Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should they add stalkless driving to Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems to me they should be able to update every car to at least enable stalkless driving. If it is as magical and works as well as elon claims might be a good way to get people used to it before a giant purchase.
Would you want this as an option? Do you think it requires a beefier mcu or anything special?

No. I think this is only going to hurt Tesla in the long run. Anybody coming over from an ICE to a Tesla already has a learning curve, to adapt to the no gauges on a M3/MY and just center screen, and now we are thinking about removing the 2 stalks for what? The right side stalk to engage a drive mode, not so much of a big deal, how often are you using that so fiddling to push a button for drive/reverse not so bad. But the turn indicator?

I'll admit that I have not done much research into this, just going by the photos on Tesla's MS page and those buttons appear to be capacitive touch, flat and not a physical button like the scroll wheels. Right now I can blindly hit that turn indicator as part of my changing lanes normal process, checking other lanes, etc. something we have been trained to do since we were what, 15, 16? Now I need to look at steering and position my thumb to engage a button to activate a turn signal? This might work for the video gaming generation, but I fear this is only going to scare away the older folks, a bit too much to overcome if coming from a non-Tesla. Will those buttons work in winter with gloves on? If I have a sudden need to engage windshield wipers, how hard and long will that take?

Too many younger California, video gaming types in the designer's chair, and out of touch with the larger customer base. It might look cool and futuristic, but it will further polarize the customer base and drive potential EV buyers to other brands. If this was a customizable option, then maybe, otherwise not a smart move Tesla.

Reactions: CleverUsername
Seems to me they should be able to update every car to at least enable stalkless driving. If it is as magical and works as well as elon claims might be a good way to get people used to it before a giant purchase.
Would you want this as an option? Do you think it requires a beefier mcu or anything special?
No, because the new S and X both have steering wheels (the yoke) with 'touch' buttons for the lights, wipers, horn, etc. Unless you could have those functions quickly to hand, I don't see them enabling anything like that for the current 3 and Y, and I'm not sure I'd want them until I see it in action and can test it myself.

Let me be clear. What I was asking is should they let this be an option on all the 3s and Ys they have. The stalk would still be there but it'd be an option. And in my opinion nicer than the s/x because if you need to override the stalk is right there unlike the s/x where you'll have to use the screen.
I honestly don't think I like the idea, but if it was an option I'd gladly try it. And if they rolled it out it with the current fleet might give people more chances to try it without being stuck stalkless.

What's the point if you still have the stalks? The idea is to1) make the interior less cluttered and 2) further enable Elon's autonomous vision, where the driver is optional. So, there will be less stuff for a passenger to mess around with when the car is in fully autonomous mode. The stalk-less environment is a step in that direction.

I'd like it. I like the yoke look on the MS. I'd take that.