Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should you buy a Tesla? Perspective after 6 years, 2 cars and 100k+ miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I updated the "communication" section to mention an example: 90-vs-120kW charging. After seeing AmpedRealtor's timeline and re-reading Tesla's press releases, I am confident that they are covered legally and don't owe anybody anything. They updated their charging speed; newer cars charge faster. No issue there; that's how product improvements work. That's a good thing.

BUT, they sure communicated the change poorly. Everybody I spoke to for over a year - including employees - assumed the change was purely on the Supercharger side and ALL cars would be able to use it. (I had even re-read the releases at the time because I was afraid my old car would not work; but misunderstood them because they are just not clear enough). It turns out that over 2000 cars (and not just the first 2000! Most were AFTER the 120kW beta announcement - although all were before Tesla announced the 120kW rollout) are stuck at 90kW; something the owner community only figured out on their own recently with a bunch of cooperation. Tesla still has not made a public statement, notified affected owners, or even responded to most inquiries. They have only answered to a few customers that emailed the VP.

Old owners got everything they were promised; the upgrade was a good thing (and through better throughput and higher available amps when sharing, even helps 90kW owners); everybody should be happy. But Tesla's poor communication led to unrealistic expectations that made a lot of people unhappy. Realistic expectations are the key to happiness with any product.

Their cars are still worth buying, no question. Nobody else is making anything in this category, and the cars (and Supercharging) are awesome. The key to happiness with your purchase is to make sure you can live with what the car has when it's delivered, and don't count on future improvements that Tesla talks about - then you won't be disappointed if something doesn't show up; rather, you will get a pleasant surprise when things do show up (and they do sometimes do that).

Last edited:
The key to happiness with your purchase is to make sure you can live with what the car has when it's delivered, and don't count on future improvements that Tesla talks about - then you won't be disappointed if something doesn't show up; rather, you will get a pleasant surprise when things do show up (and they do sometimes do that).

This is true with any tech product. You buy based on what the equipment does when you purchase it, not on what the marketing department says will happen with the next software release.

The key to happiness with your purchase is to make sure you can live with what the car has when it's delivered, and don't count on future improvements that Tesla talks about - then you won't be disappointed if something doesn't show up; rather, you will get a pleasant surprise when things do show up (and they do sometimes do that).
Correct.
This is true with any tech product. You buy based on what the equipment does when you purchase it
Incorrect.

No other tech product that I've purchased gave me a due bill for components. For my Tesla, it included things like HPWC, paint armor, parcel shelf, etc.

And no other tech product that I've purchased involved trusting a company to build something like a Supercharger.

Tesla is breaking new ground here. And some things are different. We've given them some trust, and they need to respect that trust properly.

It's been a year since I first posted this. We now have over "7 years" and 80k miles on the cars (there was a big jump this year because we took an 11,000-mile road trip), so I made a few small edits to the text.

It's been a year since I first posted this. We now have over "7 years" and 80k miles on the cars (there was a big jump this year because we took an 11,000-mile road trip), so I made a few small edits to the text.

Chad, my friend! I missed this thread earlier. Since we have an almost identical complement of Teslas (including the Model X reservation), and a very similar set of usage patterns (you are a little ahead on total mileage), I thought it interesting to compare notes.

I can endorse absolutely everything you have said. In fact, our comparable experiences and our reactions to them have been, again, almost identical.

For those shopping for a Tesla, be assured, Chad's is not just one person's opinion!

Chad, my friend! I missed this thread earlier. Since we have an almost identical complement of Teslas (including the Model X reservation), and a very similar set of usage patterns (you are a little ahead on total mileage), I thought it interesting to compare notes.

I can endorse absolutely everything you have said. In fact, our comparable experiences and our reactions to them have been, again, almost identical.

For those shopping for a Tesla, be assured, Chad's is not just one person's opinion!

