Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my 90D in September 2015 and have been happier driving it than any other car I have driven. However, I am bothered by the fixed high position of the front seat shoulder straps. Because of their position coming out of the pillar they come across my neck near my chin, too high to be comfortable and also too high to work properly in the case of a collision. Raising the position of the seat higher and farther forward than I would like makes things a little better, but obviously this is a not so great trade-off.

I would love to have a guide installed lower on the pillar or onto the seat itself to direct the strap immediately over my shoulder. Does anybody else have this complaint, and has anybody has success in fixing it?

They sell boosters, do you need pedals adjusted too? Talk to the service center, they may be able to help.

They have seat belt pads on Amazon and at Autozone.

However, if the seat belt is at your neck level something needs to be done, trauma during an accident could cause carotid artery dissection and massive stroke or break your neck.

They sell boosters, do you need pedals adjusted too? Talk to the service center, they may be able to help.

They have seat belt pads on Amazon and at Autozone.

However, if the seat belt is at your neck level something needs to be done, trauma during an accident could cause carotid artery dissection and massive stroke or break your neck.

If I understand how these work, IMO they are extremely dangerous and should not be on the market.

Think about what happens in an accident where you are thrown forward:
  1. The shoulder tension retractor on the B pillar locks.
  2. Your torso moves forward with a strong tug on the belt... and the aftermarket adjuster.
  3. The adjuster slides all the way back to the buckle (the friction from the adjuster is no match for your body weight).
  4. Now the belts slack is 2X the amount of the adjustment.
  5. Any safety benefit to your neck from the adjuster is lost and your body moves forward further with a strong jerk when slack catches up with tension.
  6. Not good :(

A pad on the belt or a non-adjustable buckle extension are probably better options.
Or something like this Amazon.com: INHDBOX New Safety Seat Belt Extension Belt Adapter Belt Buckle Insert Clip for VW, BMW, Audi: Automotive

I have this complaint as well. I tried the adjusters linked up thread, but didn't like them. I currently have my seat height adjusted to help and I bought a fake leather cover for mine since I don't like those fuzzy ones.

I have considered pedal extenders or some other modification. The airbag is in the side of the seat, which is why I am guessing it doesn't have a guide like the back seats do.

I think one could be added to the pillar if one was inclined towards mods to figure out where it could be attached.

I keep hoping the adjustment mechanism from the other cars (X and 3) will eventually be added to the S. Then I will see if a retrofit would be possible. I would pay a lot of money for that option if Tesla offered it.

If I understand how these work, IMO they are extremely dangerous and should not be on the market.

Think about what happens in an accident where you are thrown forward:
  1. The shoulder tension retractor on the B pillar locks.
  2. Your torso moves forward with a strong tug on the belt... and the aftermarket adjuster.
  3. The adjuster slides all the way back to the buckle (the friction from the adjuster is no match for your body weight).
  4. Now the belts slack is 2X the amount of the adjustment.
  5. Any safety benefit to your neck from the adjuster is lost and your body moves forward further with a strong jerk when slack catches up with tension.
  6. Not good :(

A pad on the belt or a non-adjustable buckle extension are probably better options.
Or something like this Amazon.com: INHDBOX New Safety Seat Belt Extension Belt Adapter Belt Buckle Insert Clip for VW, BMW, Audi: Automotive
Agree completely. These look unbelievably dangerous in an accident. I wouldn't touch them unless they were tested to validate they did not compromise safety.

I just picked up my 100D last week, and I have already complained to Tesla about the height of the fixed seat belt on the door posts. They put the height adjuster on the model X, and one would have thought they would have added it to the model S, but obviously not. I would not use any of the aftermarket extenders, and so I adjusted my seat as best I could to keep the belt off my neck, but it is very close, and a concern if I were to get into an accident.

Beyond the electronics, which are phenomenal, it appears that the design team spends very little, if any time considering non electrical elements, such as the seat belts, console configuration, storage compartments, etc. At some point, when competition picks up, if those things are not taken into account, Tesla will start losing market share to the likes of Porsche, Mercedes, and others. I just turned in a Buick Regal GS I had for a few years, and took a look at the new models. I was really impressed by the changes to the interior. It was easy to tell they spent a good deal of time refining the interior of all their 2018 models from the 2017 models - something it appears Tesla seems to ignore.