Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should you wait for 2023 Tesla Model Y Long Range with 4680 Battery or by Tesla now? [Jan 2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"As it stands, current battery capacity and Tesla Supercharger network is not that far off from parity with ICE road trip times."

This is literally a complete lie. LOL
I'll disagree with this statement without giving a thumbs down. You've been around for a few weeks. Not enough time to garner enough experience driving to make that statement.

Reactions: boulder.dude
As for the OP's question. I thought about waiting, but the 2170 is proven technology. Not that the 4680 won't be a success, but I don't see a big advantage to waiting NOW that the price decreases are on the table. I expect prices to increase some in the weeks/months ahead, even if they don't reach the late 2022 heights. YMMV

It is a great time to buy a Tesla. It was an even greater time in mid January. The MY has increased by $1500 since then. Prices were reduced to 2020 prices, erasing not only the price increases due to high demand, but also erasing inflation of 8% for the past few years. Mind u, all raw materials, chips, energy has increased sharply, but here we are. I can't help but think Musk overcorrected when he made the decision. I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, or wait around anymore. Prices have nowhere to go but up. I ordered on 1/13 and take delivery in two days.

I wanted 4680s, but jumped on the price drop and ordered on 1/14.

4680s have many manufacturing/cost benefits to Tesla. But benefits to the consumers are unknown at this time.

Should you wait for a product that has unknown benefits to you? Or start enjoying your Y… ASAP?

If the latest upcoming technology is what you really need, then don’t buy a Tesla ever, because they will continuously improve their vehicles every few months.

The 4680 structural pack model Y has a LOT if “under the hood” changes that you won’t see as a user/driver but which make the platform simpler and more reliable (in theory). They simplified a lot of things in the redesign. They also added sound insulation to electrical components. New motor too I believe.

I still don't know why they didn't make them like propane cylinders. You pull into a place and they take the existing ones out, measure the charge for your refund, insert new ones and bill you for the difference. All done in five minutes or less

I know that wouldn't be structural, but it seems like it would have a lot of advantages - and I've even read where NIO had such a system

Hello guys,

Havent seen info about the structural pack / megacast Model Y:

- What are the advantages of the 4680 cells?
- Is it lighter? By how much?
- Is performance capped or why the low range?
- Does it drive and feel the same as a regular Y?

Thanks!
JC

1. No real benefits at this time other than being able to brag you have a car with the new batteries and the structural pack design, which could be seen as good or bad.

2. Negligible. Someone weighed it before vs 2170 LR and it’s like 20lbs lighter.

3. The 4680 cells have lower energy density than the 2170 cells currently so the battery pack just doesn’t store as much energy, hence lower range.

4. Basically yes.

Reactions: James Cole
Well… looks like its only cheaper to make then…
Yep. Most of the benefits were streamlining production for Tesla and the cost savings associated with that.

The 4680 cell was much overhyped as some sort of magical panacea but it’s far from that, at least in its current form. Of course the 4680 cell density should improve with time with design and chemistry improvements, as did the other cells, but for now there’s no real benefit other than being able to say you have the “latest” design.

Reactions: Daekwan