightful business vision. As much as it would appear a great match....It will never never never happen.

The problem with the design of the Model X (if any) is that it is an SUV/CUV. You can only do so much with what is essentially a large rectangle with a nose. One of the reasons I have never been a SUV/CUV fan is you cant make a design that is really good. The other big reason is that they are always bigger on the outside then they are on the inside. When we used to buy vehicles like this we always ended up back with a Minivan. For the size they always had more usable space.

The problem with the design of the Model X (if any) is that it is an SUV/CUV. You can only do so much with what is essentially a large rectangle with a nose. One of the reasons I have never been a SUV/CUV fan is you cant make a design that is really good. The other big reason is that they are always bigger on the outside then they are on the inside. When we used to buy vehicles like this we always ended up back with a Minivan. For the size they always had more usable space.
I agree with this, for everyone who does not like the Model X name another SUV that you think blows away the X design and is stunning. There is none, so you cannot compare a sedan with an SUV.

Not sure if this is a serious post, but I'll treat it as such with a few critiques.

As far as I know, the Model S that was publicly shown in 2009 as well as the version that was finally delivered had none of Fisker's design input, so your basic premise is flawed.

The Model X styling could be better but is pretty good. What some have called "fish lips" has grown on me. I'm not sure the Karma mustache will ever grow on me (not literally), though there are some styling aspects I like about that vehicle.

The phrase is "swallow his pride".

[Mod note: Editing the title to fix grammar and make it less clickbaity]

Man, I have NO IDEA why I put "bitten his pride." Not sure where I was going with bitten, but obviously I changed my thought midway and didn't go back and correct it. Oh well, I've made worse mistakes I suppose.

• Informative
Reactions: AnalysiZ
From the get-go Model X was supposed to reuse Model S parts. It's shape and looks are constrained by Model S platform, aerodynamics (best of any SUV) and safety (again, best of any SUV). Looking at Karma I have my doubts that Henrik would want to work under those constraints for one. Secondly, I believe those who think that Model X does not look good are in minority.

• Informative
There's a big hole in your theory. From what I can gather from online commentary, people love the look of the Fisker... with one glaring exception -- the nose! People hate the Fisker stash!

Besides, Franz is so much cooler than Fisker. :cool:

Last edited:
"In Franz we trust!"

I think they are both great designers. With Franz and staff running the design center, I don't see why they would need anything further from Henrik, and past history suggest they wouldn't even consider such a thing.

Personally, I suspect that Franz "got stuck with" some of what Henrik started with Model S, but then "did what he could" to get it into shape for what they wanted.

Looking forward to Model 3 intro this week. Hoping for awesomeness.

I still think some of the beta Model X's looked better than the production version, but bringing Fisker back into the mix is hardly a solution.

I do hope the Model X nose isn't included on the Model 3, but I would probably buy it regardless. The front licence plate should cover the worst area of the design sufficiently.