Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should Warranty Cover? (Back trim piece)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

So I started noticing the back trim piece on both sides becoming a completely different color. I put in for service and they responded by saying this would not be covered under warranty.

Here are their responses:
"This discoloration is due to caustic materials contacting the quarter glass trim. Some automatic car washes especially touchless use this type of soap. The quarter glass trim is made of different material than the roof trim which is not affected by this."

Also:

"Warranty is for manufacture defects. This is not a defect but an outside source causing damage to the trim. This is not a warrantable concern."

They want $700+ to replace :D!

Thoughts?

In that case, I guess it's better my car came with black trim instead. Chrome looks more classy on the M3 IMO (and I'm not a chrome guy), but that difference looks like crap. And it's almost insulting to blame car washes for that, when it's clearly a material issue, since one piece looks perfect, and the others don't. Finally, I would NOT pay for a new part, since it'll look the same in a year or two. Probably better to wrap them, or repaint them; whichever is cheaper. Good luck man, and keep us posted what you decide to do.

So I started noticing the back trim piece on both sides becoming a completely different color. I put in for service and they responded by saying this would not be covered under warranty.

Here are their responses:
"This discoloration is due to caustic materials contacting the quarter glass trim. Some automatic car washes especially touchless use this type of soap. The quarter glass trim is made of different material than the roof trim which is not affected by this."

Also:

"Warranty is for manufacture defects. This is not a defect but an outside source causing damage to the trim. This is not a warrantable concern."

They want $700+ to replace :D!

Thoughts?

It seems like a defect in material to me. Only you know if you go through car washes, for example, but going through car washes for many people is "regular usage" so even then it seems a bit strange they would not cover something like that because of that reason... especially when its not happening to the rest of the side chrome.

That would be my argument. Its difficult to believe that the back quarter panel chrome trim around the windows would be materially different than the rest of the same trim around the rest of the windows.

Unfortunately, none of our opinions here matter on something like this, you would need to convince your local service center.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phlier
If the material used in the trim does not meet suitability for intended purpose, you might have a leg to stand on, but that would be for an attorney to decide.

I can understand what Tesla is trying to say, but I disagree. Exposing your car to commercial car washes should be expected by any car manufacturer. The fact that this seems to be a Tesla specific issue could very well mean that the materials they used were not suitable for the intended use and purpose.

Each state has its own laws about such things, so a lot of it will depend on where you live. Not to mention how much time, effort, and money you're willing to put into it.

Shame Tesla won't do the right thing. :(

If the material used in the trim does not meet suitability for intended purpose, you might have a leg to stand on, but that would be for an attorney to decide.

I can understand what Tesla is trying to say, but I disagree. Exposing your car to commercial car washes should be expected by any car manufacturer. The fact that this seems to be a Tesla specific issue could very well mean that the materials they used were not suitable for the intended use and purpose.

Each state has its own laws about such things, so a lot of it will depend on where you live. Not to mention how much time, effort, and money you're willing to put into it.

Shame Tesla won't do the right thing. :(

Thanks for the response. Yeah, that's the most disappointing thing is that Tesla is not just doing the right thing. I want to be a Tesla owner for life but its little things like this and other customer service issues that will make me switch to another EV when my Model 3 runs its course.

Any thoughts on who I could accelerate this to? Obviously I don't want to take Tesla to small claims court or anything, but I could at least move it up to someone higher.

I believe Tesla specifically warns against commercial car washes for reasons like this.

Some car washes are designed to be gently on automotive finishes. Others use very harsh chemicals to get challenging road smutz off.

I get it. And I hand washed for the first summer I had my car. Then winter kicked in, plus having two young kids, I just don't have the time to hand wash and I need to get the salt and grim off. I only do touchless washes. Its just crazy that it only happened to that one piece.

I'm re-opening this thread. I have a Model Y with the "degrading black exterior trim" issue and scheduled a service appointment for it.

At first, they offered a "goodwill" cleaning. I pushed back a bit and pointed out that I'd already tried delicately removing the oily, iridescent film on some of degraded window trim but that it came back within hours to some spots, and the rest of it within a day, without even having driven the car. I said I found it hard to believe that a "cleaning" was the issue and that clearly there's a material fault.

The service advisor went back and chatted with an experienced tech or manager, and then returned to say there's "A known issue with the black window trim on vehicles manufactured before Nov 2020". They've agreed to cover the replacement under warrantee.

Reactions: VT_EE