TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Should there be any vibration on the steering wheel or is minor vibration normal?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Msolomi, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Msolomi

Msolomi Member

I had not noticed till today some vibration, but not sure i was ever looking out for it.

2. Desdi

Desdi Member

Get your wheels balanced to see if that helps. Thats what I would do first if its minor.

3. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

I have a vibration in the steering when the HVAC is running hard. Took it in to the SC, they made it significantly better, but still there. I watched them as they worked on it, so was able to confirm no pipes or hoses resting on the steering shaft. It's just that AC motor vibrates quite a lot, even tho it's mounted on bushings. I still wonder if the behavior mine exhibits, is all that normal or not. I'll probably asked other locals about there experiences some more.

You may have your Service Center, check yours out too. They know what to look for.

4. Msolomi

Msolomi Member

What I'm referring to is a slight vibration in the steering wheel when the AC is not on. Should I feel ANY vibration in the steering wheel when driving, even if slightly? Barely noticeable but curious. Thanks.

5. DaveVa

DaveVa Sig Perf #236 VIN #484

Alignment took care of my problem of vibration at speed (60 mph)

6. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

There should be no vibration whatsoever. The two main causes of vibration are unbalanced or improperly mounted tires and wheels and too much caster. The caster vibration gets worse as the speed increases. The tire/wheel vibration can do that (static balance), but more typically is worse at one particular speed (dynamic balance). Tire damage can also cause vibration problems, so check for bulges in the sidewall or tread.