Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should Tesla Reconsider Policy re: Credit for 19" Sig|Perf Wheels?

Is it a good policy to not provide a credit to Sig & Perf buyers who select 19" rims?

• I feel it is an unfair/unwise policy.

Votes: 54 54.5%
  • I feel it is a fair/good policy.

Votes: 11 11.1%
  • I don't feel strongly either way.

Votes: 34 34.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to my understanding, a Performance Production vehicle can be configured (via options) identical to a Signature Performance vehicle but for the availability of the Tesla red exterior, the white leather interior, Singnature badging, and an earlier delivery date. Interior appearance of both models will be identical I was told by sales people.

The Signature Performance includes the tech package, the upgraded stereo, the shelf, and the twin charger as standard. These items can be added to the Performance Production model. Note that the second charger is only needed if you intend to buy the high power wall connector, which is an option with both models.

Both models include 21 inch wheels/tires as standard, and both may be downgraded to 19 inch wheels/tires (with no credit at the present time).

I wouldn't be surprised to see Tesla doing something for its Signature reservation holders. However, I would be surprised if it was something that could potentially effect the production line or production schedule. Things that occur to me are a field installation of a center console insert, waiving the first year's annual maintenance fees, etc.

Larry

Well, since the Signature line is first in, first out, I believe it is entirely possible that items can be installed in the Sigs that require a minor retooling of the line after production is completed.. This could be done before initiation of the regular production vehicles.

Please keep in mind that Model S is not U.S. only. There will be a limited number of signature cars for every new market - Canada, Europe/Asia, Switzerland, UK, Hong Kong, Australia, and so on. Check the Tally Thread. After completion of the first 1000 U.S. signature cars, production will interleave between general production cars and signature cars.

I find that if they never offered the option to downgrade wheels (which is what most other makes do), they probably would have less/no issue. Or if they never offered 21" wheels as standard in any trim level (and stuck with more common 19" or 20").

I think Tesla marketing allowed the downgrade option to:
A) allow more options to the buyer
B) make it seem like the included wheels are of added value to the car that the buyer gets for "free" or a discount.

Instead, it got customers to unexpectedly feel like they got ripped off by having wheels they don't want/need (mainly because they are 21" wheels) bundled with the car and being charged full price for them.

I guess that I am seeing the flip side of the coin here. Yes - it would be nice to possibly see a discount - BUT - the car was stated, and never varied from to my knowledge - that the 21 inch wheels were STANDARD in specific packages, and that is what customers ordered when they reserved those packages. I would not feel ripped of because the 21 inch wheels were standard in that package. It bould be my choice to downgrade, not TMs. We were not deceived or anything, so now - if we want something different - some seem to want a discount. Would it possibly be nice...yes, but that is not the point. The car's specifications included 21 inch wheels. If that was not desired, then the option was given to downgrade the wheels to a smaller size at no charge. But remember - the car was specked with 21 inch wheels.

Another option, and one that is practiced at BMW, Mercedes, and most dealerships, is that one can purchase different wheels from the actual BMW or Mercedes store and have them swapped out, and either trade in the wheels to the dealer for what ever he would give on trade, or sell them out right. The back of the Roundel (BMW CCA magazine) regularly has new car take offs that people are selling. Has anyone priced 19 inch wheels at a dealership (store) to see what they will cost? Or is this price available?

Additionally, I do not believe that opting for 19 inch wheels over 21 inch wheels equates to a "lesser car". Right now I am riding on 35 profile tires on my BMW, and quite frankly, even though they offer marginally better performance, I am looking forward to a higher aspect ration tire with the 19 inch wheels on the Model S. As many have said, 21 inch wheels and low profile tires, combined with some of the roads in the US, do not equal the best situation....

Last edited:
I agree with rogbmw. It would be great to get a discount on 19" wheels but doesn't look like it will happen. If 19" wheels are a primary selling feature, then a production (non-performace) sport is the way to go. This sucks for some Signature owners as we put money down years and years ago when we were told 'it will be fully loaded' without being told what that meant.

The non-Performance Production is not an option for me because of the interior. If Tesla makes no accommodation, I intend to exercise my right to delay the order for 6 months, thus preventing them from selling 2 cars to other individuals for that period of time. They never said anything to me about the 21 inch wheels/tires before I placed orders. Everything else I can accept. I will not accept the 21 inch tires/wheels.

I am hopeful my sales rep will work something out. He knows what is at stake.

The non-Performance Production is not an option for me because of the interior. If Tesla makes no accommodation, I intend to exercise my right to delay the order for 6 months, thus preventing them from selling 2 cars to other individuals for that period of time. They never said anything to me about the 21 inch wheels/tires before I placed orders. Everything else I can accept. I will not accept the 21 inch tires/wheels.

I am hopeful my sales rep will work something out. He knows what is at stake.

What don't you like about the non-performance interior?
What area of the country are you in and what is the reason you won't accept 21" wheels on the performance version?
Are you a Signature reservation holder?

They've said since the performance package was announced that it comes with 21" wheels. It was up in the air for awhile if a credit would be offered for a downgrade though. I also don't see how delaying your purchase will prevent other people from getting a car. Hopefully you're able to work something out though.

I have two reservations; one signature and one production. The signature model is supposed to be limited to 1000 cars, and we have the right to a 6 month delay. If I exercise the delay option, they have to keep a slot open in the event I decide to finalize the purchase. The only negative is that by delaying, Tesla gets to hold onto the deposit for the delay period. However, that doesn't bother me at all.

