Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should Tesla inform about Supercharger-speed in design studio?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I bought the S90D, which I`m very satisified with by the way, I expected quicker or at least the same Supercharger-speed as the 85 version.

As it turns out, the 90 version tapers the power earlier than the 85, and when reaching 24% SOC the power tapers and stays well below the power that the 85kWh version receives. Maybe on average as much as 15-20% from 24-80% SOC (haven`t tested charging to higher SOC as there`s been no need for more range).

I expect that the slower 90 charging is caused by new cell chemistry since the difference is so big.
With the introduction of the 75D, have Tesla done the same? 75 charges slower than the 70? Changed to new chemistry, and by doing so lowering the 75 charging speed to well below the 70s charging speed? (speculations!!!!)

I would`ve greatly appreciated information about supercharging speed when ordering the 90. On very long trips the 85 might actually arrive earlier than the 90 because of quicker charging. In other words, the extra 5kWh becomes a disadvantage. Not what one expects. I might have gone with the 85 and saved lots if I had known this before the purchase.

This leads me to the conclusion that Tesla should informa about the different Supercharging speeds based on what kind of battery you choose.

On the bright side - the 90 battery according to canbus readout seems to be about 89kWh. So at least 5kWh bigger than the 85kWh battery. And thus far I`ve not experienced the rapid initial range loss like some people do :)