I'm another Roadster/Sig S/future X owner, here to corroborate what Chad wrote: it's all true! And not just this thread: you can take anything Chad has written on TMC to the bank.

I missed this thread when it started last year; I'm glad it got updated, and hope many more prospective owners find it.

Chad:

The reason you bought your roadster is why I bought my Sig Perf Model S ... to help Tesla make it so they could mass produce the Model 3.

Best thing I ever did for "myself" ... to anyone that can ... buy one!

Joe Fee

this is a brilliant thread.
My wife and I bought a Leaf a while ago and will never buy another gas car. We are flip flopping on the whole S/X question, both will be excellent - we just have to figure out which one best suits our needs. But definitely - gas no more.

Many thanks for this thread. It has helped me move forward towards purchasing a Tesla.

I am a retired person and can not (do not) go into debt. I keep my vehicles a long time (10 years currently). The garage has a Lexus LS430 (ICE) and a truck (DICE). It is getting time to replace the ICE although it has caused no problems in 10 years. Probably will keep it and get a CPO'd Model S or a Model 3. Either one will have to last at least 10 years or better. I certainly don't want to do gas again and have to live with it for another 10 years.

Once I get my finances sorted out, a Tesla will be headed for the garage!

Again, many thanks for this thread.

Last edited:
I was just honored by a visit from ChadS and his wonderful wife as they came through Montana at the tail end of their most recent Long distance Travels, 11,000 miles. Their experience and generous well written articles have been very helpful to many of us to see how superior going EV really is. I will add that Alliant Credit Union out of Chicago gave me, a Montana Resident, a loan at 1.49% interest on the full amount of my Model S 85. Tesla also delivered my car to my home and have treated me super special being out here in Montana. I am very impressed with my Model S, and coming on my 1 year Anniversary on December 16, 2014, I have named my car , Inspiration, because it is an inspiration everywhere I go. Get ready to be treated like a rock star with people taking pictures of your car, and get used to spending a little "Tesla Time" answering FAQ's. You sure don't get all that with just any new car! Thanks again ChadS for all that you so freely share with the TMC community!

What you say about right foot driving and control without gears is spot on. I've only driven an Tesla S for 20 minutes and an i3 the same. I was like a duck to water. The Tesla was the second test drive gave a bit of suprise... changing lanes on the motorway I added some right foot to acclerate and nearly hit the car in front - I'm used to driving a 1.6 normally asipirated ICE!

Like you say about trading for what is suitable - I'd love one of each - an i3 for Mrs and Telsa for me. i3 is coming first as it's cheaper, hopefully Model S by 2016.

Many thanks for this thread. It has helped me move forward towards purchasing a Tesla.

I am a retired person and can not (do not) go into debt. I keep my vehicles a long time (10 years currently). The garage has a Lexus LS430 (ICE) and a truck (DICE). It is getting time to replace the ICE although it has caused no problems in 10 years. Probably will keep it and get a CPO'd Model S or a Model 3. Either one will have to last at least 10 years or better. I certainly don't want to do gas again and have to live with it for another 10 years.

Once I get my finances sorted out, a Tesla will be headed for the garage!

Again, many thanks for this thread.
I understand your views quite well. While not yet retired, I've always kept cars for a very long period of time (typically 8-9 years). I owned (and loved) a Lexus LS430UL, as well as now own a Lexus (LS600hL) - which is far rarer than a Tesla (or even a Lamborghini for that matter). I bought those cars for reliability. I wanted a car I could drive, not think about it breaking, and provide years of trouble-free service. Their high initial cost became very reasonable when you considered their longevity, and resale value. In fact, before the Model S was reviewed by Consumer Reports, the Lexus LS460 (the non-hybrid version of the LS600hL) was the highest rated car ever.

All that being said, I've ordered a Model S, am anxiously awaiting delivery, and I view this car to be a perfect addition to my history of cars that I keep for a long time, and are very reliably. They are obviously built very well, and Consumer Reports was extremely impressed by them. My friends who own them are thrilled at their purchase.