As indicated in another post, I do not like the interior of the non-performance production model. I want the solid leather interior with colored piping, alcatera bolsters and headliner, and leather on the lower dash and door panels. It is not possible to get these items on the non-performance production model. I don't care about the faster accceleration; I have had 5 eye operations, so my days of doubling the speed limit are over.

I live in the northeast corridor; MD outside DC. I have owned Corvettes with conventional tires and never had bent rims from potholes. I currently have a Merecdes sports car with low profile tires and have had to replace rims at $1100 a pop due to pothole damage. The DC Tesla reps advise against the 21 inch low profile tires in this region. The NY Tesla reps advise against the 21 inch low profile tires in the entire northeast region. Tesla headquarters in CA also advised me not to get the 21 inch low profile tires in this area. If every Tesla representative advises against the tires for this region, they should not be making it "standard". The "standard" tire should be the 19 inch tire with the option to upgrade for a charge, and not the 21 inch low profile tire with a no credit downgrade. It almost seems like they selected the 21 inch tire (with its cost built into the price of the car), reccomending/hoping people in areas like the northeast will downgrade to increase their profit margin.

It is not the $3500 that is thrown away if I downgrade that bothers me. It is the principal. As an attorney, I object to them making an item "standard" that they know is not suitable for this regiuon, and then recommending that one selects the 19 inch normal tire but say that you get nothing back. Note that the big boys (GM, Mercedes, et al.) sell their cars with different tires depending upon the region of the country where the car is being sold.

That makes sense. I hope they come up with some kind of compromise if not a full credit for the downgrade to 19" wheels. I'd get the 19" wheels most likely if a full credit were given. I'll take the 21" wheels and see how it goes. If I need to, then I'll just have to buy the 19" wheels.

That makes sense. I hope they come up with some kind of compromise if not a full credit for the downgrade to 19" wheels. I'd get the 19" wheels most likely if a full credit were given. I'll take the 21" wheels and see how it goes. If I need to, then I'll just have to buy the 19" wheels.

I have never switched wheels in a car. When you go to a different size after purchase, do you have to re-calibrate the speedometer or anything else?

I have never switched wheels in a car. When you go to a different size after purchase, do you have to re-calibrate the speedometer or anything else?

Me neither actually. Someone with more technical expertise could provide a better answer but I believe the outer diameter is the same. The 19" wheels simply have a thicker tire (more rubber from end of rim to road)

I intend to exercise my right to delay the order for 6 months, thus preventing them from selling 2 cars to other individuals for that period of time. They never said anything to me about the 21 inch wheels/tires before I placed orders.

I have two reservations; one signature and one production. The signature model is supposed to be limited to 1000 cars, and we have the right to a 6 month delay. If I exercise the delay option, they have to keep a slot open in the event I decide to finalize the purchase. As an attorney, I object.....

As an Attorney I'm not sure you've read the small print....or maybe you're better than the rest of us:

1. Where does it say you can delay for "6 months"?
2. Your logic doesn't prevent Tesla selling 2 cars to other individuals....? There are over 10,000 reservation and a wait list for the Sigs.
3. You can take a one-time deferrment for "the date on which your vehicle enters production." You have to place your order to get that far. See here: http://www.teslamotors.com/models/facts
4. I haven't found anywhere it says you can defer and only hold your reservation without making a commitment; and I can't see Tesla keeping a one-sided, open ended commitment to deliver a Sig in case you decide you want one after all.

I've changed wheels on a majority of my vehicles over the past 17 years. Usually I'm going with a plus one or plus two upgrade, where I go up one or two inches on the wheel diameter, but go with lower profile tires. Usually this results in very little speedometer change. If anything, I've found it makes the accuracy of the speedo a little better, as the factory ships most cars to be a little optimistic when it comes to the speedo. GPS's have told me that most cars read about 2-3% faster than they are actually going. The size of the wheel/tire packages I usually go with are a few percent larger than stock, I think a more filled our wheel well looks better, and this usually makes the speedo spot on.

A good calculator for wheel/tire diameters, and what it does to speedometer accuracy can be found here:
Tire size calculator

I've changed wheels on a majority of my vehicles over the past 17 years. Usually I'm going with a plus one or plus two upgrade, where I go up one or two inches on the wheel diameter, but go with lower profile tires. Usually this results in very little speedometer change. If anything, I've found it makes the accuracy of the speedo a little better, as the factory ships most cars to be a little optimistic when it comes to the speedo. GPS's have told me that most cars read about 2-3% faster than they are actually going. The size of the wheel/tire packages I usually go with are a few percent larger than stock, I think a more filled our wheel well looks better, and this usually makes the speedo spot on.

A good calculator for wheel/tire diameters, and what it does to speedometer accuracy can be found here:
Tire size calculator

Thanks

If you do not finalize the sales agreement within 30 days of being notified, there is an automatic deferral. This is according to Tesla. And if not, then I'll cancel, which will be Tesla's loss. There are plenty of cars out there. I ordered it because I liked the internet connectivity concept. Every manufacturer is starting to jump on that now.

Last edited:
If you do not finalize the sales agreement within 30 days of being notified, there is an automatic deferral. This is according to Tesla. And if not, then I'll cancel, which will be Tesla's loss. There are plenty of cars out there. I ordered it because I liked the internet connectivity concept. Every manufacturer is starting to jump on that now.

Are you deferring in the hopes the policy changes by the time yours comes around?

I know what it's like to be in love with something except one piece, but If they don't offer a credit, then maybe just get the wheels and sell 'em. Ditching the whole care over that doesn't seem all that reasonable IMHO and lets be honest, Tesla isn't going to be hurting to fill a cancelled reservation.

Though, if Internet connectivity is all that made you reserve 2, then you're right, there are plenty other fish in the sea.