Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should Tesla sell access to the Supercharger network to non Teslas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon said that they would want companies who participate to also proportionally extend the network.

So let's say Nissan opts in with their 300k Leafs and as a result they double the Supercharger network size from 10'000 to 20'000. And they also further commit to build 1 charger for every one Tesla builds. Would you really be opposed to that?

This is a great point and it would be good IMO. More Superchargers stations and in principle no extra wait time. OK why not, sounds good, no skin off a Tesla owners nose.

But here's what I wonder..... I Guess Tesla have offered other car makers to 'buy in', probably with a small profit for Tesla but the other car makers were shocked at the cost for them to contribute proportionally. So lets face it, they are waiting for governments and small private charge companies to install the infrastructure. Perhaps small boutique brands would buy in as mentioned.

In Europe at least, the non-Tesla charge infrastructure is there and its OK, but using it is a pain. You need many accounts, you spend a lot of time on PlugShare, the cost can be crazy and you are never really sure which card/account you need to kick start the thing once you get there (unless you used it recently). Another reason I bought a Tesla.

Note: I am not anti Non-Tesla EV makers, I just have not seen them invest much in infrastructure yet, nor do I think they ever will.

Reactions: Country Roads