Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should you use a Polish, compound + polish or a one step on New paint?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Peeps! looking for your advice on correcting paint before ceramic coating. I picked up my Y in December. Paint is in really good shape but has a few minor swirls. Any recommendations on what polish to use? I have a new bottle of Chemical Guys VSS + white pad but want to make sure I am using the correct chemicals to minimize removing too much clear.

Process I will follow is:
1. Wash with Dawn
2. Clay Bar
3.Polish
4.ISO Wipe
5.Ceramic Coat

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

all those steps are correct I would also do a iron remover before the claybar, a good thing to do as well is use a lube with your polish not only when doing the claybar it will prevent burning your paint with the polish.

Hi all,

I just took delivery of a red Tesla MY, it has some minor swirls on it, am planning on DIY PPF and ceramic coating and hence had to polish the finish. I have done waxing in the past and have no experience in polishing, from what I gathered DA polishers are safe and below are some combinations am thinking, please suggest.

1. Adams 9mm swirl killer, white foam pad + Adams polish alone
2. Griots G9, diydetail gold standard waffle foam + diydetail gold standard polish or Meguiars M210

Am planning to test and learn a panel or two on my white Audi, before trying on Tesla red paint.

DA polishers are fairly safe and easy to use. The Audi paint might be really different than Tesla so keep in mind what works on one might be too aggressive or not work at all.

A single step light cut and polish is good combo to try with a foam pad. I'm planning to use Sonnax Perfect Finish with a RUPES yellow foam pad. I'm planning to apply Gyeon MOHS Evo.

Reactions: Amhappy
DA polishers are fairly safe and easy to use. The Audi paint might be really different than Tesla so keep in mind what works on one might be too aggressive or not work at all.

A single step light cut and polish is good combo to try with a foam pad. I'm planning to use Sonnax Perfect Finish with a RUPES yellow foam pad. I'm planning to apply Gyeon MOHS Evo.
Thank you for the details, I don’t have a polisher yet and hence have to buy one , I see a lot from Adams which seems to work for my situation.

Will try in a small space in Tesla paint and use it in other places. Am planning to go with Adams advanced graphene coating, read good reviews about both mohs and Adams.

Hoping for the best !

Thank you for the details, I don’t have a polisher yet and hence have to buy one , I see a lot from Adams which seems to work for my situation.

Will try in a small space in Tesla paint and use it in other places. Am planning to go with Adams advanced graphene coating, read good reviews about both mohs and Adams.

Hoping for the best !
I have a Flex 3401 XC and it's fantastic. Harbor Freight just released a duplicate for a fantastic price. Great option for a better forced rotation polisher for DIYer. 8 Amp 6 in. Forced Rotation Dual Action Polisher just get this and the smaller Flex backing plate.

I have a Flex 3401 XC and it's fantastic. Harbor Freight just released a duplicate for a fantastic price. Great option for a better forced rotation polisher for DIYer. 8 Amp 6 in. Forced Rotation Dual Action Polisher just get this and the smaller Flex backing plate.
Thank you, I decided to add PPF in the front and then do ceramic, I read that PPF will hide minor swirl marks, so am planning to go ahead with it. Let’s see.

Yesterday installed a pillar delete kit from Tesbros, very good kit.

Thank you, I decided to add PPF in the front and then do ceramic, I read that PPF will hide minor swirl marks, so am planning to go ahead with it. Let’s see.

Yesterday installed a pillar delete kit from Tesbros, very good kit.
I polished my new MYP in white. The paint was actually very good from the factory. I still did a 1 step polish to get it from 98% to 100%. With PPF you won’t notice the lack of a polish in most cases.