Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should the door handles present when pressed on the back doors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There was an old thread about that topic, but I can't find it anymore, so forgive me for opening a new one....

When I press on a door handle on one of the front doors, the door handles (all 4) present. When I do it on the back doors they don't present. I find that strange and inconvenient, e.g. if someone wants to get in in the back or if I want to get something from the back seat.

In the old thread there were some ppl saying it works for them on the back doors, some were saying it doesn't. Someone was even offering to create a video showing it works, but I think at the end he never did.
I was recently in the service center because of that, and they didn't know if its normal or not, so they tried on another Model S where it also didn't work and said seems to be normal then....

I suspect it works on some cars and not on others. Would someone which can make the door handles present by pressing them on the back door be so kind to create a video so I can show it to my service center guys? Then maybe they can find out what's the problem.

I've uploaded a video for you. This is on my 89k S85D. Manufactured in April 2015
FW 2.13.77
I don't understand why the car has to be unlocked. The front doors will unlock fine with the press of the handle but not the rear door... I find this particularly annoying as I don't use the auto present feature and often want to put something in the back seat prior to getting in the car.

I don't understand why the car has to be unlocked. The front doors will unlock fine with the press of the handle but not the rear door... I find this particularly annoying as I don't use the auto present feature and often want to put something in the back seat prior to getting in the car.

I think the question is perhaps just your driver door is unlocked and the rear are still locked, so pressing on that door's handle will do nothing. Is door unlock set to Driver or All ?

Just speculating, if you car cannot detect your fob it will ignore a request to unlock the handle.
So perhaps the batteries in you fob are getting low so when you stand at the rear the fob is not being picked up to authorize the unlock request.
Does the lift-gate open on your car without first unlocking?
Have you changed the batteries in your fob recently?

• Helpful
Reactions: William3
Just speculating, if you car cannot detect your fob it will ignore a request to unlock the handle.
So perhaps the batteries in you fob are getting low so when you stand at the rear the fob is not being picked up to authorize the unlock request.
Does the lift-gate open on your car without first unlocking?
Have you changed the batteries in your fob recently?
I thought about that too, but the lift gate works without unlocking. I also tried to put the fob on the roof and pressed the back door handle, nothing happened. Then without moving the fob I pressed the front door handle and the handles presented.

I have it set to unlock all doors. But I've changed to not automatically onlock when I press P. Not sure if that makes a difference, I'll check later. But if it does, then I still don't see why the back and front door handles would behave different.

I have it set to unlock all doors. But I've changed to not automatically onlock when I press P. Not sure if that makes a difference, I'll check later. But if it does, then I still don't see why the back and front door handles would behave different.

That shouldn't be a problem. It is the same way I have my car set. When you open any door, they all unlock. That was also why I had the "bug" that I couldn't open my frunk or trunk when parking sometimes. I had to open a door first (or click unlock). :)

Let me clarify:
On Post #8 when I made that video, the car was unlocked and I did NOT have the key in my possession nor was it close by. I understood the OP was asking if the door handles will present when the rear door is pushed. The only time this condition exists is when the doors are already unlocked and the key is not present. If both of those factors are not true, the car will always present the door handles when approached (when the setting is on all doors)
I guess the OP got his answer as he would be taking my demo to his SC.

It works on my #64xx P85. Note, as others say, the car must be unlocked for the rear handles to present.

I find this useful if we're loading or unloading things out of the back, but the side doors have retracted their handles due to inactivity. Pressing any side door handle (front or back) makes them all present again.

For what it's worth my 2015 Model S 70D does present when the rear door handles are pressed on rare occasions. Mostly it does not. I have tried to work out if there is some special set of circumstances that will ensure the rear door handles will present but so far it seems random (and never two times in a row). I asked Sydney service centre about this on my only visit and they said (after some chat to California) that they do not present (but mine have, less than a dozen times in this the first year of ownership though). Of course the fact that that they seldom work means I do not check to see if they will every time, mostly just pressing the the front handle in on that side which presents all four handles. I have auto-present turned off.