TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Should TMC discourage "+1 posts"?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Johan, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

In browsing the TMC forum I feel I see too many posts quoting someone else and adding "+1". I believe this should be discouraged. You can instead use the "add to reputation" function if you only want to voice your approval of what someone else has posted without adding any new information yourself.

Or maybe I'm just being grumpy?

2. PaulusdB

PaulusdB Mayor Gnomus Vintage Limb

the reputation change isn't seen by anyone but the giver and the receiver.

3. drees

drees Active Member

+1 (hah!)

Certainly the ones that just quote a huge post with a +1 and nothing else anyway. It would be nice if adding karma to a post also showed the number of times it was added via that post. Then we could easily eliminate +1 posts.

4. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

5. SlyWombat

SlyWombat Member

6. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

The "+1" doesn't bother me, although the "+1,000" or "+1,000,000" is kinda silly...you only get one vote after all.

(And wait for someone to write "+1,000,000" in 3,2,1,....)

7. GSP

GSP Member

+1*10^34

gsp

8. gpetti

gpetti Active Member

If there was a like option the +1 would disappear along with many posts that are essentially just to void agreement. Easily said, not two easily implemented.

9. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

10. bluenation

bluenation Member

there are forums which allow a Like function (same as Reputation on this forum, except requiring only 1 click as opposed to 3), and your name (ie. the 'liker") is publicly seen at the bottom of that post you just liked.

my fav is certain hip hop forums, where they changed the wording from "like" to "daps"

so for example

"Bluenation, Johan, and Xenoilphobe give daps to this post".

that shyt always cracked me up lol. always a sense of humor.

11. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

According to me the + 1 is a very useful way to point out something very smart and good. Don't agree with the OP.

12. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

Question to the mods/Doug: is there no function that can be added to the forum in addition to the "reputation" such as some sort of "thumbs up"/"like" feature or some sort of upvote feature?

13. mibaro2

mibaro2 Member

+/- 1

Sometimes if I see a post that is exactly what I would have said, the +1 just sums up my reply.
    I noticed that there is a "rate thread" option , but you don't see the current status of the thread unless you click on it.

I don't see a rate post option. If that option gets available, I also suggest there should be a 5 star rating beside the post which show its current status.

14. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Having a +1 shows publicly you're in agreement with the post, although it's probably better to add a bit of detail as to why you're in agreement, or which part of the post you agree with. A "like" button would do the public part but not the why part, so there's pros and cons to each approach. I don't see any particular problem with the way it's done now. Bear in mind that almost every added feature puts more load on the server(s) and slows response slightly. (Slightly times a large number equals a large number.)

15. gpetti

gpetti Active Member

The Like button wouldn't prevent people doing a plus 1 with additional comment if they so desired, it would just provide an alternative to people doing +1 without an comment. Incidentally the comment box doesn't normally like less than 3 characters so I normally have to stuff a space in there (not sure if there is some clever trick for this). I'm guessing that a Like button would put less load on the server than requesting and submitting a comment; however, I guess more people would do it than the number of people that currently do +1.

16. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

~1

(I don't care)

17. Crispix

Crispix Member

I believe vBulletin does has a "like button" feature (as mentioned above) where people can just click the "like" button instead of posting a "+1". You can see the names of all the people who liked your post. How about enabling that?

My other procrastination stop on the webz, scubaboard.com, has it enabled if anyone wants to see how it looks.

18. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

I highlighted the question to doug although I suspect it might be more than just click on a check box and presto the feature is there.

19. Crispix

Crispix Member

If the reputation feature is already turned on and configured with proper permissions (and we know it is), enabling the Like button should be straightforward. The settings for reputation and like button are closely related, at least in some versions of vBulletin.

Whether we should have the feature or not, that's an entirely different type of flying, altogether.

20. linkster

linkster Member

+ 1 :wink: