Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should there be a fender liner clip here?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

holmgang

Sep 9, 2019
eu
Top right, above rear strut on both sides of vehicle, there is a hole in the liner and corresponding hole in the vehicle body, but no clip. Should there be one?

lzaNsaE.jpg

Why do I ask? noticed there is a missing clip just ahead of left front wheel. I know this because the opposing clip is present on the right front wheel wheelwell.

kyTxU3c.jpg

Why do I care? apparently the liner is already separating in my left rear wheelwell . The vehicle has 150 miles on it. Driven in snow, but not rain.

wGERRwn.jpg

There are quite a few locations like this. Apparently they were filled in early production but deemed “not necessary” in later builds. Many (like me) ordered a bulk fastener kit off amazon and have taken it upon ourselves to fill those in. It’s more of an OCD thing and supposedly not necessary. This is what I got and seems to work well. I’m not confident the plastic will wear with time, but it works for now.

Ginsco 102pcs 6.3mm 8mm 9mm 10mm Nylon Bumper Push Fasteners Rivet Clips Expansion Screws Replacement Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076BMVZ8R/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_SWpeEbCB8YMK0

Reactions: holmgang
I have a few of them missing. You can get additional clips at home Depot, lowes, etc.

The last pic, you just need to tuck the liner back in. It should sit in the small lip on the fender.

ill check again in daylight but with a cursory feel, that particular area just popped out, and theres no or not enough lip for it to be tucked back in. its quite curled away from the fender edge.

there might be some (missing) clips nearby to reinforce it. ive ordered a generic plastic rivet set from amazon..