So when your finances warrant it, make the jump and buy the Tesla. I'm sure you'll be very happy. Probably get a decent trade in for your LS430 too - they're known as very good used cars.

Oh, and Chad - nice thread. Very detailed and helpful.

Chad, this thread is amazing, thanks for your thoughtful contribution. I've been waiting two years for the AWD announcement, and since about two hours after the D Event I was in the queue. Contributions like yours help me get through the waiting period I have in front of me. Thanks.

thanx for all the posts. I really want to buy a Tesla. I love driving and I think I will love driving in a Tesla even more. the only downside to driving is that I live in the netherlands where one liter of oil (about 4 gallons) costs $2.40 this really takes the fun out of driving. I'm only 23 so won't be able to purchase one for a long time. then again. if Tesla shares keep performing this way. who knows!

It's now been two years since I started this thread. We've had the Roadster for 6 years, and the Model S for 3. We have over 100,000 miles on them (a pretty even split, about 52k on the Roadster and 54k on the Model S - both past their original bumper-to-bumper warranties). Yes, the cars/company have some issues as detailed above. And there have been some more issues (general issues; no issues with my cars) documented on these forums over the past year: sharp restrictions on valet service, charging more for remote service, P85D meeting performance numbers but not horsepower ratings, still no autopilot nearly a year after announcement.

But there's been good news too - dual motors, some bits of Autopilot, NetGen seats, Insane mode, Ludicrous mode, 90kWh, etc. 2.x Roadsters have a new, bigger, cheaper battery available (though no word on if it will ever work with 1.5s). And I expect some new features on the X (the first ones ship in 2 days!) will soon show up in the S line.

Other manufacturers are talking about EVs with 200+ miles of range, which is great though it appears it will be at least a year before we see any of them - many years for some, and never for others. Still none talk about a Supercharger network, though there is talk of another manufacturer talking about sharing the network. (Fingers crossed! Would love to see it become a defacto standard. I have tried others, but the Supercharger network is by far the best)

For now, I still feel this way:

It's not perfect, but no car is - there is nothing remotely comparable, gas or electric. If our Model S was stolen or wrecked and I got an insurance check to buy another car, I wouldn't even look at anything else (well, at least not until similar but smaller cars like the Model 3 are available). If you can, buy one.

Last edited:
It's now been two years since I started this thread. We've had the Roadster for 6 years, and the Model S for 3. We have over 100,000 miles on them (a pretty even split, about 52k on the Roadster and 54k on the Model S - both past their original bumper-to-bumper warranties). Yes, the cars/company have some issues as detailed above. And there have been some more issues documented on these forums over the past year (i.e. sharp restrictions on valet service, charging more for remote service, P85D meeting performance numbers but not horsepower ratings, still no autopilot nearly a year after announcement).

But there's been good news too - dual motors, some bits of Autopilot, NetGen seats, Insane mode, Ludicrous mode, 90kWh, etc. 2.x Roadsters have a new, bigger, cheaper battery available (though no word on if it will ever work with 1.5s). And I expect some new features on the X (the first ones ship in 2 days!) will soon show up in the S line.

Other manufacturers are talking about EVs with 200+ miles of range, which is great though it appears it will be at least a year before we see any of them - many years for some, and never for others. Still none talk about a Supercharger network, though there is talk of another manufacturer talking about sharing the network. (Fingers crossed! Would love to see it become a defacto standard. I have tried others, but the Supercharger network is by far the best)

For now, I still feel this way:

Well put, Chad. Our almost-matching Roadster and Signature Model's have similar mileages as well. Our Signature Model S a bit more (63k+) and our Roadster a bit less (40k+).

We now have a third Tesla in our garage, my wife's P85D, which has already about 15k miles on it. She adores it, of course!

Thanks for your clear-eyed pioneering leadership in this community and with Plug-In America. You are a credit to the cause!

Cheers,
V