TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Should TESLA offer a J1772 charger?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by pairtrader, Apr 20, 2016.

1. pairtrader

pairtrader Member

Seems like a silly question, but I'm currently installing a charger in my underground parking. It's a 221 unit building in downtown Vancouver. We have a government grant to help with the cost, but the grant requires that the charger(s) have a J1772 connector. I'm wondering if this will be common with other provincial and state incentives. Of course there are plenty of providers for J1772 chargers, but I would have purchased a Tesla charger if possible.

2. pairtrader

pairtrader Member

I posted this in the Battery and Charging category as well, but I'm curious what Canadian owners think.

I'm currently installing a charger in my underground parking. It's a 221 unit building in downtown Vancouver. We have a government grant to help with the cost, but the grant requires that the charger(s) have a J1772 connector. I'm wondering if this will be common with other provincial and state incentives. Of course there are plenty of providers for J1772 chargers, but I would have purchased a Tesla charger if possible.

3. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

Plenty of reliable J1772 charger manufacturers. I would suggest the Clipper Crerk CS-100 as it will support the highest charge rates (dual or high amperage charger). Also, Electric Motor Werks does another higher amperage charger.

Go for those.

4. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

Vancouver BC, or Vancouver WA? :p

5. Evbwcaer

Evbwcaer Member

Quickchargepower.com can put a J1772 head on an HPWC. For something like $650 you'll have a 20,000w J1772, very nice value.

6. InternetDude

InternetDude Member

No because I don't particularly like using the adapter.

7. auger

auger Member

Some things you probably considered, but here ya go anyway.

Being underground, you may not have cell coverage. If you have Wi-Fi down there, you're good to go. If not, you may consider installing it. Tesla's (of course) and eMotorWerks have Wi-Fi connectivity. If you want to see how much power is being consumed or how often the EVSE is used, the JuiceBox keeps historical data for six months.

The J1772 is definitely better for a MUD--works for everybody.

8. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

There is no reason for Tesla to reinvent the wheel. There are already J1772 manufacturers, such as Clipper Creek, that make decent chargers.

9. beeeerock

beeeerock Active Member

I would love to see a J1772 version of the Tesla WC. Like you've noted, the government program only funds projects with J1772. Given the new version does load balancing and can provide up to 80 amps continuous... for $550 USD... that makes it a heck of a deal. Especially if you're installing it in a relatively sheltered location.

Compare that to the Clipper Creek 100 amp (80 Continuous) model. No advanced technology, no load balancing. $2800 CDN or so. Fully 4 times the price of the new WC.

I like the Clipper Creek product for durability and I like the Sun Country guys who sell it. But sheesh... I could buy 4 WC's and load balance them for the price of a single Clipper Creek unit. If they can make them for the price they're selling them, Tesla could really grab a big chunk of the market with their WC, if it had a J1772 connector on it. Or so I believe.

Personally... I'd install all the good stuff required by the grant, then buy a WC and install it at my parking space. The grant would cover the conduit, conductors etc, and the strata would have an extra J1772 for future use.

The biggest problem is measuring and recouping the electricity costs. Without revenue grade monitoring, you're stuck to find your own solution... current transformers or perhaps actual big glass meters like on the side of your house. Stuff like JuiceBox (eMotorwerks) looks really good... but isn't yet approved for use up here (no CSA or CUL rating).

I feel your pain... believe me!