TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Should the Gen 3 to be a smaller version of the Model S but otherwise identical?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by ipdamages, Jun 10, 2013.

?

Should the Gen 3 exterior simply be a smaller version of the Model S?

1. Same as Model S, only 10% smaller

28.9%
  2. Model S size less 10%, but a little more aggressive/sporty

40.7%
  3. Model S size less 10%, but a little more mainstream

30.4%
  1. ipdamages

ipdamages Roadster Sports 835 & 972

In light of Elon's comments that the Gen 3 is going to be similar to the Model S, only 10% smaller, do you think the Model S exterior is otherwise perfect as is for Gen 3 purposes, or would you prefer that it be more sporty/aggressive, or less sporty/aggressive?

2. IceWendigo

IceWendigo Member

Imo Model S is just perfect blend of style, imo Gen 3 doesn't need to be sportier nor less sportier.

3. kilpatds

kilpatds Member

There's what it should be, and what I want it to be. I want something more sporty... but they'll maximize sales & profit elsewhere on the spectrum.

4. fjavifp

fjavifp Member

Think he said 20%... with strong family resemblance...

5. Mr X

Mr X Future Owner

i love the model s's design but it has to be slightly different, cant be exactly the same

6. Kevin Harney

Kevin Harney Active Member

I vote for Sportier. S is nice but IMHO bland looking. Franz said he wants to take more liberties with Gen3 and I hope Elon lets him

7. MrIanB

MrIanB Member

I would like Gen 3 to be comparable to BMW 3 series or Lexus IS size. Not sure it would still allow current battery ranges to fit in them.

Ian B

8. Kevin Harney

We already know it will be competition for the 3 Series, C Class and A4/5 from Elon

9. IceWendigo

IceWendigo Member

If they could pull some sort of cab forward design and slightly push the wheels out closer to the four corners, keep the Model S battery pack and have it look good it would be great imo.

10. ChrisP

ChrisP Member

I agree. Elon mentionned in the past Gen III would be 25% smaller than the Model S but lately he did mention it would be 20% smaller (could not find the source thought). Never heard of 'only' 10% smaller. Can someone confirm he mentionned 10% smaller? That would make it still quite a roomy sedan (not that I would mind).

11. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

It has to be more than just 10% smaller to reduce weight and get an aerodynamic cross section that's going to be needed to get as much range as possible from a smaller pack. Make it small, slippery, and sporty please, not just a smaller S.

12. timf

timf Member

As a frame of reference, the Volt is approximately 18% smaller than the Model S based on footprint. I have a hard time picturing the Gen 3 being any smaller than this as it's already pretty tight on passenger space. The A4 by comparison is only 12% smaller than the Model S, while the 3 series is 14% smaller. I think ultimately the Gen 3 will be in the neighborhood of 10-15% smaller than the Model S or you end up positioned too far down market to be competitive with luxury manufacturers.

13. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

The Volt suffers from the intrusion of the pack, G3 won't have that handicap.

14. Rifleman

Rifleman Now owns 2 Model S's!!!

If it was just as wide as the volt, with 3 seats in the rear, and 2-3 inches more rear seat leg room, I would be really happy with that form factor.

15. sleepyhead

sleepyhead Active Member

It also needs to have a lot more headroom in the rear. This scaled down Model S coupe style is not going to work in a smaller car. Head room is very important in the back seat, and Tesla shouldn't ignore this issue.

16. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

And ICE. :)

17. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

If they can fit 3 in the rear seat, I think they've made it too large/wide.

18. Rifleman

Rifleman Now owns 2 Model S's!!!

They dont necessarily need to be able to fit three adults in the rear seat, but the ability to put a rear facing child seat in the middle between the two font seats is critical. This is a MAJOR issue with the Volt, and has prevented a lot of sales. The guys over on GM-VOLT.com complain about it all the time.

19. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Member

Price point should be below $30,000 and it should go at least 260 miles. Maybe a little more average joe and less luxury. Ford Focus/Mazda 3-ish? With Tesla style, of course.

20. Kevin Harney

Not going to happen !