Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should the under-display shelf have a door?

Should the under-display shelf have a door or cover?

• Yes, if it is sturdy, aesthetic and functional

Votes: 39 38.2%
  • No, I don't care things on the shelf are seen

Votes: 63 61.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The shelf under the 17" display is probably a welcome step in the right direction from the standpoint of most folks, myself included. However, it does not address the need for concealed storage in reach of the driver. Anything on the shelf will be visible to potential thieves. It is entirely possible that the only standard concealed storage in the car will be the glove box. And the glove box is notably less useable than one might think. There is a sizable gap between the door and the compartment which means when you open the glove box door stuff will fall out onto the floor through the gap.

While I like the under-display shelf, IMO it becomes much more functional and useful with a door or cover. The door would need to be sturdy, aesthetic and functional of course, probably folding entirely out of the way when open. I am curious what others think about this and believe it might be valuable feedback for Tesla now that the shelf is standard.

I like the shelf as is and im very happy they included it as standard. I do not believe it was meant to be the solution for concealed storage. It's a shelf to throw things on (ez pass, tickets, keys), not a hiding place. We'll still need something else for that goal.

I like the shelf as is and im very happy they included it as standard. I do not believe it was meant to be the solution for concealed storage. It's a shelf to throw things on (ez pass, tickets, keys), not a hiding place. We'll still need something else for that goal.

Yeah and I like something like this, actually. My Miata has a shelf like this that's (relatively speaking) higher and more visible but no one's broken in for my sunglasses or scraps of paper yet. I like this convenience--stick something there, get to it quickly on the go.

I'm disappointed to read ddruz's comment about the glove box, though (the gap)...hmm.

I'm fine with an open compartment shelf - my BMW simply has a flat tray in front of the shifter (where lame cupholders open to and I use for glasses or wallet), a trough between the center armrests(that has the same 3 pens in it since 2005), and a little compartment with a vertically sliding door that resides below the center armrests to the rear of the shifter. The last time I used that little compartment with a door, Arizona was still a territory. Last time I locked something in the glove box was never. Viva la shelf!

I voted for it, but I really don't want them messing with it now.

I'm also kind of torn. I suppose that anything that I really want to keep secret could go in the glovebox or frunk. Oh well, I'm really happy that there's going to be a place to stick my sunglasses and iPhone.

I think the existing cubby is too small for a door/latch. Can't see what is in there even without the door, imho.

I've only got a picture of a beta glove box. Attached.
Tesla Model S Test Drive 6-23-12 105.jpg

Tesla Model S Test Drive 6-23-12 106.jpg

After view these again, I think it is a problem of cruddy camera and light interior versus black glovebox lining. No gap, just terrible perspective on the photos.

Here is a concept sketch developing the shelf vertically so it is more useful without giving up the floor storage for purses, pack packs, shoes, briefcases and take out bags.

Significantly, this also would help solve the dangerous condition created with the current open shelf configuration. Any serious driver will tell you never to store anything in a position where it can roll under the brake or accelerator pedal. I've read of cases of women kicking off high heels for safer driving only to have them cause an accident.

I imagine the existing shelf used for sunglasses and phones, the drawer for smaller items or valuable items, and the cubby for hats, caps, the cloth for the screen, tire gage, point and shoot camera etc. The door faces might match the brushed aluminum.

I also like changing the color of the leather behind the steering wheel to black to take some of the stiffness out of the symmetry.

An optional aluminum cup holder might be attachable on the forward face of the existing cup holder location for people with the seat forward.

And thank you Tesla for not cluttering up the interior with redundant logos and brand signs.

(hope this picture loads)
Tesla.001.jpg

View attachment 7670
View attachment 7671

After view these again, I think it is a problem of cruddy camera and light interior versus black glovebox lining. No gap, just terrible perspective on the photos.

Jason S: My observation about the gap is based on the beta glove box. It did not occur to me that the production glove box would be different. I hope it is. In your pictures the gap is seen between the lower edge of the glove box door and the front edge of the glove box. Light is showing through it on your pictures. It would be great if someone taking a test drive at the upcoming events will snap a picture of a production glove box and post it.

This whole console/storage conversation has made me realize that although I keep my iPod in the armrest bin in my Fusion, it's not really there for concealment - it's there because that's where Ford placed the USB port. Actually I find that I forget to remove it from the car sometimes because it's "out of sight, out of mind". An open shelf would definitely remind me that I need to secure those items before leaving the car. I do the same with my GPS and my radar detector.

For me that little shelve is perfect, that's the only thing I thought was missing. Somewhere to put your smartphone while it is charging, credit card, sun glasses, highway tickets... All of that being readily available.
Things that you will have to take with you (or trash) while leaving the car, so no concealment needed.

Simple and functional, well done Tesla !

The only way I'd want a door there is if they did like a roll top desk door. Insert random google search image.

SomethingEdible-Kitchen_Cabinet_Countertop_Remodel28.jpg

That way its just a completely open shelf, the way I'd prefer it the vast majority of the time, but it would give the option of closing it if you're leaving expensive sunglasses or electronics in there.

My Prius has a shelf with a door in about the same location and I never use it. A shelf without a door would be much more useful to me. I need it for Fast Trak and my phone and that's probably about it. Thanks Tesla for including it!

My Prius has it and I use it all the time! I keep my library card, some business cards, a gas card and a few other tiny bits that, without a door would have to find a new, less convenient, home.

That said, I voted "no door" as i think a modest 'lip' of sorts would keep most stuff in if there is some textured 'floor' on the shelf that helped reduce stuff sliding out when I'm flooring the accelerator!

You're posting the wrong reason for the no answer. IF I should put valuables there, it is only while I'm in the car. Otherwise, they come out when I leave or put in the glove box or other lockable area. I don't understand the obsession with leaving valuables in a vehicle in the first place. A car thief will get it all whether it's exposed or not.

I don't understand the obsession with leaving valuables in a vehicle in the first place. A car thief will get it all whether it's exposed or not.

My current solution is to keep my car looking like a laundry hamper, with about 10,000 clean napkins and empty water bottles mixed in for texture. I doubt anyone would want to rummage through my car to find anything.

I am pretty happy about the shelf. My RFID cards and ChapStick (only because Blistex melts in cars) can go there. Right now they reside in my ash tray, and the lid is up most of the time because I use the stuff in there all the time.